Menu

talk to me about i-pods

So I'm still stuck in the CD player mind-set. I'm not techno-savvy and I have very limited dollars.

My oldest son has developed a serious jazz addiction. He likes to kidnap my laptop and listen to music on it in his room while doing school. This is a problem because other children have assignments here and there throughout the day that need the laptop. He also has a small paper route that nets him 3 hours walking time in our neighborhood. It's going to get brutal outside soon and maybe a little music would pass the time by nicely. :001_smile:

I thought about getting him an i-pod shuffle for Christmas. The worker bee at the store said that he could load 200-400 songs on it. He wasn't terribly familiar with the shuffle. He said I could get an inexpensive i-pod docking bay along with a special plug for attaching when he's in his room and maybe didn't want to wear the ear buds.

I'm looking to spend about $100 for the whole set-up and if I could get $25 at i-tunes to fit in that budget I'd be very happy. I have never bought anything like this. What do you think?

He also has a small paper route that nets him 3 hours walking time in our neighborhood. It's going to get brutal outside soon and maybe a little music would pass the time by nicely. :001_smile:

I have no idea about the ipod. However, I just wanted to chime in and say it makes me so happy to hear that kids still have paper routes in some places. Here newspapers are delivered by adults driving beat-up cars, which just makes me sad -- paper routes seem like such great first jobs for kids, and seeing adults

doing "kid" jobs (like working in fast food) just reminds me how off our economy still is, and how adults desperate for any jobs at all make it hard for teens to get starter jobs.

I have a shuffle for when I run and a nano for other things. The problem with the shuffle is the way it connects to chargers and such. It is different from the other products and doesn't just fit nicely onto a charger/speakers like the other apple iPods. However, it comes with connector thingy which has a USB end so you need to plan accordingly. For example, I can't connect the shuffle with the speakers I use for everything else but I can connect it to my laptop. Does that make sense? I like the nano better but it does cost $150. I have had my shuffle for a long time and find it is my go to gadget for all things active. Either one is great, just make sure the accessories you buy work with that particular iPod

I have no idea about the ipod. However, I just wanted to chime in and say it makes me so happy to hear that kids still have paper routes in some places. Here newspapers are delivered by adults driving beat-up cars, which just makes me sad -- paper routes seem like such great first jobs for kids, and seeing adults

doing "kid" jobs (like working in fast food) just reminds me how off our economy still is, and how adults desperate for any jobs at all make it hard for teens to get starter jobs.

It is a shame the way newspaper routes are going. My kids have had 2 different paper route but got laid off of both of them because both went to an adult only delivery system. So recently a route opened up in our neighborhood and I took it and gave him part of it to walk. I drive the rest of it in my beat-up car with another kid who gets out and runs it to the porch. :D:D

So I'm still stuck in the CD player mind-set. I'm not techno-savvy and I have very limited dollars.

My oldest son has developed a serious jazz addiction. He likes to kidnap my laptop and listen to music on it in his room while doing school. This is a problem because other children have assignments here and there throughout the day that need the laptop. He also has a small paper route that nets him 3 hours walking time in our neighborhood. It's going to get brutal outside soon and maybe a little music would pass the time by nicely. :001_smile:

I thought about getting him an i-pod shuffle for Christmas. The worker bee at the store said that he could load 200-400 songs on it. He wasn't terribly familiar with the shuffle. He said I could get an inexpensive i-pod docking bay along with a special plug for attaching when he's in his room and maybe didn't want to wear the ear buds.

I'm looking to spend about $100 for the whole set-up and if I could get $25 at i-tunes to fit in that budget I'd be very happy. I have never bought anything like this. What do you think?

My middle dd has a shuffle and it works great for her purposes. A new 8G shuffle is only $50.

I have some capsule speakers from iHome that are rechargeable (by usb) and plug into the ipod via the headphone jack (so you don't need to worry about proper docking). I have had mine for 4 or 5 years, so they have changed, but they are similar to these: iHome speakers. There are other speakers like this, but some you can only purchase one speaker at a time while other versions come in a set of two. So, be careful of what you are getting for your money, especially if you're shopping amazon. For example, this version is only $19, but you only get one instead of two.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Is there any chance he's going to listen to audiobooks with his new device? I'd opt for a nano in that case. The shuffle "shuffles" the songs. :) Unless the newer ones have an option to play lists in order?

About a week ago there were six or seven refurbished Nanos on the Apple site for $99 each. They were not there yesterday but it would be worth checking back now and then.

I have a shuffle for when I run and a nano for other things. The problem with the shuffle is the way it connects to chargers and such. It is different from the other products and doesn't just fit nicely onto a charger/speakers like the other apple iPods. However, it comes with connector thingy which has a USB end so you need to plan accordingly. For example, I can't connect the shuffle with the speakers I use for everything else but I can connect it to my laptop. Does that make sense? I like the nano better but it does cost $150. I have had my shuffle for a long time and find it is my go to gadget for all things active. Either one is great, just make sure the accessories you buy work with that particular iPod

Thanks for chiming in.

This connector with USB end...what is that designed to do? Is that how you connect it to the computer to download the music?

The guy at the store was not exactly sure what came in the box.

