Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OtherJohn

How facebook works with the Well-Trained Mind Community

PEOPLE. Please. The "like this" button is a forum tool. The status updates were forum tools. Our forum tools have nothing to do with Facebook. We don't want to have to disable them, like John already had to do with the status update, to calm things down.

All we had was a button where you could share a thread on Facebook. That was it. Now it's gone.

Well cool, thanks for explaining that! (And thanks ElegantLion!) I had sort of wondered if that might be the case, because it doesn't have the FB thumbs-up thing. I actually really like it. I just needed to know for certain before I tried it.

Paula, I completely understand what you are saying. When I first saw it, I was a bit aghast myself. But, when I sat down and really worked through how this effects me, with my FB settings, I realized very little had changed. In fact there was a huge benefit for me. I like to be able to show people what an amazing community the homeschool world can have. This made it easier to do so! That is a win for us more moderate homeschoolers. If I shared a great thread on my FB, my friends could follow it back to the Hive but what they would see would be just as if I had copy and pasted it into my status bar.

I am grieving a bit the loss of great tool to help in dispelling the myths that all homeschoolers wear jean jumpers, are socially backward, and only buy in bulk. :)

PEOPLE. Please. The "like this" button is a forum tool. The status updates were forum tools. Our forum tools have nothing to do with Facebook. We don't want to have to disable them, like John already had to do with the status update, to calm things down.

All we had was a button where you could share a thread on Facebook. That was it. Now it's gone.

Aw! The status updates are gone? Drat. Those were cool.

Paula, I completely understand what you are saying. When I first saw it, I was a bit aghast myself. But, when I sat down and really worked through how this effects me, with my FB settings, I realized very little had changed. In fact there was a huge benefit for me. I like to be able to show people what an amazing community the homeschool world can have. This made it easier to do so! That is a win for us more moderate homeschoolers. If I shared a great thread on my FB, my friends could follow it back to the Hive but what they would see would be just as if I had copy and pasted it into my status bar.

I am grieving a bit the loss of great tool to help in dispelling the myths that all homeschoolers wear jean jumpers, are socially backward, and only buy in bulk. :)

I'm on your side with this, btw.

I think people are also concerned about the Facebook feed that appears directly above the spot where those status updates were on the index page, and shows the Facebook names and photos of people who "like" Peace Hill Press.

That's nothing more than a snapshot of the PHP facebook page. We hope that forum members who *do* use FB will also visit the PHP FB page. But that doesn't interact with the forum in any way.

You guys do understand that these forums cost us a lot of money, right? And that we pay for them out of PHP? So if we can encourage people to visit PHP-related pages, we will. And that's why you're all here without paying a subscription fee. And why we are able to keep the site ad-free.

It's not the like button here. That has nothing to do with facebook, that is a board specific feature. The privacy concern is with the "share" button that was at the bottom and also very prominent on the mobile site. The like button is like the old rep points, but that's a whole other can of worms.

It's sad how FB so utterly owns the work "like" that it being related seems a natural assumption, no? :glare:

That's great, and the possibility still exists to do so by copying and pasting a link, not just copy and paste. You can still utilize and reach out to the homeschooling community in that manner. It's just a few more steps.

However, many people don't want their real life mixed with what they have here. Many people don't have anyone who is interested in their homeschooling lives. I honestly don't want certain people in my real life to know about the difficulties my son might have with something educationally related. I know *I* don't have to link that information, or share. I think some of us are caught up in semantics of board specific features vs how facebook uses "shared" features on the back end. The bottom line for me is that I put what I want on facebook, I can operate in that world a little differently than I do here. Not in a Batman-esque kind of way, but sometimes with concern for my son's anonymity. I don't trust facebook the company, not the users, to not come out using that "shared" information down the road.

