Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OtherJohn

How facebook works with the Well-Trained Mind Community

Hi all,

First of all, I want you all to know how important your privacy is to us on this community and that we would never do anything intentionally that would jeopardize that. So I thought I would take a moment to show you exactly what your posts do when you "Share with Facebook".

I started a simple post thread on one of the forums here and clicked on the "Share with Facebook" at the bottom of the page. This feature is to basically just share a link to the post that you have started on your own wall in facebook. This helps the community grow as you introduce great content to your friends and family via the facebook format. If you don't want to share, don't use it! :)

I took a screen shot of my facebook wall to show you what actually gets posted to facebook.

sampleFacebook.jpg

But I don't want my replies to show up on someone else's facebook wall! Does it do that?

No, it will never do that. All it does is share a link to the thread. It's the same as Cutting & Pasting that link into your wall yourself!

What about using facebook to log into the welltrainedmind.com site?

This is just a feature of connivence. Since most people are continually logged into their facebook account, this allows them a one-click entrence to our site. It does not share your welltrainedmind.com information with facebook. Even more so, it is pretty darn secure!

What about the facebook widget on the side bar. I don't want my name or avatar on that!

This is a widget made at facebook that shows others who are "liking" our site. It promotes our facebook community page from our website. If you don't want your name or image on this, you need to change your privacy settings with Facebook. I will post a tutorial sometime later on how to do this. We don't have control on who it shows.

I hope this all helps!

-John

It is a terrible idea IMO. I don't think people most posters want this forum to "grow" or for the content to be publicized through social media. I think you have misjudged (rather severely) how much this forum is a refuge for many people and that the community will likely shrink if people feel their posts will become "hyper-public" via links to social media.

I think this function should be disabled until the community weighs in.

Bill

What I'm trying to understand: If someone other than me does the "Share with Facebook" thing on a thread in which I've posted, can non-forum members who see that on Facebook click over here and read what I've written?

In general, I agree with the others that I don't want a Facebook link at all, actually. But this question is of particular concern to me.

I also don't want a facebook link at all and actually have unliked the Peace Hill Press facebook page so my picture with access to my facebook page no longer shows.

Yvonne

I have linked many threads in emails and occasionally on my profile. When I tested the "like" fixture earlier my dh could not even follow the link here. Here is the screen shot of what he found when he clicked on the link I "liked."

business card.zip

It is a terrible idea IMO. I don't think people most posters want this forum to "grow" or for the content to be publicized through social media. I think you have misjudged (rather severely) how much this forum is a refuge for many people and that the community will likely shrink if people feel their posts will become "hyper-public" via links to social media.

Bill

I understand, but we have about 80 to 100 new people registering a day, and they come in through links on google and facebook.

Those links are from members sharing and mainly Google indexing the content of the site. We receive about a million visitors a month from people who are looking for anwsers to questions about home schooling and classical education. I guess the point is that we are already hyper public, but you may have not noticed it.

The sharing of the communty is to reach new people who need a resouce for classical education and home schooling. There are millions of home schoolers in the US alone and they need the value that we bring.

But many members here post anon under screen names. FB only allows real identities to be used.

I normally lurk so lurking 100% of the time won't be a huge deal. But the community will really suffer if many regulars leave because of this privacy concern.

I too am concerned. I've already had someone (2nd hand) saying they saw my FB information. I'm very confused about that, as I keep my FB stuff only open to *friends*. I went back in and found some more privacy options on FB, however it seems like basically they keep adding buttons and options where you're automatically opted in unless you opt out that make it very hard to stay private.

So yeah, as much as I want to love you, I was really spittin' on your name tonight with this. Not happy.

I understand, but we have about 80 to 100 new people registering a day, and they come in through links on google and facebook.

Those links are from members sharing and mainly Google indexing the content of the site. We receive about a million visitors a month from people who are looking for anwsers to questions about home schooling and classical education. I guess the point is that we are already hyper public, but you may have not noticed it.

The sharing of the communty is to reach new people who need a resouce for classical education and home schooling. There are millions of home schoolers in the US alone and they need the value that we bring.

I will be the first to say, I have a stalker IRL and I tend to be wary of these things. OTOH, I completely understand the need for publicity, especially with the way things are going in the homsechool conference world at the moment.

Since I also have quite a few people who talk to me about homeschooling, the like fixture just makes what I was already doing a tad bit easier.

