Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OtherJohn

SOCIAL GROUPS

As you may have noticed, the social groups feature that was present on the old forums is not currently active.

HAVE NO FEAR! We were not able to convert the old social groups over YET! Give us some time and we will get the social groups back up and running!

There should be no loss of data from the old groups.

If you have any questions just ask!

Thank you! We really miss our group. I'll start a thread on the GB for now. :)

Can I make a social groups suggestion? In the original ones couldn't post a very long reply and so often one had to make two or three posts to finish their thoughts. It was a different reply format than the rest of the board. I tried to be active in one but I was way too annoyed with having to post several times in a row to complete my reply. Does that even make any sense?

Anyway. I thought they may be better if they were more efficient like the rest of the forum.

Do you happen to have a time frame for the social groups? I'm not impatient about it, just wondering if I should be checking every day, or will it be a few weeks or something? Thanks for all your work!

Any update on the status of the Social Groups? How will we know they're active again? Will they have the same link as before? Or where in this new forum will we find them? We have a "group" (thread) going on the GB -- and now Chat Board -- but obviously that format isn't the greatest for discussion since there are so many new/different topics introduced. Thanks~!

OtherJohn pm'd me a couple of days ago that it will be a bit yet, but that they are NOT lost. You could do as we did, and start a post on the chat board, if you had an active group. You can switch back when the groups are active again.

OtherJohn pm'd me a couple of days ago that it will be a bit yet, but that they are NOT lost. You could do as we did, and start a post on the chat board, if you had an active group. You can switch back when the groups are active again.

I got all excited at the new replies. I thought they were back. Drat and blast!

OtherJohn, how far down are the social groups on your list of things to do? Just curious. The dynamic of the group has definitely changed a bit because we're posting on the chat board for now which is more public than the social groups are (I know the social groups are not really private either; but they are a little more so since people would have to go find them to even know one is there).

Do you feel pestered yet, OtherJohn? ;) Just another one here to say that I can't wait to see the Social Groups up and running again. :)

Add my name to that list. All my closest friends at tWTM are from social groups. My two closest friends have stopped coming to the boards at all and are awaiting email from me to let them know social groups are back before they return.

Please don't forget us!

Other John,

First off, THANK YOU for making the board transition take place. I know it takes a lot of work to do this!

Also, I was wondering if you have a timeline for the Exploring Orthodox board to be revamped and up and running again?

I have truly enjoyed spending time there with so many wonderful ladies and am curious when I can start to see organized threads again rather than merely posting randomly without the option to sort through the posts.

Thanks ever so much for all you do and/or are doing to keep the boards running smoothly. Your hard work is not going unnoticed, for sure!

We have moved some of the posting to a FB group for now -- we'd rather be here, just so you know! :) I fear that if we get used to the FB group, we'll stay there, but as the admin of the group, it would be my intention to encourage members to post here on the social group rather than there once it's back and available. Will you PM me any information you might have on that? And as always, thanks for all you do.

Other John,

First off, THANK YOU for making the board transition take place. I know it takes a lot of work to do this!

Also, I was wondering if you have a timeline for the Exploring Orthodox board to be revamped and up and running again?

I have truly enjoyed spending time there with so many wonderful ladies and am curious when I can start to see organized threads again rather than merely posting randomly without the option to sort through the posts.

Thanks ever so much for all you do and/or are doing to keep the boards running smoothly. Your hard work is not going unnoticed, for sure!

I just added you to our FB group, pending admin approval.

We *could* make THIS the Exploring Orthodox Christianity Social Group thread ...... a little more privacy than the chat board, and making the post count go off the charts might draw attention to our plea. :D

I check every day to see if social groups are back up & running!

I've given up on every day, but do check every so often. Just before they went down, I'd scanned through the entire list of groups and there were scads and myriads that were little-used, a dozen or two used somewhat frequently, and then a handful or less that were used a lot. So, overall it might not look like they're used much, but for those in busy/large groups, they were pretty vital. Still hoping!! I'm not loving the FB option because it just makes one more place I have to check for both posts and messages. I'm trying to be on the computer less, not more.

*Sigh*. Any new updates? With so many social groups on the main chat board, now, it seems a little confusing. I'd like to head back to our corner now. I'm not complaining about the turn of events, just really miss the off-board place to meet.

Yes, we are hiring a programmer to finish the conversion so we can get it done quicker. Won't be too long now.

John

*LIKE* Thank you!

OK, Great news,

I have finished the conversion of the Social Groups on our dev server. Everything converted over just fine and without problems. The only things that didn't convert over were the group logos and banners. Group owners will have to re-upload those. I will turn on the social groups on the public forums shortly after I finish fixing an UNRELATED bug on the site. Hopefully we will have the groups up before the end of the weekend!

ps , I can confirm that "Orthodox Christian Homeschooling" moved over without any problems!

OK, Great news,

I have finished the conversion of the Social Groups on our dev server. Everything converted over just fine and without problems. The only things that didn't convert over were the group logos and banners. Group owners will have to re-upload those. I will turn on the social groups on the public forums shortly after I finish fixing an UNRELATED bug on the site. Hopefully we will have the groups up before the end of the weekend!

ps , I can confirm that "Orthodox Christian Homeschooling" moved over without any problems!

Thank you, thank you! It's actually the Exploring Orthodox Christianity one that I'm most concerned about. Is it fine, too? {hoping}

Once the social groups are back open, can the threads be deleted off the main board? Or at least locked?

Thank you so much John and Milovany for keeping hope alive!

Alicia in New Zealand

Who had just sent off our "Path to Pascha" pebbles which are only a little weird this time around, not liked those sheep!

Hi All,

I am still working on turning on the social groups on our Live site. We had some minor complications and I hope to get it up and running soon. I will keep you all updated.

John

:)

How will we know? Announcement here? The old link will work again? Looking forward to having them back!

Ok, if you have noticed, the social groups are back. If you were the original owner of the group, you should still have ownership now. I will do my best to answer any questions you might have about the groups in the next few days.

John

That was fast, you rock! Thanks so much! I'm looking around and will come ask questions if I have any. Can we have the (now) old "Social Group" thread on the Chat board locked? I'd rather everyone come to the real (new and improved) social group to post rather than continue posting on the temporary thread on the Chat board. I'd personally love to see all the temporary Social Group threads locked, but of course that's not my call (just voicing an opinion).

Here's our thread if you can lock it:

http://forums.welltr...rthodox-church/

OJohn, if I'm recalling correctly, you had said that content would not be lost. I haven't clicked everywhere yet, but on the Group Discussion page, the oldest start date is Nov. 2012, which is right before the groups went down (and there doesn't seem to be a "Load More Topics" option like on the forums. Are the older posts somewhere? Our group was started in early '09 or '10, so I was hoping to still have access to those early posts. Just curious! Thanks again.

There is a chance that tonight will be the night! ....

Hooray!! Thanks for getting them up!

OtherJohn! These new groups are so cool. Thanks for getting them set back up. I have one question about the new subforum abilities. Is there a way to pin, delete, lock or hide a thread in a subforum?

Is there be any way to move the content from the temporary Social Group threads on the chat board, over to the actual social groups?

If you go to the group, click on members, then scroll down to your name, it should say "edit member" click that and you should be able to delete yourself.