Menu

ETC but cursive first?

Mama_Rana

I bought the Get Ready For the Code series for my 3yo because he enjoys doing "school" with his big brother.

But I've also been reading about cursive first, and wishing my 8yo had done that since he REALLY struggles with reversals, spacing, etc. [We just started Logic of English]

Is there a way to combine the ETC and cursive first? We're almost done with the A primer; is it too late? [he often skips the writing pages]

Sure. In the later books, there's plenty of writing, but it's usually just a space in which to write - not a handwriting style to copy. There are spaces for individual letters like this __ __ __ for a three letter word. But you could just write across it and still have it be a clue.

Sure. In the later books, there's plenty of writing, but it's usually just a space in which to write - not a handwriting style to copy. There are spaces for individual letters like this __ __ __ for a three letter word. But you could just write across it and still have it be a clue.

Oh, that's good to know! I only have the primers so far, not sure if I said, so I didn't know that. I'd heard there was a lot of writing, but didn't realize it was like that. :)

Do you think I should stop having him do the writing in the primer, or have him do it cursive? Will that confuse him that his book shows him to do it one way, and now I'm saying to do it another?

Hmmm, maybe I should get the sandpaper letters afterall.

The space in which to write varies a good bit - sometimes it's individual spaces for letters, sometimes just a line - I can't recall, but I think in book 1 it is maybe the three lined spaces, but later on that's not there at all. Writing is an important component of ETC's philosophy, so I would have a child write. But since the word you might be copying is just typed, not in a handwritten font to copy, I don't see why a child wouldn't just write in whatever handwriting style they're being taught.