It sounds like people may not have been aware how often threads were copy and pasted, thereby linking to their forum posts.

Okay, so essentially what you are saying is that the share feature bypasses a step that anybody could have taken since the inception of the boards. Instead of copy/pasting a link to their fb wall, they just share the link. It is something that anybody could have done in the past but with the new features it is more "in your face" now.

I agree with Bill. Part of my issue is that I don't trust facebook privacy. With their ever changing security features, I would prefer to keep the security issue with my facebook account only.

Even if someone can post a link to this thread, that link is probably treated differently within the deep recesses of facebook internal structure (maybe, I don't really know??). I also don't like that what you linked to facebook seems to show up in other places on side feeds.

I know it's supposed to be a selling feature with new technology, but my gut feeling is that it could turn out to be pretty bad for people who are trying to keep the two identities separate. We can't all be like Ironman, some of us like to feel more like Batman. :lol:

I too am concerned. I've already had someone (2nd hand) saying they saw my FB information. I'm very confused about that, as I keep my FB stuff only open to *friends*. I went back in and found some more privacy options on FB, however it seems like basically they keep adding buttons and options where you're automatically opted in unless you opt out that make it very hard to stay private.

So yeah, as much as I want to love you, I was really spittin' on your name tonight with this. Not happy.

I will be the first to say, I have a stalker IRL and I tend to be wary of these things. OTOH, I completely understand the need for publicity, especially with the way things are going in the homsechool conference world at the moment.

Since I also have quite a few people who talk to me about homeschooling, the like fixture just makes what I was already doing a tad bit easier.

It sounds like people may not have been aware how often threads were copy and pasted, thereby linking to their forum posts.

What I'm trying to understand: If someone other than me does the "Share with Facebook" thing on a thread in which I've posted, can non-forum members who see that on Facebook click over here and read what I've written?

Yes, but that's always been true; it's no different from posting a link to the forums on a person's Facebook wall by copying and pasting. This is a public forum that ranks high on Google searches depending on the topic, and non-members can read it whenever they want.

ETA: The rest of the thread didn't load for me until after I posted, so sorry for being repetitive.

Yes, but that's always been true; it's no different from posting a link to the forums on a person's Facebook wall by copying and pasting. This is a public forum that ranks high on Google searches depending on the topic, and non-members can read it whenever they want.

Yes, but like Wordgirl said that has always been the case. Also, they will be linked back here, but they will only see your forum user name. They will not be linked to your FB account.

I really don't think you have your pulse on this community's feelings based on this post. There will be no valuable content to search if people leave or refrain from posting. People coming in due to targeted Google searches of content is very different than the drama social media has the potential to unleash.

Bill

I really don't think you have your pulse on this community's feelings based on this post. There will be no valuable content to search if people leave or refrain from posting. People coming in due to targeted Google searches of content is very different than the drama social media has the potential to unleash.

Bill

In general, I agree with the others that I don't want a Facebook link at all, actually. But this question is of particular concern to me.

And even more to the point, can *Facebook* harvest the info from our threads that we've provided and use it for their massive data-logging and connection-making? I mean we all know how savvy the stupid FB thing is. When I joined, it figured out 100 people in my area I knew, and all I had done was put in my name for pity's sake. So when you like and link a thread from here through FB, is it then harvesting terms so you end up with ads that fit what you were writing about, etc.? That's just disgusting to me.

I can understand why you're pursuing this. But there's so much that's unclear here, and I think you're figuring out that people DON'T trust FB. If we wanted to talk with our friends about homeschooling, we already would be. We're trying to talk with someone ELSE.

Bill

And when you start marketing to the larger homeschool market (that 1 million), you flood the boards in a way that DILUTES what united us. We aren't merely all homeschoolers, sorry. We're homeschoolers who are pretty passionate and identify or appreciate, at least on some level, WTM. *That's* why we're here. When you start marking to the 1 million, are you planning on selling WTM to all them? They could have already found it at their library or on amazon just by looking for homeschooling books. When you dilute us to that extent, flooding us with people who don't give a RIP about WTM, you lose the commonality. Then classical (and classically quirky SN and all the varieties we have) get lost in the jumble.

I don't come here to hang out on a homeschool board with 1 million people. I come here to hang out with 50K people I actually have something in common with. When we've had board meet-ups, they've been glorious, because we *do* have something in common. I'm really not sure what your vision is and where we end up if you dilute us to 1 million.

