Menu

Christmas Tree Decorating?

1. How many Christmas trees do you put up in your house?

2. Artificial or real?

3. Do you decorate yours with a color scheme, theme, or is it a miscellaneous mix of family decorations?

4. White or colored lights?

5. Icicles or garland?

6. Have any ideas for a cute theme for a kids' Christmas tree?

Thanks! :)

1. How many Christmas trees do you put up in your house? Two

2. Artificial or real? Usually one of each, but I did buy another artificial one last year as I'm tired of cleaning needles months after Christmas.

3. Do you decorate yours with a color scheme, theme, or is it a miscellaneous mix of family decorations? The tree that goes in the study (front of the house and is seen from the street) gets 'nice' ornaments while the one in the family room (at the back of the house) gets the 'special' ornaments like hand made, Looney Tunes, etc.

4. White or colored lights? White on the "nice" tree (see above) and colored twinkling on the "other" tree.

5. Icicles or garland? Neither. The "nice" tree gets ribbon and the "other" tree just has lots of colored lights. I used to use garland but found it hid lots of our ornaments.... we realized we like the tree better without garland as we can see the lights better. :D

6. Have any ideas for a cute theme for a kids' Christmas tree? Looney Tunes/Hallmark/Cartoon characters... I get cute ornaments from Kohl's with their sales & coupons, etc. I used to buy the kids an ornament each Christmas.

To be 'simple' maybe make popcorn & cranberry garland and pinecone decorations.

My replies in red.

1. How many Christmas trees do you put up in your house? One

2. Artificial or real? Real

3. Do you decorate yours with a color scheme, theme, or is it a miscellaneous mix of family decorations? I tried family ornaments but didnt like the look (which is what we did when i grew up) i like when the ornaments are all the same color.

4. White or colored lights? White only

5. Icicles or garland? both but prefer garland

6. Have any ideas for a cute theme for a kids' Christmas tree? nope, sorry. Check Pinterest!

answers bolded. :001_smile:

1. How many Christmas trees do you put up in your house? Three

2. Artificial or real? All artificial

3. Do you decorate yours with a color scheme, theme, or is it a miscellaneous mix of family decorations? The big tree in the front window has the bulk of our ornaments, the smaller tree in the living room has all of the ornaments the children have made, and the smallest tree in the school room is our Jesse Tree.

4. White or colored lights? Colored lights on the big tree, white on the other two.

5. Icicles or garland? Neither

6. Have any ideas for a cute theme for a kids' Christmas tree? No themed ideas, but I've always wanted to get one of those pink or purple trees for our daughters' bedroom.

One

2. Artificial or real?

Artificial (we have allergy issues)

3. Do you decorate yours with a color scheme, theme, or is it a miscellaneous mix of family decorations?

Misc

White

5. Icicles or garland?

Red beads

I'm not good at themes :tongue_smilie:

:)

Just 1. I was surprised when I learned that people put up multiple trees. :001_huh:

2. Artificial or real?

Yes. :D Right now, it's artificial, but only because of convenience (long story). We've done both.

Yes. :D For many years it was a mix of miscellaneous decorations, but about 15 years ago I decided to go for a theme, with extra miscellaneous decorations, because I can't find enough decorations for my theme: 12 Days of Christmas. Not very original, but no one I ever knew when I was growing up had such a thing as a theme. It took a long time for me to figure it out, lol.

[qouote]4. White or colored lights?

White. Always white.

5. Icicles or garland?

Usually, neither.

Not a clue. :)

2. Artificial or real?

5. Icicles or garland?

1. One tree. I live in a little house. If I could get away with a small, Charlie Brown tree, I would!

2. Artificial because of allergies.

3. A mix of sentimental ornaments and small greens. Oh! And lights.

4. White only. I've officially won that arguement after 12 years.

5. Neither. But I do put sprigs of artificial flowers and greens throughout.

6. Hmm... We do have a few handmade ornaments. And we do pick out one ornament every year as a family. This year's is an alien! :) We also get a box or two of candy canes to decorate the tree.

1. How many Christmas trees do you put up in your house? Two so far. One main tree that we try to keep DS from messing with and one kiddie tree that he can "redecorate" as he wishes.

2. Artificial or real? artificial--I love the look and smell of real but I have allergy issues. It was ok when I was a teen as we had a big house, my room was on a different floor, and I was gone at school/church/sports most of the time anyway.

3. Do you decorate yours with a color scheme, theme, or is it a miscellaneous mix of family decorations? over the years I have attempted to make most of our ornaments match my theme/color scheme, which is a nativity fabric print in tan with splashes of red, purple, and gold.

4. White or colored lights? I would prefer white, but we have colored because this is the one decorating preference over which I let my husband have control :D

6. Have any ideas for a cute theme for a kids' Christmas tree? last year our kiddie tree was just fiber optic lights with alphabet blocks. I had dh add eyelet screws and I hung them with red ribbon. That way DS, who was 2 at the time, could play with them and not hurt anything. Plus it was really cute and simple! This year I'm planing to add small vintage-looking toys that I collect from yard sales and thrift stores and maybe some little edible treats. Plus I'm going to have DS help me string some cereal.