So does anyone know what facebook does with the "shared" information? Can a tech person speak to that. I'm not talking about what sites you visit, but things that you share or have been shared via facebook with facebook profile attached. And if I "shared" a thread from WTM to Facebook wouldn't that show up under my real name and if I said something like "Oh I started this great topic on xyz," then my user name would no longer be private. Not that it is now, I'm not hiding,

And when you start marketing to the larger homeschool market (that 1 million), you flood the boards in a way that DILUTES what united us. We aren't merely all homeschoolers, sorry. We're homeschoolers who are pretty passionate and identify or appreciate, at least on some level, WTM. *That's* why we're here. When you start marking to the 1 million, are you planning on selling WTM to all them? They could have already found it at their library or on amazon just by looking for homeschooling books. When you dilute us to that extent, flooding us with people who don't give a RIP about WTM, you lose the commonality. Then classical (and classically quirky SN and all the varieties we have) get lost in the jumble.

I don't come here to hang out on a homeschool board with 1 million people. I come here to hang out with 50K people I actually have something in common with. When we've had board meet-ups, they've been glorious, because we *do* have something in common. I'm really not sure what your vision is and where we end up if you dilute us to 1 million.

Elizabeth, I totally get what you are saying, but I also had to reflect back on my own history on this board. I ended up here on a Google search for homeschooling. I had been on the Sonlight board, but by the end of our second year of homeschooling, I was definitely ready for something beyond Sonlight. My SIL had lent me her copy of TWTM when I first started homeschooling, but I found it to be overwhelming at that time. Now, after over three years, TWTM seems like a second skin, but it took time and hundreds of conversations on the board and hundreds of hours of homeschooling to get here. For SWB, from a marketing standpoint, pulling in someone like me, a "convert" if you will, is probably a good thing. I own at least eight of her books and have actually read them as well as downloaded numerous lectures. Through the years I have incorporated many aspects of TWTM not only into my homeschooling methods, but into my self-education.

However, I also remember when the K-8 board did not have a logic stage subforum and we were getting a ton of traffic. I was forever losing threads and at times was overwhelmed by the sheer volume of posts. If a tool, even a good one like these boards, takes too long for me to use then I am unlikely to use it much. I don't thing growth for this forum is a bad thing at all, as long as it is managed.

I do share the suspicion that Facebook's privacy policies are not all they should be. If someone figured out who I really am from being linked to Facebook, I would be unhappy.

I hope this post makes sense. The whole thread is in miniscule print. I will zoom it as soon as I figure out how to do it. A new computer with a very sensitive touchpad, Windows 8, and now a new forum? It is almost more than a girl can mange. :tongue_smilie:

Would you mind posting the name of the add-on? Can it be used for firefox?

I use Facebook Disconnect in Chrome.

Well I think I'm finally getting happy. I finally found most of those things with the privacy stuff in FB and was able to kill the platform thing. So now on the home page for the boards I just get a box saying if I want that stuff to enable it. So at least now I can tell what on the boards here is intra-board and what is sending out to FB. I couldn't even tell that before. Left me scared to click anything!

I still have to read through the cookie and tracking stuff, but that's a FB issue, not a board issue.

Yes, I've said my peace and then some ;) Time to quit pretending it isn't Monday and go educate a child, one who needs to shave today, but still a child.

Liking a post will not send it to anyone's FB page! I think people are blowing this out proportion. I've "liked" several posts and nothing shows up on my FB wall.

:iagree:

That's nothing more than a snapshot of the PHP facebook page. We hope that forum members who *do* use FB will also visit the PHP FB page. But that doesn't interact with the forum in any way.

You guys do understand that these forums cost us a lot of money, right? And that we pay for them out of PHP? So if we can encourage people to visit PHP-related pages, we will. And that's why you're all here without paying a subscription fee. And why we are able to keep the site ad-free.

Absolutely.

Change is always difficult. We see this in our own business. We make a change and the sense of entitlement to "the old way" by our patrons is really enough to make you want to scream, "That's IT! Everybody OUT!" Thanks for not doing that to us. Yet.

I found the setting in facebook to turn off the sidebar thingy that shows people who like Peace Hill Press on facebook. Go to privacy settings>apps, games, and websites. Under apps you use, I turned platform off. You may be able to tinker with it to adjust for individual websites, but I just turned everything off.