Yes, but like Wordgirl said that has always been the case. Also, they will be linked back here, but they will only see your forum user name. They will not be linked to your FB account.

Unfortunately, the many posters who have friended Peace Hill Press on Facebook are now displayed on this forum. I clicked on one posters profile and discovered her real name, the city she lives in, a map to her home, and pictures of her family.

Thank goodness I'm not a stalker, or paranoid, but yikes! This is not safe.

Bill

I can understand why you're pursuing this. But there's so much that's unclear here, and I think you're figuring out that people DON'T trust FB. If we wanted to talk with our friends about homeschooling, we already would be. We're trying to talk with someone ELSE.

Yes, my problem is I don't trust the integrity of Facebook's privacy. I just found out the other day Facebook has created pages for me and my spouse, all done without my knowledge or approval. I love my dh, but if I wanted a couples page with him, I would have created one. This was done by using the information of who you are in a relationship with.

I trust SWB and in turn her decision to change formats. However, I don't trust facebook. They change their privacy rules way too often.

I know that it's always been possible to post links to threads. I know that topics on these boards have always shown up in Google searches.

I think some of us are just icked out by the idea of making it easier and more clear to link to Facebook, especially since Facebook requires us to use our real names. Many, many members here have clearly and frequently said they don't use Facebook at all, because of privacy concerns. I don't see how this feature -- and making it the burden of each individual user to opt out -- respects those concerns.

I'm also a little icked out by the idea that the primary goal of this feature appears to be to use our comments and discussions to promote the site, like we're being used to advertise your product on Facebook.

I suspect this will be a bigger deal for more people than you many be anticipating. I know it gives me pause.

I'm not sure what to think about the ease of now linking to FB, but I did want to point out that it's always been easy to lurk and read here. I did for months before I actually joined.

I also wanted to point out that I haven't 'liked' the Peace Hill Press FB page but I can view everything and see everyone who is posting there. I checked there often for updates about the upgrade. If you are able to click on a profile there and see their info. on FB, that just means they don't have the privacy settings set very high.

Yes, my problem is I don't trust the integrity of Facebook's privacy. ...

I trust SWB and in turn her decision to change formats. However, I don't trust facebook. They change their privacy rules way too often.

:iagree: Exactly! FB is not to be trusted.

Bill, I cannot quite figure the quote feature yet, so forgive me if this is disjointed. :) Anyone of FB can look at the people who have liked PHP, right? I think what I am trying to say, is that a "liked" thread doesn't automatically link to someone FB profile. In fact, they would have to click out of whatever thread they followed, then the board they were linked to and go to the main forums board to even see the social plug in. There isn't a direct link from "liked" thread to FB icons of those who liked PHP. In fact when I look at the social plug in, I can only see those people I am already FB friends with.

Bill, I cannot quite figure the quote feature yet, so forgive me if this is disjointed. :) Anyone of FB can look at the people who have liked PHP, right? I think what I am trying to say, is that a "liked" thread doesn't automatically link to someone FB profile. In fact, they would have to click out of whatever thread they followed, then the board they were linked to and go to the main forums board to even see the social plug in. There isn't a direct link from "liked" thread to FB icons of those who liked PHP. In fact when I look at the social plug in, I can only see those people I am already FB friends with.

You're correct. I'm not on fb, but I've been "liking" threads here all day long. The like button here doesn't seem to have anything to do with fb.

I dunno. What I do know is on the new WTM Forum main page there are 2410 people who have "liked" Peach Hill Press. People who are recognizable members here. Some of them may be putting out way more personal information than they may be aware.

Bill

You're correct. I'm not on fb, but I've been "liking" threads here all day long. The like button here doesn't seem to have anything to do with fb.

Well, thanks! But, I think we are concerned about the G+ and FB "like" links found at the very bottom of thread pages. Those a re little different than the internal ones.

I do not trust FB, but my FB account is my responsibilty, not PHP or the Hive's. Every time I like a news source or fb page, someone could click my name. It is a scary world, but it is the world we live in. OTOH, I go back to my original statement, I think people were just unaware as to how "public" this forum really was!

You're correct. I'm not on fb, but I've been "liking" threads here all day long.

I was so excited you had "liked" my posts. :hurray: I was so honored. :rolleyes: And then I read that I am just one of many. :tongue_smilie: ;) :lol:

What about using facebook to log into the welltrainedmind.com site?

