Menu

So let's say you are kinda of weird (this is about paint colors)

So say you were kinda of weird. You are a bit self conscious of being weird and so you are often trying to tamp it down a bit. I am horrific at matching things, my family says I got it from my grandpa who often wore these awesome plaid suits with striped ties and such.

I have a beige couch and a dark brown couch... not very exciting but I got neutral colors so I could get a little crazier with color in other things. I also have a four year old boy, I am not getting new couches until he is a bit older and a little less likely to destroy.

We are now in a house with beige carpet. (UGH!) I would like to paint the walls but what would you do there? I prefer bright, happy, relaxing colors. I don't really want red/yellow. I am at a loss on where I want to go with this.

Well I've been accused of weird before. I try to embrace it.

I have so many colors all over my house. I will say, that if you see a paint color you like, go one shade lighter on the color strip. Once it's up WHOA.

My favorite green of all time is Wales Green by BM. I do believe it needs some natural light though. It is not as yellow as it appears in many online images.

Much of my main areas are a neutral with a soft apricot glow.

One thing you do need to start with, is lighting. You cannot really brighten a room with paint. Some colors are better with natural light. VIbrant colors being some of them.

I think you should go to the local Home Depot or Sherwin Williams store and pick out some paint cards. Bring them home and consider them. Then pick a few that speak to you and go get samples of the paint--you can usually get a small sample to try on the wall for a few bucks. Then go from there!

It's your house, you should have purple or turquoise if you want!

Agree! You can add any color you want with browns - live large! be happy! I'd suggest some bright blues, greens, and maybe some orange - I'm thinking Caribbean colors (or colors that would make you think of the Caribbean).

I'm all for color - there isn't a single wall in my house that is a neutral color :) But then I'm 50 so I can do whatever I want LOL. At this point in life I'm OK with being called "that weird old lady" :) Color makes me happy and since I'm in my home the most, I choose colors that make ME happy.

Well I've been accused of weird before. I try to embrace it.

I have so many colors all over my house. I will say, that if you see a paint color you like, go one shade lighter on the color strip. Once it's up WHOA.

My favorite green of all time is Wales Green by BM. I do believe it needs some natural light though. It is not as yellow as it appears in many online images.

Much of my main areas are a neutral with a soft apricot glow.

One thing you do need to start with, is lighting. You cannot really brighten a room with paint. Some colors are better with natural light. VIbrant colors being some of them.

Thank you for responding. There is a big picture window on one wall :) I have some lamps, which I intend to make new shades for once I have a better idea of what I want to do. We just moved from an earth contact home so I have quite a few floor and table lamps.

My kitchen is similar to the "cool aqua" on the BM website. (all the cupboards are white)

That Wales Green might be a good option if I mix in other brightly colored things.

How about a turquoise shade? Blues & browns are pretty together, imo.

271482683757035719_GgZL7s5v_b.jpg

Design-seeds.com is a great place to look at color combinations. I was going to say red, but you said no. I'm weird, dh is weird, but we currently have beige walls, except our bedroom which is bright navy.

I would find an accent pillow you like and try those colors. Maybe an apple green (might be too plain), I like the teal/turquoise leaning colors too (but is brown and blue dated or classic?), you could use something orange ish but it would have to be the right shade.

Thank you for responding. There is a big picture window on one wall :) I have some lamps, which I intend to make new shades for once I have a better idea of what I want to do. We just moved from an earth contact home so I have quite a few floor and table lamps.

My kitchen is similar to the "cool aqua" on the BM website. (all the cupboards are white)

That Wales Green might be a good option if I mix in other brightly colored things.

Dill pickle is a really good one too. It's not quite so loud. I tend to like greens. It makes me happy.

My favorite blue is Paladian Blue from BM.

I have Sherwin Williams Crescent cream in my largest open space. It kind of looks like candle light and glows a soft apricot

Edited by 425lisamarie

I once painted my son's room in Glidden's Wild Blue Yonder. My mood lifted every time I walked into that room. It just had such a 'clear blue sky' feel about it. I'm not sure that'll help your weirness rep though.

If you cannot match colors, just cheat and use fabric. Find a piece of fabric that includes the browns in your couches plus some other colors you love. Pull your color choices from the fabric and turn the fabric into throw pillows or valances to tie it all together.

Definitely weird but we managed to paint our living room and kitchen in a nice combination of colors.

You could browse some paint brochures (for example, here are some from Ben Moore) that show colors that work together. For starters, we painted our living room (with dark brown couches) a color recommended by a fashionable friend. When I branched out and chose on my own, I looked at the brochures or home magazines to find rooms with similar features (same wood, flooring, furniture colors, etc.). Then I went and got Aura samples.

Not sure if they still do, but they used to have all the Aura color samples in little jars. Other brands might do that. And usually, if you like a color in one brand it can be mixed for you in the one you prefer. Brown is a great color ... it goes nicely with green, blue, purple ... so many others, too.

Monterey Bay Teal from Lowes. Just painted my kitchen with it. And and accent wall. I don't care if they are out-of-date. I like being weird.

That is the same color as my kitchen. :) Can I do the same colors or is that "overdoing it"

So if I wanted colors to transition well...then what would be good that kind of "went" with it?

Dill pickle is a really good one too. It's not quite so loud. I tend to like greens. It makes me happy.