Thank you, and I also appreciate your listening to the members and taking the FB link away.

I for one don't resent efforts to grow the community or leverage its collective expertise. I just don't think encouraging and enabling easy sharing of posts outside the hive without at least a rough community consensus is an appropriate way to do it. The boards that integrate this feature most successfully tend to be tech boards: people go there primarily for an answer to a pesky question, and troubleshooting and problem solving tend to be the board focus. Discussion is favoured here, sometimes quite personal.

Hm, I was clicking multiquote, but only one quote showed up.

I agree that this is somewhat being blown out of proportion due to people's lack of understanding about how these things work. Granted, I know I put more out there than many people do.

That said, it does get hard to communicate in this environment if you don't even know information such as my kids' ages. If you ask, "hey, what is a good spelling program," then people are going to need to know your kid's age, grade level and specific issues they might have related to spelling. If the kid is in third grade and is a natural speller, then something like Spelling Workout may be enough. If the kid is in high school, has come out of public school where the phonics program is unknown (or non-existent) and is having consistent issues with spelling, then I'm going to suggest something like Spalding.

Likewise, if I need help with an issue with one of my teens, I like to know who is answering. Do they have experience in this realm? This applies to *many* support issues-moving and homeschooling in various states, homeschooling while geographically separated from family (including your husband), how to keep your MIL from popping by to visit during school hours, how to juggle things when you are homeschooling some kids and some of your kids are in classroom (or brick and mortar or cyber or institutional) school.

I think it is almost *impossible* to give and receive actual homeschool support and remain 100% anonymous to one another, to include the ages of our kids.

So does anyone know what facebook does with the "shared" information? Can a tech person speak to that. I'm not talking about what sites you visit, but things that you share or have been shared via facebook with facebook profile attached. And if I "shared" a thread from WTM to Facebook wouldn't that show up under my real name and if I said something like "Oh I started this great topic on xyz," then my user name would no longer be private. Not that it is now, I'm not hiding,

It's aggregate information. So, for example, I like PHP on facebook. Many of my friends do too. Many of *them* like Sonlight, so Facebook thinks I should like Sonlight and suggests Sonlight to me on a regular basis. It's an aggregate marketing tool.

I'm probably not being clear here. I want you guys to make money, which is why I buy your products and tell other people about them.

I just don't know if it's great that I now know where the 8 people whose photos are currently displayed live and what they and their families look like. I know that information was always out there. I know it doesn't mean it's going to show up on my Facebook page. I'm not sure if there is an option to display that same feed with a number of people who "like" PHP and include an option for liking your Facebook page without showing other people who already like it.

I'm sorry we are being so ungrateful and frustrating.

I for one don't resent efforts to grow the community or leverage its collective expertise. I just don't think encouraging and enabling easy sharing of posts outside the hive without at least a rough community consensus is an appropriate way to do it. The boards that integrate this feature most successfully tend to be tech boards: people go there primarily for an answer to a pesky question and troubleshooting, and problem solving tend to be the board focus. Discussion is favoured here, sometimes quite personal.

Fair enough. And I appreciate your thoughtful response. Scare language and blanket condemnation of the board administrators doesn't help us out. Well-reasoned objections do.

SWB

I just don't know if it's great that I now know where the 8 people whose photos are currently displayed live and what they and their families look like. I know that information was always out there. I know it doesn't mean it's going to show up on my Facebook page. I'm not sure if there is an option to display that same feed with a number of people who "like" PHP and include an option for liking your Facebook page without showing other people who already like it.

I'm not sure that I'm following you. All of that information is already on the FB page, which is way more available to the general public than this forum. How does reproducing the page here change anything?

Help me out here...

I'm probably not being clear here. I want you guys to make money, which is why I buy your products and tell other people about them.

I'm sorry we are being so ungrateful and frustrating.

But, the Facebook page has always operated like that. You have always been able to see other people who like the pages you like on Facebook whether it's PHP, Target, Seventh Generation, the US Army and other public pages. That has nothing to do with the new forum setup. If I go to the PHP Facebook page and click "likes," they are all people who are on my Facebook. But, if I am logged out of Facebook, then they are random people.

