Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OtherJohn

SOCIAL GROUPS

Guest inoubliable

Just checking in to see if there's been any progress in the Social Group Invite Mystery. 

Is there a reason why I can't start my own post in here? I posted something that said a Mod had to approve it. And I see other people have posted after I submitted that post, but my post never showed up. 

Just checking in to see if there's been any progress in the Social Group Invite Mystery. 

Is there a reason why I can't start my own post in here? I posted something that said a Mod had to approve it. And I see other people have posted after I submitted that post, but my post never showed up. 

I'm wondering the same thing.

It would be really good if new people could be invited.

L

I'm another with the exact same question.

It's difficult to grow a social group when you can't invite people.

Can we please get an update?

Thanks!

Groups are back! Yay! Now, has anyone figured out the mystery about adding new members to private social groups? Because that would be super awesome. :) 

Guest inoubliable

Thanks for getting the groups back up! 
Any word on the Great Invite Mystery? I just checked again and I've still got several invites "pending" but the people invited say they never got a thing. 

One of the social groups I was in I apparently an not able to access and a thread there was deleted by moderators. What's up with that?

I got notification that a reply I made quite awhile was deleted. If there is going to be scrutiny and censorship that requires digging and nit picking then I have no use for this place. Truly it is a pro Christian board.

It looks like the threads in certain social groups are being moderated and posts deleted without rhyme or reason? Is there a new moderator, new rules, or ???

Does SWB know this is being done without explanations? One mod said only a certain thread went public in a social group, but I'm pretty positive that isn't possible with what's being used here.

If its a glitch, then it would be nice to say so. However I've seen the mod, or mods- can't tell if it was 2 replying, say conflicting reasons within the same thread.

Guest inoubliable

Well. I guess The Great Invite Mystery is still being worked on? 

1) The Great Invite Mystery is still being worked on. Because it does not affect all social groups and is difficult to replicate when moderators log into the groups, it is hard to solve. 

2) Social groups are not being moderated. One social group discussion suddenly showed up in a public search, and several posts on it was reported. A moderator deleted the posts before realizing that they were actually in a social group, not in a public thread. The permissions were immediately reset. That appears to have been a one-time occurrence related to a board software upgrade and should not happen again. We apologize for the misunderstanding and would appreciate your patience as we work on the remaining issues.

If they were deleted before the realization that it was a social group, why did they  come back the next day, and delete more?  

Yikes! There are quite a few social groups that are set to private/hidden. I assume so members can share more than they might on a public board.

I think we all realize there is no true privacy on the internet, but one thread from a private or hidden group randomly becoming public is concerning.

Guest inoubliable

1) The Great Invite Mystery is still being worked on. Because it does not affect all social groups and is difficult to replicate when moderators log into the groups, it is hard to solve. 

2) Social groups are not being moderated. One social group discussion suddenly showed up in a public search, and several posts on it was reported. A moderator deleted the posts before realizing that they were actually in a social group, not in a public thread. The permissions were immediately reset. That appears to have been a one-time occurrence related to a board software upgrade and should not happen again. We apologize for the misunderstanding and would appreciate your patience as we work on the remaining issues.

1) Might as well "give up" then. At least on my group's account. The entire group left over this "misunderstanding". 

2) That is truly, truly bizarre. Some of us moderate forums using the exact same software and have never heard of this and can't imagine how it could have happened. I hope other social group owners are following this thread so that they understand the risks of having their private threads becoming randomly exposed to everyone on the board. 

Not everyone had the "patience". Tragic. Members left over this, including a long-time and prolific poster. Not just flounced for a few weeks. I mean gone. Trust might have been preserved if we'd had this information when it happened, and if the Moderator had stuck around to answer questions from worried members. 

I'm normally very private online but this "misunderstanding" has left me feeling very very exposed. I've really lost confidence in WTM and Peace Hill Press over this. Not only the way the thread became public all of a sudden but also in the way the moderators acted in the affect thread and lately in other threads around the board. They are rude and don't explain why decisions are made.

This will likely be a very different place, with the realization that private groups can become public at any time, and with the loss of valuable members of the community.

It's pretty sad :sad:

Guest inoubliable

I'm normally very private online but this "misunderstanding" has left me feeling very very exposed. I've really lost confidence in WTM and Peace Hill Press over this. Not only the way the thread became public all of a sudden but also in the way the moderators acted in the affect thread and lately in other threads around the board. They are rude and don't explain why decisions are made.