This is just a feature of connivence.

Was this a freudian slip or what? lol connivence eh...So the powers that be are conniving :smilielol5:

If i dont log into this forum with facebook, however, i am good, right? There would be no way to link my FB account and this one, correct?

Against, Fb policy, i am one of those people who uses a fb alias and want to keep it that way. FWIW, you can also "like" weird, random, disparate things on Facebook, like Vera Bradley bags and neck tattoos, just to mess with Facebook's head and make yourself impossible to target to a market lol.. Speaking of lol, where are the smilies??

I dunno. What I do know is on the new WTM Forum main page there are 2410 people who have "liked" Peach Hill Press. People who are recognizable members here. Some of them may be putting out way more personal information than they may be aware.

Bill

Do you have to link your facebook page to see that because I see nothing under the facebook heading on the main page.

Was this a freudian slip or what? lol connivence eh...So the powers that be are conniving :smilielol5:

It is almost a homonym! ......we love you OtherJohn!!! :D

It is almost a homonym! ......we love you OtherJohn!!! :D

What Bill said above, about being able to see the member's real name, map to her home, pics of her kids? Because she had liked PHP on fb and posts on these forums?

THAT FEATURE NEEDS TO BE REMOVED IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!

Or we will be leaving en masse, I'm sure. There must be a way to undo that.

I understand you can post a link to a thread anytime, and being able to do that more easily doesn't bother me. These are open forums and I'm glad people can lurk here to get info on homeschooling. It's the idea that a member's fb profile could suddenly be available here on these open forums that is scary. It is each person's responsibility to make sure their fb privacy settings are what they want them to be, but I doubt many thought that their fb profile could be linked through their member profile here. I imagine most of us use different names here and would prefer they be separate.

Wait until we've had a few incidences of people posting "Get a load of what *these* folks believe!" with a link to a thread on, say, creationism or evolution or Biblical submission. And it gets re- shared. And people who have nothing better to do with their time come here to weigh in. BTDT... and don't want to again.

Wait until we've had a few incidences of people posting "Get a load of what *these* folks believe!" with a link to a thread on, say, creationism or evolution or Biblical submission. And it gets re- shared. And people who have nothing better to do with their time come here to weigh in. BTDT... and don't want to again.

I hadn't even thought of that yet. Board wars. FB wars. Worst of all the possible worlds, with all the people we know on FB and IRL watching the whole thing. Ye gods.

Wait, now I'm confused...Bill, did you click the member's profile here, and it linked to their fb profile? Or were you on fb and figured out which member it was here? That's not a problem with the forums, but part of liking a page on fb and commenting, anyone can see that and then click through to see their fb profile. But if it is was the first one, that's a problem!!!

If i dont log into this forum with facebook, however, i am good, right? There would be no way to link my FB account and this one, correct?

Against, Fb policy, i am one of those people who uses a fb alias and want to keep it that way. FWIW, you can also "like" weird, random, disparate things on Facebook, like Vera Bradley bags and neck tattoos, just to mess with Facebook's head and make yourself impossible to target to a market lol.. Speaking of lol, where are the smilies??

Halcyon, can you post what you posted on the other FB thread (I believe it was after you posted the above)? You said you didn't log in here through FB yet when you liked a post it showed up on your FB wall. If this is the case, then what Chucki said may not be true:

I believe it is a Freudian Kilt :)

Bill

Be still my heart, Bill quoted me to make a joke...It's like the new hive made a new Bill :lol:

There was one thing not mentioned in the OP. If you are logged into Facebook, FB tracks your web usage across all sites that have FB "like" or "share" buttons. Period. I don't know if they are still doing it, but they used to track users even if they were logged out. Every thread here now has a FB "share" button.

Twitter and Google both have clear opt-out policies.

ETA: You don't have to click the share button to be tracked, its presence on the page is sufficient.

This is a screenshot of the badge is on the forum homepage.

PlSaG.png

One of the pictures on that badge is somebody that I know IRL, although I do not know her very well. Facebook chose to show me that person, because they know that we know each other, and it gives preference to displaying pictures of your friends and/or your friends' friends. The fact that it tries to link us together is not an accident at all. I actually already knew that she's a member here, but if I didn't, I would now. Finding her posts would not be all that difficult.