People complain here a lot about unsupportive friends and family members in reguard to honeschooling. Won't the constant facebook links just bring that drama here. I'm a relatively new/unknown poster so I'll admit I'm an afterschooler not a homeschooler but I would like to see this board reservred for educational conversations, support, and information. Do you think the facebook will bring drama or people enthusiastic about education? Google is different because people using google are following topics. Facebook traffic would send people following people here. Although I wouldn't mind any of my friends or family reading this forum and have even suggested it to a few.

Fair enough. And I appreciate your thoughtful response. Scare language and blanket condemnation of the board administrators doesn't help us out. Well-reasoned objections do.

SWB

Certain people use scare language and blanket condemnation to complain about nearly everything they don't like. It is sort of like trying to use a hammer in place of every other tool available on the planet.

I've been thinking this over, and I agree with elegantlion that I don't trust FB not to change the settings and share more info than PHP or any of us initially agreed to share. If all the FB and other social media widgets never come back, that suits me.

That said, maybe it's a good thing that people are being forced to understand how public the internet is. WTM has been 100% public for a long, long time. Anyone could link a thread to FB easily, already. And if I don't want anyone to see my FB profile or get any info about me, I should have fixed my settings a long time ago. The only one responsible for my internet safety and privacy is me.

I don't know why people don't understand this about FB. I'm not just talking about here; I'm talking about traversing the world wide web only to find out stuff about FB friends that I don't think they meant to share. Did the elder at my church really intend to share with everyone that he read the article about Madonna's striptease in London or whatever? Did my neighbor really mean to share that she reads everything at TMZ and "likes" all the Justin Bieber articles? No. They were just there at those sites, looking around online the same way everybody casually looks at the grocery store tabloids, and FB recorded it and shared it, and they couldn't be bothered to follow the news and find out that FB does that.

Use the turn-off platform thingies. Opt out. Lock down your profile so if anybody does see you "liking" PHP, clicking on your profile shows them nothing. Remember that when you visit a page or "like" anything, FB might be recording and sharing that info. Change your settings so that only "friends" see what you post, instead of "friends of friends."

As some of us were just discussing (ironically) in our private FB group, saying anything on the internet is like running to the town square and hollering it at the top of your lungs. That's just true.

I'm not sure that I'm following you. All of that information is already on the FB page, which is way more available to the general public than this forum. How does reproducing the page here change anything?

Help me out here...

When I click on the Peace Hill Press Facebook page, I don't see links to anyone except people who have liked or commented on specific posts. It may be something with my settings, but I don't have the little box with people's photos and names that show up just because someone likes the page.

I understand there is no privacy on the internet. Having the photos on the side just makes it much, much easier to link board identities and real-life names. Now I've connected Dawn and Jennifer to their real life names because I recognized their photos. It's not that the information wasn't floating around out there. It's just that putting it in the same location as the board makes it really easy to open up a lot more detail about people's lives.

But, beaners, that's on Dawn and Jennifer to set their profile so strangers can't find out their names and locations and see all their photos. If they want to be public, that's their choice, too.

SWB

And I hate Facebook. :rofl:

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

But, the Facebook page has always operated like that. You have always been able to see other people who like the pages you like on Facebook whether it's PHP, Target, Seventh Generation, the US Army and other public pages. That has nothing to do with the new forum setup. If I go to the PHP Facebook page and click "likes," they are all people who are on my Facebook. But, if I am logged out of Facebook, then they are random people.

I guess this is something with my settings then. I don't see a bunch of pictures of other people who like the same thing unless I'm already friends with them. I checked the other Facebook pages I've liked, and there are only the number of people who like them and people I'm friends with who like them. I don't see any random people unless they have commented on or liked the status updates on that page.

It's aggregate information. So, for example, I like PHP on facebook. Many of my friends do too. Many of *them* like Sonlight, so Facebook thinks I should like Sonlight and suggests Sonlight to me on a regular basis. It's an aggregate marketing tool.

