Menu

Advice needed: WWYD???

DH's job has been unpredictable at best. He works in the semi-conductor industry. The contract he was on for 5 years just ended and now two possibilities are on the table.

Option 1: Intel Corp. wants him in OR, he'd still be with his own company but on a contract there and (we live just over the river in WA about an hour and a half with traffic but only 30 miles). We are not willing to relocate to OR. He would have his 12 hr 3days on/4 days off and vice versa schedule back and be expected to work overtime. If in a day he had to work his 12 plus overtime, he could potentially be away from the house about 16 hours and then have to sleep, eat, wake up and do it all over again with no family time. He'd be stuck paying OR taxes (WA has no income tax). He would get to work on new machines, which does excite him and would add more to his resume, however he has been wanting to start taking classes toward a new degree and this job just would not provide enough down time for him to do so.

Option 2: His manager has a position for him in Lehi, UT where he'd be on the 12 hr. shifts and then fly home for his 3 and 4 days off, no overtime, time and quiet after work to take online courses for a new degree. Downside, he would be away from home for 3-4 days at a time. The job will dry up as a travel position in about 6 months and will turn into a relocation at that point. We really don't want to relocate. We've done this before where he went to AZ for 6 months and flew home each weekend. It worked. We made lots of extra money because of the travel time. Would be the same with this one. Would most likely be possible to get on with Intel when the position ends in UT.

So it seems do we choose no new degree, traffic constantly, possibly never seeing him during his workweek and possibility of him being called in on his days off, but a stable position for at least 5 years, or take a chance that he could start working toward a degree, not see him for 4 days straight, more money, find a new position in 6 months?

Opinions please! And prayers if you think to do so...

With those 2 options I would go with what dh wanted. They both sound difficult, and having dh happy would make a world of difference. If neither option excited him, I think dh would choose option 2 and keep his eye open for another opportunity. If option 1 didn't involve so much commute time, he'd pick that one, but since he wouldn't see us anyway I could see him picking 2 for the opportunity to make more money and have time to pursue another degree.

No, he really doesn't want to move. We just bought our dream house (read 1 acre with a 60 yo house) in August of last year. With the market the way it is, we don't want to try to sell again right now.

When I spoke with him earlier he was frustrated because neither option is ideal. I personally lean toward the UT position because he could still get a job on the Intel contract when UT is over. When we moved here 8 years ago from CA, we lived 68 miles away from work (he worked directly for Intel in Santa Clara) and was on nightshifts. It was aweful. There's the potential that he'll be on nights with this Intel position as well. We moved here so we wouldn't have to do that all over again.

He respects my opinion highly so I'm afraid to give him my feelings for fear I'll sway him and then I'll be wrong.:001_huh:

What does he want to do? If he started working on his degree would that be a good thing or a waste becasue after 6 months he would have to stop going to school?

Is there a way he could just stay in OR the days he is working for Intel (it's not so bad down here, no sales tax :D ) With 12 hour days his commute would be off hours so I wouldn't worry about the traffic too much. I would tend to treat those days as if he were gone and not expect any family time.

I would be very tempted by security and my dh hates to travel so we would do option one but you have to do what works best for your family.

No, staying out there would not be an option. I think what he's struggling with is security vs. opportunity.

Why can't you relocate?

We could, but not to OR! No, please NOT to OR! I have some really personal feelings on that, as does dh.

We sound spoiled don't we? This is just such a huge difference from what we've had for 5 years; work was 7 miles from home and he'd be home for lunch. You know, the perfect little existence. I.just.don't.know. what to do and neither does dh.

We could, but not to OR! No, please NOT to OR! I have some really personal feelings on that, as does dh.

We sound spoiled don't we? This is just such a huge difference from what we've had for 5 years; work was 7 miles from home and he'd be home for lunch. You know, the perfect little existence. I.just.don't.know. what to do and neither does dh.

Is he looking outside of his current company? We were in your boat 2 years ago--complete with one of the same corporations involved and relocating to UT was a strong possibility after having just bought our dream house in the perfect location. Dh is now in a position at another company, the only company in his field that would provide a shorter commute, and it's working out well.

It's such a hard spot to be in. I'll pray for clarity for you guys :grouphug:.

I lean toward option #2 because when he was home, he'd be home without the possibility of being called back into work. It sounds like your dh's job qualifications would always be in demand and more schooling would only make him more marketable. Do what makes the most sense for your family's dreams. I wouldn't worry too much about the future. Easier said then done. :)