Re the bolded - LOTS of people are talking about how the Mods come in to shut down threads or remove posts that are "snarky" but then are rude and snarky when doing so. This seems to be new. People are questioning whether SWB knows that people are feeling alienated. It's a whole new problem to what seemed like arbitrary (at best) or targeted moderation in the past. 

One of the social groups I was in I apparently an not able to access and a thread there was deleted by moderators. What's up with that?

Ravin is not talking about the group I am in that had this happen. This makes me wonder how many groups had thread go public and poof and why the mods say only one.what is happening?

It's already being talked about in a couple very large homeschooling groups on FB( that have no affiliation with this board) It's sad to think that SWB's reputation could be tarnished over something like this.

Hey, anyone who wants to PM me about this is more than welcome to do so, and I'll tell you why the moderations happened...just please give me a couple of days to get back to you.

SWB

It's already being talked about in a couple very large homeschooling groups on FB( that have no affiliation with this board) It's sad to think that SWB's reputation could be tarnished over something like this.

I think people should be giving Susan the benefit of the doubt here.

This forum has been around for years, and this is the first time anything like this has happened.

Frankly, I don't even see a need for private social groups on a forum like this, although I do agree that if a forum is designated as being private, it shouldn't be made public. I would suggest, though, that if people want to ensure that their secrets or personal comments are kept private, maybe it would be best for them to start a private Facebook or Yahoo group. That way, everything would be entirely separate from this forum.

I, for one, am very grateful for the WTM forums, and think we all need to remember that we are all here by the grace of Susan Wise Bauer. She could shut this entire forum down tomorrow, and there wouldn't be a thing any of us could do about it.

I understand that some people are upset, and I can understand that, but I don't think it's right to have an entitlement mentality about the private social groups -- or any of the other groups or forums here.

I, for one, am very grateful for the WTM forums, and think we all need to remember that we are all here by the grace of Susan Wise Bauer. She could shut this entire forum down tomorrow, and there wouldn't be a thing any of us could do about it.

No, we are all here because we're interested in homeschooling and most likely have read her products and/or used them and/or have had them recommended to us.

Free internet message boards are a dime a dozen and this isn't even the only homeschooling forum around.

I also know that I have bought more of SWB's products due to interacting on this board as well as recommended them to other homeschoolers. So, this board is mutually beneficial. If this board did shut down, there would be other places to go. The internet is a large place.

I do admit though that before this fiasco, this is one board I wouldn't have minded making a donation to to help stay open. Now, not so much. The sudden moderation and deletions in a private group, the rudeness and apparent lying from a moderator, and the fact that the moderator can be snarky and rude and remain anonymous, which I think is horsecrap, is enough to make me turn away from these forums and possibly PHP products in general. I am that upset by how my friends and I were treated by some anonymous moderator here.

The moderation on the main boards is fishy at best, the invasion into a private group really takes the cake.

If a group expects their information to be private and posts with the assumption that it will be, it can be quite scary to think it is suddenly public and searchable.  And could cause quite a few problems, some of them potentially serious.  I know this situation is upsetting to many posters, with good reason.

But this is a massive and complex forum that SWB is allowing everyone to use for free.  And it keeps growing.  There are going to be glitches.  It may take time to determine those glitches and fix them.  I am eternally grateful that SWB created this forum in the first place and has obviously continued to put in tremendous time and effort to try and keep it a safe and free place to come for information/chats/support.  I hope with all my heart that she will continue to allow this forum to exist and it doesn't become such a headache that it is no longer worth the effort for her to keep it up and running.

Hugs to all that have been affected.  Best wishes.

Edited to add that glitches in software are different than being treated disrespectfully.  If members of this forum were treated disrespectfully I would hope that they would be able to tell SWB and that the issue would be addressed.  

Cat,

Were you in one of the social groups that encountered these issues? I don't hear a sense of entitlement. I do hear a sense of concern and misgiving about what happened.

No, I'm not in any of the private groups. I do understand the concern, but I also think we need to be respectful of Susan and the moderators, and assume that they have the best intentions.

If a group expects their information to be private and posts with the assumption that it will be, it can be quite scary to think it is suddenly public and searchable. And could cause quite a few problems, some of them potentially serious. I know this situation is upsetting to many posters.

But this is a massive and complex forum that SWB is allowing everyone to use for free. And it keeps growing. There are going to be glitches. It may take time to determine those glitches and fix them. I am eternally grateful that SWB created this forum in the first place and has obviously continued to put in tremendous time and effort to try and keep it a safe and free place to come for information/chats/support. I hope with all my heart that she will continue to allow this forum to exist and it doesn't become such a headache that it is no longer worth the effort for her to keep it up and running.