Thank you. Which makes me wonder why facebook was suggesting Cpap supplies and the NSA the other day. Maybe insomnia and 3 a.m. delusions are our commonality with my friends. :D

Honestly, I do appreciate this board and hate to sound antagonistic because I'm not upset. I just need the clarification so I understand what steps *I* need to take.

But, beaners, that's on Dawn and Jennifer to set their profile so strangers can't find out their names and locations and see all their photos. If they want to be public, that's their choice, too.

Fair enough.

I don't tend to assume that everyone who has failed to opt out of things on Facebook intended to opt in. They very well may want all of the members here to have that information, and are happy that it is being shared. I probably shouldn't speak for anyone else on whether or not they want their information there. My own account shouldn't have me showing up in those places, and I don't have PHP liked, so my own information is unlikely to show up. I'm happy enough with that, and I'll let other people decide how they feel.

And now I am going to bow out because it is taking too long for me to load the pages and make my posts. :) Everyone have a good afternoon!

Help me out here...

I think it's this.

I understand there is no privacy on the internet. Having the photos on the side just makes it much, much easier to link board identities and real-life names. Now I've connected Dawn and Jennifer to their real life names because I recognized their photos. It's not that the information wasn't floating around out there. It's just that putting it in the same location as the board makes it really easy to open up a lot more detail about people's lives.

For me it's not about people on FB finding me here because I've written something online I should of kept private. I'd be concerned about those million random vistors conecting who I am here to who I am IRL via FB.

ETA- And yes I would agree that it depends on my privacy settings. Can you stop your name from being shown on FB pages you have liked?

I guess this is something with my settings then. I don't see a bunch of pictures of other people who like the same thing unless I'm already friends with them. I checked the other Facebook pages I've liked, and there are only the number of people who like them and people I'm friends with who like them. I don't see any random people unless they have commented on or liked the status updates on that page.

Hm, it may have something to do with your settings then.

Thank you. Which makes me wonder why facebook was suggesting Cpap supplies and the NSA the other day. Maybe insomnia and 3 a.m. delusions are our commonality with my friends. :D

Honestly, I do appreciate this board and hate to sound antagonistic because I'm not upset. I just need the clarification so I understand what steps *I* need to take.

Probably CPAP supplies has to do with your age group. But, they also use targeted marketing based on things that you've searched recently. You have to disable all kinds of cookies that make sites functional in order to disable it all.

I really don't think you have your pulse on this community's feelings based on this post. There will be no valuable content to search if people leave or refrain from posting. People coming in due to targeted Google searches of content is very different than the drama social media has the potential to unleash.

Bill

Bill, I understand you don't like the change, but please don't assume you speak for the rest of the WTM community. This change is no different from when I've copied and pasted links to my status (rarely, but I've done it). It just saves me a step and I like it.

Ohh. That clears things up for me.

I do have one question that I haven't seen answered. I just signed up for FB a few months ago. I have a private board for close family and friends and a public homeschooling page that is linked to my blog. I've tried to keep homeschooling separate from family and friends. I did not link the accounts to WTM yet. If I link the WTM account to my homeschooling page, will that be fine? My public page is fairly anonymous(at least for FB :confused: ). I don't have any personal information there. I try not to put any personal info here either.

BTW THANK YOU for letting us edit old old posts. I went back to the few I thought I put a little too much info on and was able to edit them. :hurray:

same here

You know we all knew the hive was a public forum before and anything we posted would be there for anyone including friends etc to see. The difference was they had to seek it out, they had to actively google search etc. Now with the linking it is like rolling out the red carpet and flinging the door open and saying right this way to them. You know my sister can go with her friends to a coffee shop, completely public venue, yes anyone could listen in to what was being said but they would have to actually work for it kwim. This is like putting a bug on the table they are at and listening in that way. No effort, everything laid right out. Most of us do not want that bug handed right to others. What I post is no different than what I already say in person to my ex husband (which is why it irked me that thread was deleted, loser already knew what I thought of him), or to my family. But that does not mean I want them coming here and weighing in on all I post. Not to mention none of them agree with homeschooling and already have comments and judgements to make about my friends on fb that they can see on my page. Handing them that bug to listen in to all we say here, not just my posts but those of others too will actually create fights within my family. I have already been threatened with having CPS called if I wear a headcovering to pray because it must mean I am in a cult. Imagine them seeing me post in a thread about headcovering, or dress wearing, or submission. If I posted anything that even sounded like agreement they would create a huge fight and call CPS. Right now while they could see those posts they would have to know what they were searching for etc kwim.

