Menu

Thanksgiving Day desserts

I think this is the first year I'm not cooking a special meal. DH is working (always works from home) and it will just be the 4 of us (dd20 is working a double that day at a restaurant). But I thought at the very least, I can make a yummy dessert. But do I want a cake, fancy cupcakes with filling, cookies, dessert bars, pie, brownies? I can't have it all as much as I'd like to. So, what are your traditional desserts for Thanksgiving? Maybe something will leap out at me. :)

Pie! Usually a chess pie and some kind of pumpkin pie. Depending on where we are, there might also be chocolate, lemon, apple, etc. We're going to my db's this year, so he is smoking a brisquit and there will be some traditional T-day foods, and some not. He and I don't like turkey, and I like it that it is much more laid back than traditional holidays. More like a family bbq potluck and no pressure for anything to be perfect!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/brownie-caramel-cheesecake/Detail.aspx?prop31=1

I made this for my husband's birthday this year and it was A-MAzing! I added chopped walnuts on top of the caramel layer (and to the sides, but that didn't work so well when removing the springform pan.) I wanted to make it again for Thanksgiving, but my dd wants to make a pumpkin cheesecake and I'm sure gonna let her!

The first link was broken, so I'm redoing it. Hopefully it works, but if not and you're interested, It's the Brownie Caramel Cheesecake from allrecipes.com

Pumpkin Cheescake - the best of all worlds!

Not the flat dense kind - I like the creamy fluffy chiffon-type cheesecake

This one is amazing: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pumpkin-cheesecake-ii-2/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=pumpkin%20cheesecake&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe

It's even better it use use gingersnaps for the crust instead of graham crackers.....

We always have the typical pies: pumpkin, pecan, and some kind of apple.

But.

We also have a s'mores pie every year. It's actually the most requested pie in our house.

So, a little non-traditional, as far as Thanksgiving goes, but it's insanely delicious. There's always an argument over who gets the last piece. This year, I got enough ingredients to make a second one the weekend after Thanksgiving, because it's just that good, and in such high demand!

for me, its only a holiday because it involves pie. For just my family of five, I plan to make a pumpkin pie, a chocolate chess pie, and an apple-cranberry crisp. all gluten and dairy free and still scrumptious! besides, leftover apple-cranberry crisp is acceptable breakfast food, right? granola and fruit? oh, and pumpkin pie . . thats a vegetable . . .

have not tried this yet, but its a recipe for dairy free but not vegan pumpkin pie