Hugs to all that have been affected. Best wishes.

:iagree:

You said it much better than I did! :)

No, we are all here because we're interested in homeschooling and most likely have read her products and/or used them and/or have had them recommended to us.

Free internet message boards are a dime a dozen and this isn't even the only homeschooling forum around.

I also know that I have bought more of SWB's products due to interacting on this board as well as recommended them to other homeschoolers. So, this board is mutually beneficial. If this board did shut down, there would be other places to go. The internet is a large place.

I do admit though that before this fiasco, this is one board I wouldn't have minded making a donation to to help stay open. Now, not so much. The sudden moderation and deletions in a private group, the rudeness and apparent lying from a moderator, and the fact that the moderator can be snarky and rude and remain anonymous, which I think is horsecrap, is enough to make me turn away from these forums and possibly PHP products in general. I am that upset by how my friends and I were treated by some anonymous moderator here.

The moderation on the main boards is fishy at best, the invasion into a private group really takes the cake.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I wouldn't trade this forum for a dozen of the other homeschooling forums out there, and I think that the moderators try their best to do a good job.

I'm sorry if you were treated poorly -- I don't know anything about that, so I can't really comment on it, but I hope you're able to get things straightened out.

No, I'm not in any of the private groups. I do understand the concern, but I also think we need to be respectful of Susan and the moderators, and assume that they have the best intentions.

Cat,

You did not see the moderator comments in the private group. The moderator was disrespectful and rude. It came out of nowhere in a private group and our posts were suddenly being deleted. So, while I mean no disrespect to SWB personally, I have no respect for the anonymous moderator who treated myself and my friends like crap.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I wouldn't trade this forum for a dozen of the other homeschooling forums out there, and I think that the moderators try their best to do a good job.

I'm sorry if you were treated poorly -- I don't know anything about that, so I can't really comment on it, but I hope you're able to get things straightened out.

Well, that is you. If you were treated in such a disrespectful and rude manner, you may change your tune.

Cat,

You did not see the moderator comments in the private group. The moderator was disrespectful and rude. It came out of nowhere in a private group and our posts were suddenly being deleted. So, while I mean no disrespect to SWB personally, I have no respect for the anonymous moderator who treated myself and my friends like crap.

Well, that is you. If you were treated in such a disrespectful and rude manner, you may change your tune.

I'm sure I would feel the same way you do. I was just saying that I don't know the details so I can't really comment on it.

Have you contacted SWB directly to complain about the rude moderator? Surely, she knows who it is, and I hope she is aware of the problems.

I'm sure I would feel the same way you do. I was just saying that I don't know the details so I can't really comment on it.

Have you contacted SWB directly to complain about the rude moderator? Surely, she knows who it is, and I hope she is aware of the problems.

But Cat, you are commenting on it without knowing any details. You've commented on it several times in this thread already. I understand you want to jump in and defend the boards because you like them, but unless you were actually involved, I don't think there's any reason to comment at all. That's just my opinion and I'm not meaning to be rude. If I am coming across that way, I apologize. I just find it amusing that you have twice commented that you don't know the details and can't comment on it and yet just by posting to this subject have commented on it.

But Cat, you are commenting on it without knowing any details. You've commented on it several times in this thread already. I understand you want to jump in and defend the boards because you like them, but unless you were actually involved, I don't think there's any reason to comment at all. That's just my opinion and I'm not meaning to be rude. If I am coming across that way, I apologize. I just find it amusing that you have twice commented that you don't know the details and can't comment on it and yet just by posting to this subject have commented on it.

I said I can't comment on your particular situation, but I do feel that I can comment on my feelings about the forum and how I think people should be thankful and respectful toward SWB.

I get it that people are angry, but I also think everyone needs to realize that SWB and the moderators don't have to answer to us or meet anyone's demands. The forum belongs to SWB and we are only here because she allows it. We can ask for help with problems within the forum, but I don't think we can feel entitled to make demands.

If the groups aren't running smoothly and people are concerned about privacy -- which is understandable -- and if you no longer trust the moderators -- why not just move the groups elsewhere?

I said I can't comment on your particular situation, but I do feel that I can comment on my feelings about the forum and how I think people should be thankful and respectful toward SWB.

I get it that people are angry, but I also think everyone needs to realize that SWB and the moderators don't have to answer to us or meet anyone's demands. The forum belongs to SWB and we are only here because she allows it. We can ask for help with problems within the forum, but I don't think we can feel entitled to make demands.

