Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OtherJohn

SOCIAL GROUPS

No. I couldn't even really get in before.

Let me send a message to the other Catholic gals and we'll give it a thorough testing. :)

Posts from social groups are showing up under view new content again, though. Are they supposed to?

Posts from social groups are showing up under view new content again, though. Are they supposed to?

They are showing up. I notice that I can see the LDS one and I'm not a member of it.

Can someone please test again for me. I want to see if I just fixed it.

John

I just posted to the LCHF social group. Yay!

If the owner of the group does not set the "Manage Forums" settings under the "GroupCP" button. Then the default allows guests to view the forums. They will need to change the settings for their group to only show to members.

I don't think they will unless you "Follow this Group" under news. But I am not even sure that will do it.

I don't think they will unless you "Follow this Group" under news. But I am not even sure that will do it.

I'm only following and/or a member of two social groups. All the social groups are showing up when I choose "View New Content" when people post. It's like it was before. I don't know if they've chosen to be private or not, as I'm not a member.

Can someone who's a member of a social group -- but who's not the group's moderator -- verify whether or not you have moderator privileges in the group? That was one of the issues when the groups came back up about a month ago (after the long hiatus).

When I go to the members section now, I no longer have the ability to delete them. That was the only thing I noticed before.

Looks like it's good to go

Thanks! And thanks for getting them up and running again.

FAVOR TO ASK:

OtherJohn, can you please lock our second chat board group thread like you did before and move it to the social group? Here's the thread: click, and here's the social group: click.

ALSO:

Is it possible to make it that while keeping our group public, we can opt-out of having our posts to the group show up in the News Feed?

Guest inoubliable

Thanks for getting our SG thread migrated! :)

Can you, OJ, or someone else help me with a membership issue? I invited someone when the SGs went live last time and both she and I am 99.9% positive they joined and even posted before the groups went dark again. Today, though, she can't get in. Says she needs to be a member. I tried to re-invite and it won't let me because it says there is already an invite pending. I can't cancel that invite and resend one, either. Thoughts?

Thanks for looking into the news feature.

It seems I can do all the admin things except move a topic. Is there any way to turn that option on?

ETA: if one were to go through the motions and actually try to move a topic one gets an error page saying one does not have permission to do that.

Thanks for getting our SG thread migrated! :)

Can you, OJ, or someone else help me with a membership issue? I invited someone when the SGs went live last time and both she and I am 99.9% positive they joined and even posted before the groups went dark again. Today, though, she can't get in. Says she needs to be a member. I tried to re-invite and it won't let me because it says there is already an invite pending. I can't cancel that invite and resend one, either. Thoughts?

Your welcome KKinVA!

Can you PM me their username and I can look into it.

OtherJohn, I can't seem to transfer the ownership of one of my social groups to someone else. The only options I'm given when I go to the transfer ownership area is you and one of the other members. How can I make a different member the moderator of the group? (She has agreed to this.)

Okay, thank you. I see that now. I'll do it as soon as I quit getting an error message when I try to go past the first page of members.

Guest inoubliable

Can there be more than one admin for a Social Group? Not just moderator, but actual admin?

I wanted to give a heads up to some of the social groups regarding privacy. Several of the social groups I am not a member of show up under 'view new content'. I can view all posts in some of them when I click on them (which happens sometimes because I don't realize it is a social group thread) but am not allowed to post. Others I can view the title and first and last posts using the preview feature, but when I click on the thread it tells me I am not allowed access. I'm wondering if those groups think they're private and don't know everyone can view the title and a some of the posts.

I think I'm doing something wrong. I joined a group but when I click on the group discussions link, I always get a "page not found" message. How do I actually see the discussions?

I have a member of one of my groups facing this issue, too.

OJ, or someone else who is savvy with Social Groups: I've set a group to "public" and anyone who wants to can join, but it seems like the only thread everyone can see is "Welcome and Intro". I never see the posts that I make to the group in the "new content" main area, nor has anyone else posted in any of the threads I've got going there. (oh, maybe they don't like the conversation? :scared: ). I know there are 10 other members besides myself, so I don't know what's going on.

Any ideas?

~coffee~

I just registered. I followed a group. I joined the group. I click on the topics and it sends me to a "The Page you are looking for cannot be found." This is the page for all the topics.

I just tried using a popular search engine to look for information on a homeschooling topic, and one of my old social group posts came up in the results.   Not quite what I was expecting!  :tongue_smilie:   I sent a message to the group owner to ask her to change the settings, but she hasn't been active on the boards for a couple of months.    The group itself hasn't had any new activity in that time frame, either. 