He pointed to another cord that I would have to buy to connect it to a docking station. He did tell me it wouldn't sit on it nicely like the other products. It doesn't fit. But my son won't know the difference at this stage of the game. If he gets the use out of it that I'm hoping he will then maybe he can save up himself for an upgrade.

Thanks for the tip on the accessories. If I ask maybe the store will let me open the products and plug them in and make sure before I take it all home.

The problem with an ipod shuffle is that there is no screen to see the songs. I would suggest an ipod nano instead. Here is a link to a 2 generation refurbished nano for only $49.99. I personally think this might fit your son's needs a bit better.

Oh that looks cool and it's the right price!!

So how does one choose songs on the shuffle if you can't see the title? Is it a numbered system? I didn't even think about that.

Is there any chance he's going to listen to audiobooks with his new device? I'd opt for a nano in that case. The shuffle "shuffles" the songs. :) Unless the newer ones have an option to play lists in order?

About a week ago there were six or seven refurbished Nanos on the Apple site for $99 each. They were not there yesterday but it would be worth checking back now and then.

Maybe. He does like to listen to sermons and I thought he could download them from our church's website instead of requesting the CD all the time. But it doesn't sound like the shuffle would work for that kind of thing. Just music?

Yes, you plug it into the computer to download the music or you can use it to charge using the computer or that thing that goes into the wall outlet that lets you charge your phone or whatever with a USB connector. I have to apologize for my lack of tech vocabulary. :tongue_smilie: the shuffle is useless for books but super for music and it clips right onto clothing without any other accessories involved.

My middle dd has a shuffle and it works great for her purposes. A new 8G shuffle is only $50.

I have some capsule speakers from iHome that are rechargeable (by usb) and plug into the ipod via the headphone jack (so you don't need to worry about proper docking). I have had mine for 4 or 5 years, so they have changed, but they are similar to these: iHome speakers. There are other speakers like this, but some you can only purchase one speaker at a time while other versions come in a set of two. So, be careful of what you are getting for your money, especially if you're shopping amazon. For example, this version is only $19, but you only get one instead of two.

I didn't know about iHome speakers. That sounds like what we would want as opposed to docking that it can't sit on. Thanks for the tip on how many you're getting for the price. :001_smile:

I don't have a shuffle but I thought you could still make a playlist for the audiobook and then it would play in order on the shuffle. I could be wrong about that.

I do like the Nano. I know that Gamestop has used ipods and I think you can buy a warranty on the used stuff for just a few dollars. (We bought a used Wii there)

I just bought this iHome speaker http://www.amazon.com/iHome-iHM60GT-Portable-Speaker-Translucent/dp/B004OA733E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1352915854&sr=8-5&keywords=ihome+ipod+speakers.

It gets really good reviews on Amazon. I just listened to it briefly yesterday but it sounded good.

I bought it for that same price at WalMart.

ETA - the speaker I bought has 3 ends to the cord, usb, micro usb, and the same kind of end that headphones have.

Edited by kitten18

Here's the refurbished nano 8gb for $99 at Apple and comes with a year warranty. It has a screen, so I think it would be more convenient for your son.

If you check daily, you can get a 16gb for $30 more, but that would put your budget over $100.

I almost went with GameStop.com but after talking with a rep over the phone, I preferred Apple's warranty and examination process. It seems worthwhile to me spend a little more but to have a thorough examination, battery replacement, screen replacement, and warranty.

If you wait until Black Friday, Apple will have a discount next week, but I don't think it applies to refurbished items. The current iPod nano will probably be discounted a bit, is much larger, and could dock with a converter, although it will still be over $100.

Alternatively, you could just get a Sansa Fuze. Board members have overall raved about it.

Edited by crazyforlatin

I didn't know about iHome speakers. That sounds like what we would want as opposed to docking that it can't sit on. Thanks for the tip on how many you're getting for the price. :001_smile:

I'm also considering the one Mrs. Mungo referenced. One small speaker would be easier for DD to carry around. A couple of months ago DD dropped the portable iHome speakers and at the same time, crushed her iPod along with the iHome 30-pin dock. :glare: However, the 3.5 mm aux still works, which is why I now prefer a single 3.5mm aux speaker. Seems less prone to damage when the whole thing crashes to the floor.

Costco has a Black Friday sale on the dual speakers, so it ends up being cheaper than buying at amazon. I'm not sure if your area has this particular sale.

The problem with an ipod shuffle is that there is no screen to see the songs. I would suggest an ipod nano instead. Here is a link to a 2 generation refurbished nano for only $49.99. I personally think this might fit your son's needs a bit better.

Just a plug for the 2nd gen nano, I've been using mine daily for 6 years and have zero intention of ever buying another ipod because I love it so much :D

I haven't bought anything yet. I just discovered something called an Mp3 player. Any thoughts on those? Here's one on Amazon, a little cheaper than a shuffle but with a screen. It has decent reviews if you get different earbuds. And these speakers look fun, also good reviews.

I'm thinking I should start small and go with a simple Mp3 maybe before we jump on the "i" band-wagon. I know I'm a dork. I really really like CD players and discs. I am always one of the last to move forward.