If the groups aren't running smoothly and people are concerned about privacy -- which is understandable -- and if you no longer trust the moderators -- why not just move the groups elsewhere?

I cannot speak for other groups, but our group has already moved.

No, they don't have to answer. No one ever has to answer anything. But people do answer out of courtesy. Especially when a whole group of regular board supporters and therefore SWB supporters are treated in a poor and rude manner.

I would expect a public apology from the rude moderator.

Like I said, this board is mutually beneficial for SWB and her company as it is for those who enjoy posting/reading/learning here. When a moderator representing this board which represents PHP products is as disrespectful and rude as this particular moderator was, well, people talk. Me no longer wanting to purchase PHP products due to unfair moderation on this board is not big deal. I have one kid and how much I buy or don't buy isn't a big deal. But I belong to homeschool groups. I live in a large city. I talk to other homeschoolers. Homeschoolers love to talk curriculum.

We are here because we are mostly homeschoolers who have used WTM products or have had them recommended to us or have found them on a Google search or whatever. Sure, it's great that SWB opened a message board to promote her product and allows people to join and discuss almost whatever, but that is not a rare thing on the internet.

Well some prolific posters have already left.

How many people are gone? I know about the most obvious missing voice, and I wish she would come back. :(

How many people are gone? I know about the most obvious missing voice, and I wish she would come back. :(

Don't hold your breath.  When she left, she really meant it.  

I truly appreciate the time moderators put in. It is not something I could take up.

That said, I sincerely believe that transparent moderation procedures can help to promote a sense of fairness on the forums. On most other forums, moderators are not anonymous. They give objective reasons for their decisions rather than just "because I say so" and members are allowed to challenge and discuss moderator decisions.

This community is so large and so diverse, that I think it would help to rethink the moderation procedures.

I think people should be giving Susan the benefit of the doubt here.

This forum has been around for years, and this is the first time anything like this has happened.

Frankly, I don't even see a need for private social groups on a forum like this, although I do agree that if a forum is designated as being private, it shouldn't be made public. I would suggest, though, that if people want to ensure that their secrets or personal comments are kept private, maybe it would be best for them to start a private Facebook or Yahoo group. That way, everything would be entirely separate from this forum.

I understand that some people are upset, and I can understand that, but I don't think it's right to have an entitlement mentality about the private social groups -- or any of the other groups or forums here.

Because it isn't just a question of these boards and this instance. This board is a public part of Peace Hill Press. If parts of it that were supposed to be private no longer have the guarantee of privacy then how can I have confidence that PHP can keep my credit card details private? This board advertises the Well-Trained Academy, how can I expect that students details be held private if they can't keep the social groups private? I was going to suggest the Academy to friends of mine who are considering home schooling their daughter next year. Now I won't because how can I be sure that her details are kept private? Will her test scores all of a sudden become available on the internet because of a "misunderstanding"? Will classes that she participates in all of a sudden show up on YouTube? The issues with a very rude moderator who also is anonymous and moderates unevenly (even when reported) raises concerns how issues of conflicts between a student and teacher will be handled, or between students. In addition the fact that the moderator left a rude comment on a thread wondering where the likes had gone saying that no one had PMd about it, even though several people had posted in the tech issues board raises concerns about how tech issues with the academy are handled.

Yes Susan could yank these boards any time she likes, but that wouldn't make sense from a business perspective as this is advertising for the products. As PPs have said, homeschoolers talk. And this board is a big part of that conversation. How the boards are moderated and how the technology works thus reflects on all of the company's products. This is Business Studies 101. Or actually this is what I teach my firsties in our Business Studies 1 class.

Guys,

This thread is actually not the right place to have a discussion about the moderating methods on the board. I'm going to unpin it and lock it, and start a new thread for updates about the social group invites problem.

Although I understand that the members of the social group affected are upset, I'd prefer to answer privately to those who PM me, because the situation involved the actual information being shared on the thread, and the posters are already concerned enough that it was made public.

Accusing a moderator of lying is unkind and untrue. So far as I can see, a total of five posts were removed from a single discussion thread, with a reminder to follow board rules. The moderator who deleted the posts treated them the same way that posts in a public thread would be treated.

Again, I'm happy to give my take on the situation to anyone who wants to PM me.

Moderating a board of this size is always complicated. We actually do try to take a light hand and I am always happy to review our moderating strategies. I am going to begin a new thread for you to make suggestions, but I'd appreciate it if they were suggestions, not accusations.

SWB