While I understand you want to give the linking a solid go SWB I can tell you right now, the majority of the regular posters do not want it. I know of many that have said they will likely not return to the hive as anything but a lurker as long as the 2 are connected. I understand where they are coming from.

This is why I "like" very few pages on facebook. All of your likes are public. I won't "like" my kids' school or organizations we belong to. I don't want my name and photo showing up on their facebook pages or their websites. However, this is a problem with facebook, not the WTM forums. If you don't want your facebook info making its way onto this forum (or any other websites), you can fix that in your facebook account by unliking the pages that create privacy issues. I wish there was a way to like a page on facebook and only let your friends see that you liked it.

Oh, and I think that facebook is a bit sneaky with the likes. I clean mine up every once in a while, and somehow this year I managed to "like" Walmart's facebook page without knowing it (blech). I was wondering why Walmart facebook statuses kept popping up in my newsfeed. Tricksters.

Okay, people (gently) . . . if the CHIEF OF the CIA doesn't understand how the Internet works . . .

what?? lost now

You know we all knew the hive was a public forum before and anything we posted would be there for anyone including friends etc to see. The difference was they had to seek it out, they had to actively google search etc. Now with the linking it is like rolling out the red carpet and flinging the door open and saying right this way to them. You know my sister can go with her friends to a coffee shop, completely public venue, yes anyone could listen in to what was being said but they would have to actually work for it kwim. This is like putting a bug on the table they are at and listening in that way. No effort, everything laid right out. Most of us do not want that bug handed right to others. What I post is no different than what I already say in person to my ex husband (which is why it irked me that thread was deleted, loser already knew what I thought of him), or to my family. But that does not mean I want them coming here and weighing in on all I post. Not to mention none of them agree with homeschooling and already have comments and judgements to make about my friends on fb that they can see on my page. Handing them that bug to listen in to all we say here, not just my posts but those of others too will actually create fights within my family. I have already been threatened with having CPS called if I wear a headcovering to pray because it must mean I am in a cult. Imagine them seeing me post in a thread about headcovering, or dress wearing, or submission. If I posted anything that even sounded like agreement they would create a huge fight and call CPS. Right now while they could see those posts they would have to know what they were searching for etc kwim.

While I understand you want to give the linking a solid go SWB I can tell you right now, the majority of the regular posters do not want it. I know of many that have said they will likely not return to the hive as anything but a lurker as long as the 2 are connected. I understand where they are coming from.

Forgive me if I'm ignorant (again)....I'm trying to make heads and tails of all of this and I guess I'm not understanding what you are saying. The only way they could see any of that stuff anyway, from here, is if YOU physically clicked the button. Right?? Or am I wrong again?? :huh:

AMEN to that.

***going in search of something a little stronger than my morning coffee**

I hope you found what you were looking for. :D

I would suspect that Other John is not the only person at PHP that is running on less sleep. :grouphug:

Susan, without this board, my homeschooling journey would have been far less productive, more difficult, and lacking in the depth that we finally achieved. The amount I have spent on TWTM products does not begin to offset what I have gained from being a member here. You truly have my gratitude.

Perhaps, in hindsight, it would have been good to have a sticky post labled, "Facebook and your privacy," that spelled out exactly what is gained from linking TWTM to Facebook and what is given up. Specific steps that would help those who are not technically saavy would be appreciated. It just needs to be short, sweet, and very clear.

I understand that what I post on this board is not private.