I can also click on the other pictures in that badge and find out who they are and where they live. Depending on their facebook settings and how much information they have shared in both places, I may very well be able to match the fb name to the WTM name, especially if I'm a longterm regular on the boards and know a lot about the members from the things I've read here. People have always felt free to share more about their personal lives here because the likelihood that what they shared would get back to people in other compartments of their lives was relatively minimal. Compartmentalizing is very important to many of us. It is the goal of facebook to destroy all those compartments. They would not be at all concerned if meeting that goal were to damage or destroy the community which exists on this site, and I believe that linking the WTM site closely to facebook could do just that.

Promoting the forum and reaching out to the greater homeschool community are certainly understandable goals. Meeting those goals, however, by using automated tools provided by a company which has as its' goal the desire to have everyone use facebook communities and pages to communicate with one another, may not be the best way to achieve your goals. Facebook is not in the business to promote forums. It wants people to post on here and then link to facebook so that people depend on facebook more and more for the information. They want the discussions which happen here to MOVE to facebook. They promote the idea that forums are no longer relevant and facebook is all we need. Well, it's not all I need, and I really hope that you will all rethink linking the Hive so closely with facebook. You are risking a lot for the convenience of having people share posts with one click and log in in a hurry. :(

And when you start marketing to the larger homeschool market (that 1 million), you flood the boards in a way that DILUTES what united us. We aren't merely all homeschoolers, sorry. We're homeschoolers who are pretty passionate and identify or appreciate, at least on some level, WTM. *That's* why we're here. When you start marking to the 1 million, are you planning on selling WTM to all them? They could have already found it at their library or on amazon just by looking for homeschooling books. When you dilute us to that extent, flooding us with people who don't give a RIP about WTM, you lose the commonality. Then classical (and classically quirky SN and all the varieties we have) get lost in the jumble.

I don't come here to hang out on a homeschool board with 1 million people. I come here to hang out with 50K people I actually have something in common with. When we've had board meet-ups, they've been glorious, because we *do* have something in common. I'm really not sure what your vision is and where we end up if you dilute us to 1 million.

I completely agree.

I am NOT happy about the FB angle at all. I do not "like" FB. I do not trust FB. And I am very saddened that The Hive is in any way, shape, or form associated with FB at all. I really just wish the everyone and their dog would completely delete their FB accounts and FB as a corporate marketing beast would disappear into oblivion, actually. But that's a whole 'nother topic.

One more user who DISLIKES the FB link in. I don't even have a FB account, because of their sneaky privacy policies, frequent changes and privacy modifications that go unannounced and automatically choose the least privacy for users, etc.

As it was said earlier, these forums are easy to find by googling common HS questions. I often times START at google, with the goal of finding a thread here on WTM. Since the forums are so easy to search using google, I don't see that FB is a needed additional promotional tool.

Bill

We posters may not want this forum to grow, but the company who graciously allows us to use this site FOR FREE probably thinks it makes good business sense. Businesses need to grow.

Thanks!

But who's to say those 1 million people aren't fans of WTM or classical education...or maybe they will be once they get here?

I'm also a little icked out by the idea that the primary goal of this feature appears to be to use our comments and discussions to promote the site, like we're being used to advertise your product on Facebook.

The only "advertising" is by WTM folks who want to share something they think their friends will like to read.

I would put a little smiley face at the end of each of my comments if I could. Smileys clarify that no snark was intended, right? (insert another smiley here)

I posted this on the other FB thread as well, so feel free to skip if you've already read or feel free to correct me again if I'm wrong...

----------------------------------

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not seeing how this feature is different than the thousands of other websites that use it.

For example, you go to cnn.com and read a nice story about a cute kitten saved by a fireman. The story made you feel all warm and fuzzy and you want to share it with your friends on Facebook, so you click the "like" or "share" link (the sites seem to display it differently) and the kitten story will post to your wall. If you are already signed into Facbook (say, on another open tab in your browser), the link will post immediately. If you are not logged into Facebook, you will be asked to log in before the link posts. The link will be seen by anyone you have allowed to view your wall (friends? friends of friends? public? you decide in your FB privacy settings).

My understanding is the same thing will happen here. If I want to like/share/link this--or any WTM---thread on my FB wall, my friends will see it and they may click the link to get here (just as a random person performing a google search would). Since I logged in with my WTM credentials and not my facebook credentials, any of my friends clicking on the link on my FB wall would be clueless as to who I was in this thread or even if I actually posted to this thread.