My favorite blue is Paladian Blue from BM.

I have Sherwin Williams Crescent cream in my largest open space. It kind of looks like candle light and glows a soft apricot

I really like green as well, I love that Dill Pickle color.

Apricot is also a good idea. I think that would be really pretty. It would be nice and warm but still soothing...I tend not to prefer red/yellow in wall color. I am high strung, I have had adhd and anxiety since I was young. I think apricot would be ok though.

Edited by Sis

I really like green as well, I love that Dill Pickle color.

Apricot is also a good idea. I think that would be really pretty. It would be nice and warm but still soothing...I tend not to prefer red/yellow in wall color. I am high strung, I have had adhd and anxiety since I was young. I think apricot would be ok though.

Me too. I like the dose of bright but not in every single space.

I was going to say some sort of light teal-y blue, but I really like the ones upthread.

I like a nice Tuscany-yellow with brown and red accents (pillows, art work) but you want the right shade so it doesn't look like the Pee and Poo Room when you give tours of your home....;)

I might like a nice Tuscany yellow. I will add that to the list of samples to try. :lol:

I'm very weird, too, with the exception that I don't try to tamp it down at all :D.

My home is very eclectic, and drives most people crazy LOL. But I like it! I have a white sofa and grey carpet. My walls are Sherwin Williams Smoky Blue on three walls and Collonade Gray on the fourth wall (it's a brick wall/fireplace). I like it. The blue is bold but not overly bright; the vibe is cool, relaxing, and it sets off the views of the property beautifully because the gardens pop against the darker "frame" around the windows. (I painted the sills the same color as the walls, and not the standard white.)

My office is (Sherwin Williams) Peppercorn and Wool Skein; bold and dark, a bit boring on their own but really a good neutral base for more fun accessories. I'm re-doing this room right now, as a matter of fact. Right now I have a 70s-ish poppy orange, avocado green, sunshine yellow thing going on. I'm going to keep those colors but update the feel a bit, so I'm swapping out mod flowers for orange houndstooth valances. I'm re-painting my chandelier in yellow, and going to re-paint my desk in a parakeet green.

I think you can go so many neat directions with your basic beige/brown base! Blues would be especially nice, and so would deep grays (maybe a purple-ish gray like SW Dovetail?)

I'm very weird, too, with the exception that I don't try to tamp it down at all :D.

I don't know that it needs to be tamped down but channeled into more productive weirdness rather than a chaotic mess...if that makes sense.

My home is very eclectic, and drives most people crazy LOL. But I like it! I have a white sofa and grey carpet. My walls are Sherwin Williams Smoky Blue on three walls and Collonade Gray on the fourth wall (it's a brick wall/fireplace). I like it. The blue is bold but not overly bright; the vibe is cool, relaxing, and it sets off the views of the property beautifully because the gardens pop against the darker "frame" around the windows. (I painted the sills the same color as the walls, and not the standard white.)

My office is (Sherwin Williams) Peppercorn and Wool Skein; bold and dark, a bit boring on their own but really a good neutral base for more fun accessories. I'm re-doing this room right now, as a matter of fact. Right now I have a 70s-ish poppy orange, avocado green, sunshine yellow thing going on. I'm going to keep those colors but update the feel a bit, so I'm swapping out mod flowers for orange houndstooth valances. I'm re-painting my chandelier in yellow, and going to re-paint my desk in a parakeet green.

I think you can go so many neat directions with your basic beige/brown base! Blues would be especially nice, and so would deep grays (maybe a purple-ish gray like SW Dovetail?)

I like different colors but I don't know how to mix/match them very well. I think using one of those sites about pallet, like elegantlion mentioned above would really help me a lot. I think one wall a different color would also be nice.

Design-seeds.com is a great place to look at color combinations. I was going to say red, but you said no. I'm weird, dh is weird, but we currently have beige walls, except our bedroom which is bright navy.

I would find an accent pillow you like and try those colors. Maybe an apple green (might be too plain), I like the teal/turquoise leaning colors too (but is brown and blue dated or classic?), you could use something orange ish but it would have to be the right shade.

That site is just the sort of thing I need.

I like apple green and orange.

I can knit, crochet, have sewing machine, so I can make things if I cannot find *just* the right thing.

That site is just the sort of thing I need.

I like apple green and orange.

I can knit, crochet, have sewing machine, so I can make things if I cannot find *just* the right thing.

Do you know about fabric.com? Look at Premier Prints. Most my home decor fabric is from Premier PRints. It is great quality and good priced.

If you have aqua in your kitchen, this fabric would tie in well. I have it in my sewing room for curtains.

turqoise

I have the "Tuscany" print in the turqoise.

Edited by 425lisamarie

I like different colors but I don't know how to mix/match them very well. I think using one of those sites about pallet, like elegantlion mentioned above would really help me a lot. I think one wall a different color would also be nice.

I like Design Seeds, too :D

You can also try the Yolo website for good ideas and pictures.

I get tons of color ideas by going through gardening books/blogs (nature makes the best palattes!) and also from fabric stores. When my sister was looking to paint her home, she used the Sherwin William app (there are others, that's just who her painters used) to take pictures of things she thought were beautiful, so SW could color match it. We made a day of it, going through the arboreteum; was fun!

Good luck!