EAch time I choose to ask a question that goes beyond a simple product recommendation, I have to weigh out the risks. When my daughter, who was suffering from depression, made the decision to come home for her senior year when she had previously been in public school, I had to decide how to ask for help, how much information to reveal, and even if I should ask here. The risk seemed considerable; I felt vulnerable, but I also had nowhere to turn in real life because frankly, this experience is outside most people's lives. For me, the risk was worth it. I know that I am not the only member who has been there and worn the badge.

Now, If I am told that the Facebook link would greatly increase the liklihood of the public figuring out who I am, then I would have to re-evaluate the risk-level. That is not a problem. I would probably take most everything personal out of my posts and keep it to a superficial level. I do think that it is those personal stories and the "humanity" of this board that give it its strength and depth. It is what makes it worth coming back again and again. I can adapt, but I would like to do so with all the information in hand.

I'm unsure how this would happen. It would happen if *you* shared a link, sure. If *I* shared a link? It wouldn't have anything about your real name and I am not friends with any of the people in your family. It wouldn't suddenly convert your forum name to your real name, even though we're friends on Facebook.

I think this is largely due to people not understanding how it works.

Okay, people (gently) . . . if the CHIEF OF the CIA doesn't understand how the Internet works . . .

This is a good point...

what?? lost now

The Chief of the CIA in the US is in trouble due to emails swapped with his mistress.

Forgive me if I'm ignorant (again)....I'm trying to make heads and tails of all of this and I guess I'm not understanding what you are saying. The only way they could see any of that stuff anyway, from here, is if YOU physically clicked the button. Right?? Or am I wrong again?? :huh:

I think you are correct.

Now, If I am told that the Facebook link would greatly increase the liklihood of the public figuring out who I am, then I would have to re-evaluate the risk-level. That is not a problem. I would probably take most everything personal out of my posts and keep it to a superficial level. I do think that it is those personal stories and the "humanity" of this board that give it its strength and depth. It is what makes it worth coming back again and again. I can adapt, but I would like to do so with all the information in hand.

I don't think this should be the case, but some people may need to adjust settings on facebook. I agree that a short, sweet, non-technical post on how to do that would ease a lot of people's minds. And I agree that an offer to change people's names once (without the username tracking) would help because it would help break those connections between our user accounts here and our facebook accounts that carry our real names. :)

Yeah, but he employs people who do. :coolgleamA:

Or so he thought . . .

(nice shades!)

Well, I'm guessing he didn't ask them the best way to hide the extra-marital affair he was having with a woman traveling with him (and who is also a military officer).

It is not the responsibility of WTM forum to educate facebook users about facebook privacy and interface settings, nor is it their responsibility to manage and mitigate sharing or oversharing of members' personal information posts on this forum or anywhere else on the internet.

The forum owners, moderators, and technical support staff should not be recipients of complaints that seem to primarily and rightfully stem from members' frustrations with facebook's lack of full prompt disclosure about changes in privacy settings.

Some people will reduce or cease posting here because of the latest forum update. Others will perceive no significant change. Still others will appreciate what they deem to be helpful changes.

Not necessarily. Let's say I have a friend from here that linked it and HER settings are such that friends of friends can comment. Then my friends can comment and click the link. Once I commented on a status on a friend's page. She has her settings that friends fo friends could do the same. Well my cousin replied to the same status on my friend's page, this is not a mutual friend mind you. Then my mom got curious as to what both me and my cousin were commenting on, and clocked over seeing my friend's whole page. I think get a phone call from my mom telling me my friend is a nutcase, and I should block her and unfriend her and she better not ever hear that my kids are playing with her's blah blah blah. My friend wasa former boss, we have been friends for 9 years, my mom has met her in person, but online she is an intactivist. That was enough to send her into a tizzy. Then she gets posting on my cousin's page about her commenting on the post and on it went and became a huge uproar in the family.

None of this stuff was on *my* fb page. It all happened because I commented on someone else's page. Allowing friend's of friend's means even without you actively linking it it still can end up back to you. Maybe it is just because of who my family is. But I would rather not have that issue at all.