Complicating things further, I left that group before the change-over, and can't edit my own posts without rejoining it -- which requires the owner's approval.

Is there a way for the moderator to step in and change permissions in this type of situation?   

ETA:  Looking through the list, the great majority of the groups are in this category -- i.e., inactive for months or years, and set to "Public."   Many of the topics involve personal information that might not have been shared on the main boards:  homeschoolers seeking support for issues related to their careers (or their spouses' careers), discussing special needs, planning meet-ups at conferences, etc.

Given that these messages were posted with the understanding that they wouldn't show up in a web search, and would only be visible to logged-in members, this seems like something that needs looking into.

John,

You might want to clarify in the Social Group set up instructions that are pinned that when editing the forum settings, you need to hold control and highlight the lowest level of access and all higher levels.

I didn't quite realize this is what needed to be done.  If for example, only guest is highlighted, then guests can read and post, but not members of the group.

OtherJohn, 

A member of the Orthodox Christian Homeschooling group sent invites to some others. They clicked on the accept link in their messages and it gave them:

IP.Board Message

You do not have permission to view this page.

Retun to this Group's Home

I've looked at the CP, it won't let me delete the invites to start over, they can't see a "join group" link, and the links in their messages aren't working. The group is set to public with admin approval for membership.

Help, please?

Bumping. Is there anyone that we are supposed to contact for help with the Social Groups? I pm'd OtherJohn and posted here. Is there someone else I'm supposed to be contacting?

Help, my own thread has me locked out. I've never been in or created a Social Group, but the thread I started is telling me I don't have permission to access it. It has so much excellent information in there. Can you please let me know how to access it? Thanks!

I just wonder if someone made my thread part of their social group and that's how come I can't access it? Still, can I even find out who has it?

This is the message I keep getting:

IP.Board Message

You do not have permission to view this forum. In some cases joining this Social Group will give you permission to view this forum.

When I click on "Return to this group's home" I get

IP.Board Message

You do not have permission to view this page.

Would love to have some help on this. Thanks.

Pinned near the top of the High School board is a thread called Homeschool High School Biology. I have accessed it before, but today when I try to view it, I get a message saying this:

IP.Board Message

You do not have permission to view this forum. In some cases joining this Social Group will give you permission to view this forum.

Retun to this Group's Home

The path listed above the message is below, pointing to the Traditional Large Family social group. This is a "hot" thread, and I wonder whether others are having trouble accessing it. In my searches today, I have been locked out of another thread on the high-school forum, too, but I don't remember which one. I also have come across two posts saying people couldn't access or reply to threads because of these social group errors. I'd appreciate any attention you can give this.

Teonei

Guest inoubliable

Hey OJ, just wondering if someone is working on the invites issue. Or if there's any word on when that might be fixed? Thanks!

I am still trying to track it down. It's a weird issue that keeps eluding me! I have even logged into accounts of people with the same issue and the problem doesn't show. All the permissions seem fine too.  I know it is frustrating, please bear with me as I am still trying to replicate the problem.

John

I received a notification that a post of mine was deleted from this thread. I don't even remember posting anything to this thread recently...was there a problem with what I posted?

ETA: Maybe my account was used to try to figure out the problem. That's fine. I just wanted to make sure I didn't inadvertently break a board rule.

I am still trying to track it down. It's a weird issue that keeps eluding me! I have even logged into accounts of people with the same issue and the problem doesn't show. All the permissions seem fine too.  I know it is frustrating, please bear with me as I am still trying to replicate the problem.

John

Thanks for continuing to look into it. 

Guest inoubliable

John

Have you used mine? If you do, you'll be able to see the invites going out. Not just from me but others in my group with the permissions. Maybe that would help?

I received a notification that a post of mine was deleted from this thread. I don't even remember posting anything to this thread recently...was there a problem with what I posted?

ETA: Maybe my account was used to try to figure out the problem. That's fine. I just wanted to make sure I didn't inadvertently break a board rule.

I believe that you reported a spam post and then posted "reported," and that I removed your reported notification when I banned the spammer. Just to keep the clutter down.  

I believe that you reported a spam post and then posted "reported," and that I removed your reported notification when I banned the spammer. Just to keep the clutter down.  

Thanks for the explanation. More importantly, thanks for the time spent removing the never-ending spam!