And as far as the "Likes" widget, lots of other sites do it, too. Here's an example: http://www.cbs8.com/

So, this really doesn't seem to be something unusual. I'm not saying I'm a fan and it doesn't sound like many other are either, but if you really want to keep your WTM identity separate from your FB identity it seems you should: 1. have a WTM username and picture different from your FB username and picture, and 2. lock down your FB privacy settings.

Thanks to everyone for their hard work. I lurk here all the time and have learned so much.

Remember, when you opt to join Facebook, you willingly give up a portion of your privacy. Period. That is a choice you have to make. If you want to remain anonymous, you can still have an anonymous account here, and opt out of being a member of Facebook.

The privacy that was perceived before the upgrade was not really complete privacy at all. It was open to anyone to read, and to link to threads. Any time you post on a public forum, you have chosen to risk public recognition. If you have created a Facebook account, you have opened up a huge window into your world, regardless of whether this forum is linked to it or not. If privacy and remaining anonymous are big concerns of yours, then participating in a very public forum may not be the best choice for you. Joining Facebook is definitely not a good idea.

FWIW, I was one of the NON-WTMers that found their way here. I had never even HEARD of WTM when I found this forum. I was a homeschooler that had never even met another homeschooler. I found this site through Google. I read threads before I ever joined and I got sucked in. I have been assimilated now (of course) but I was one of those homeschoolers at first.

There was one thing not mentioned in the OP. If you are logged into Facebook, FB tracks your web usage across all sites that have FB "like" or "share" buttons. Period. I don't know if they are still doing it, but they used to track users even if they were logged out. Every thread here now has a FB "share" button.

Twitter and Google both have clear opt-out policies.

ETA: You don't have to click the share button to be tracked, its presence on the page is sufficient.

After reading and thinking, this is my concern. I don't trust facebook's tracking. I have other search engine stuff turned off. I'm still not sure how I feel about this.

Remember, when you opt to join Facebook, you willingly give up a portion of your privacy. Period. That is a choice you have to make. If you want to remain anonymous, you can still have an anonymous account here, and opt out of being a member of Facebook.

The privacy that was perceived before the upgrade was not really complete privacy at all. It was open to anyone to read, and to link to threads. Any time you post on a public forum, you have chosen to risk public recognition. If you have created a Facebook account, you have opened up a huge window into your world, regardless of whether this forum is linked to it or not. If privacy and remaining anonymous are big concerns of yours, then participating in a very public forum may not be the best choice for you. Joining Facebook is definitely not a good idea.

FWIW, I was one of the NON-WTMers that found their way here. I had never even HEARD of WTM when I found this forum. I was a homeschooler that had never even met another homeschooler. I found this site through Google. I read threads before I ever joined and I got sucked in. I have been assimilated now (of course) but I was one of those homeschoolers at first.

I believe the word Internet privacy is a misnomer. Many of us that are voicing concerns understand much of the privacy was an illusion anyway. I have facebook and use it. However, my concern is not a nefarious groups of troll babies coming through and sharing links, although that could happen too. My concern is how facebook gathers the data they use from shared sites and what they do with it. Before there was a layer of disconnect, now there is not. Facebook changes their rules too often and I use facebook differently because of that.

Here, I have 3 1/2 more years of high school to get through. Some of the questions I may need to ask pertaining to the needs of my son are things that I don't want sitting in a server somewhere in facebook's annals. Even here I was a little disconcerted to find PMs from 2009 showing up when the site changed. I deleted them years ago, where have they been since then? My son does not have and does not want a facebook account. We already know that some colleges and employers are searching facebook to ascertain if an individual fits their needs. However, many of those same places probably aren't looking at the WTM site. It wouldn't take too much sleuthing to find my connection on WTM and facebook. I don't want potential colleges bringing up conversation from 2012 ,"Look here, Z, I see that you had focus issues in 2012 and your mom was worried about your organizational skills."

As for the general board, everyone has different levels of comfort in sharing. Some of that personal information is quite personal, more than I would share, but that is part of what makes this a community. It's one thing to share a link from an innocuous source, fireman saves a furry troll baby, but it's another when someone is trying to work out how to deal with some heavy IRL stuff. The WTM community is some place I don't wish for the tentacle of facebook to probe. If I need to adjust my level of participation on here, that's fine. It's not my board, it's THE board. I get that.