Menu

Stroke, pneumonia, leukemia, tick fever, and chicken pox

Our family (nuclear and extended) is having quite a summer.

My MIL (who lives in the same town that we do) suffered a stroke the last weekend in June that has handicapped her left side. She was in the regular hospital for a few days and then moved to a Rehab hospital. She is currently scheduled to go home later this week, but the hospital staff is working to get Medicare to approve a few more days for her. She is 82, and will go home in a wheelchair. She has always been very active and now she will have a completely different life.

FIL is 83, and was diagnosed with pneumonia last Friday. He allowed himself to become so sick because he refused to leave my MIL's side at the hospital. He was sleeping on a window sill (which the hospital claims is really a "bed" for the family of patients) every night. He is very set in his ways (and has been ever since I've known him). This whole situation has him completely overwhelmed.

BIL (dh's brother who also lives in the same town as us) was diagnosed with leukemia a year ago May. He has been dealing with this for 14 months now. He has completed all the chemo treatments, and is now waiting to see if his blood counts begin to improve on their own, or if he will have to have an adult stem-cell transplant. His last visit to M. D. Anderson showed that whatever cancer marker they are watching had stayed exactly the same since his last visit. So he is now taking another experimental drug to see if it will fix things and prevent him from having the stem-cell transplant. He has spent the past week or so in bed because he has contracted C-diff (a severe intestinal infection) for the 2nd time in the past few months. He also just finished taking 3-hour daily antibiotic infusions to fight a blood infection that he contracted at the hospital/doctor's office.

My dad has been diagnosed with Tick Fever in the past week, and is experiencing several of the symptoms that go along with it. My mom, who had a very mild stroke a few years ago, seems to be the healthiest of all of our parents right now.

And to top things off, my 10yo dd was diagnosed with chicken pox last Friday. This is the 2nd time she's had it. The first time was when she was 5 months old, and she had a severe case then. So she isn't participating in our church's summer musical for children which she had looked forward to for several weeks. Ironically, her 13yo brothers, who had absolutely no interest in the musical but were encouraged ;) by their mom to participate since their sisters were going to, are now the only family members up there practicing every day.

Please feel free to pray for all of the above as you feel led. :001_smile:

On a brighter note, my sister and BIL, whose home was destroyed in a tornado in February, are close to finishing their new home and hope to move in sometime in August.

Thanks for listening!

Thank you all very much for your kind words.

I'm feeling a little less stressed than I did yesterday. MIL will be going home on Friday, and most of the work needed in their home was completed yesterday (ramp built, bathroom items added, etc.).

BIL was actually at my IL's home yesterday, and was feeling and looking much better. And his wife, who had been out of town to get some down time, finally came home.

I talked to my mom and my dad was feeling much better yesterday!

So, life goes on!