We have three, two artificial and one real. The real one goes in our formal living room, and is silver and red. We collect Wallace Silversmith sleigh bells to go on it as a special yearly ornament (this will be our 13th). The artificial one in the boys' room is all different colors, no scheme. The other artificial is in dh's gallery and is lavender, navy and silver.

My mom has three sets of Christmas decorations which she uses on a rotation! When I was a teen it was just the first two, but after I left home she added snowmen/whimsy.

Victorian--originally my mom's favorite (pink/burgandy/gold with lots of frilly stuff and white lights)

Natural--my dad's favorite (traditional red plaid accents, dried oranges/apples/cinnamon/popcorn garland, handmade rustic ornaments and white lights)

Snowmen/Whimsy (blue/white, colored lights, large frosted white globe light "snowballs", hundreds of creepy snowmen staring at you from every nook in the house (my DH's description).

We put up an artificial tree if we have room!

We have had our basement flooded so....

This year we will have the tree I did manage to save.:001_smile:

And thankfully my dear mom has her own business and every time I order

anything I get a great discount!

I am loving what she is making for me this year.

She is so talented and gets great deals on top quality wreaths and ornaments.

I have red and green ribbon ( mixed lines) on a wreath and a teardrop with Big Red and bright green balls.

So, I am going to just get some WHITE lights and 6 of each of the same RED and Green balls from her. And she has some beautiful red, green, silver and gold picks with little shiny gifts on them. So, I have to decide whether to go with the gold or silver to accent.

We usually do a small tree on the piano for advent devotional ( Advent Jessie Tree). I am not sure if we will do that this year.

If not, we will do some type of Advent devotional and make some ornaments to match our tree.

I also bought a cute little green apple tree in a pot with greenery and some garland with pinecones for the mantle.

I have a box of pinecones from our huge pine tree before the ice storm destroyed it. I plan to somehow put some pine cones on our tree too!

I hope she still has ribbon to match so I can just get a few bows to put on the porch railing to match the wreath on the front of the house.

It is difficult to wait, but I am going with our tradition of decorating on Thanksgiving weekend.

I got a new Christmas cd and will pop popcorn on the stove, serve some light snacks as we decorate and drink some grape bubbly.

Then we can watch a Christmas movie. AHH! Can't forget the hot chocolate!

Kids have had some fiber optic trees before and if they want another I may get one. Our boys usually just want some lights strung around their rooms.

Kids are usually easy to please. Whatever they like should be easy if it is a theme. White lights with red bows and birds, or snowmen, blue lights and blue bows, Disney, Princess, Sports, Nativity, etc.

There are so many possibilities and simple ideas that would be inexpensive.

Edited by TGHEALTHYMOM

1. How many Christmas trees do you put up in your house? One or two, this year I am thinking about donating one, so we'll probably only have the one - and it's HUGE, so we don't really need another.

2. Artificial or real? Artificial

3. Do you decorate yours with a color scheme, theme, or is it a miscellaneous mix of family decorations? Miscellaneous

4. White or colored lights? White

5. Icicles or garland? Depends on the year.

6. Have any ideas for a cute theme for a kids' Christmas tree? That would require brain energy. Sorry. I agree, check Pinterest!

I love doing christmas trees, and have more ideas for trees than I have space. I also put ornaments towards the middle of the tree and not just the tips of branches. plain colored glass balls are good for reflecting light.

My main tree is a 9' pre-lit white light fake noble tree (it's just that much less hassle than real - and no bugs) with candle lights. I add ornaments to it every year. mix of antique to new ornaments, glass to kids craft-day. cheap to expensive. (and everything in between.). My top is a german wax angel my mother bought for me in europe.

I periodically do a family room tree (depends upon space in the room.) that is a themed tree built around about 110 different crocheted snowflakes. (i have another 100 patterns to make if I ever get around to it.) Since I believe "theme trees" per se to be tacky, I made a rule everything had to be homemade. it has

spruce cones with irredescent glitter (I used an eye screw so they can be hung.)

white glass balls with irredescent glitter,

crystal plastic beads in various combinations to make icicles, (the kids had fun, and they were easy.)

tinsle,

clear glass balls

I have white twinkle lights on it. You can practically feel the cold come off the tree. I keep looking for a similar fiber optic star top like my mom bought around 1970.

for a kids tree:

gingerbread cookies,

sugar cookies

popcorn and cranberry garland

candycanes

candies strung together to dangle

cornucopia's filled with toys/sweets/nuts

small toys

paperchains

folded children 'chains'

oh - and a train going around the base.

Edited by gardenmom5

We put up one real tree in the living room, and my daughter has an artificial one in her room.

We decorate with family ornaments that we have collected over the years, and I light the tree with bubble lights. My mom used bubble lights when I was little, and it is a tradition that I have kept. I love the way they look. :)

2. Artificial or real?

5. Icicles or garland?

We usually have one tree, I prefer artifical and I decorate with a toy theme. Always white lights. No icicles or garland. If I was going to let a kids do a tree them I would give them free reighn. My oldest dd does her tree with all of the ornaments that I have passed down to her so it is nice to visit her and see all the older stuff.

1. How many Christmas trees do you put up in your house? One main tree in the living room, one teensy tree for DS in the kitchen or entryway.

2. Artificial or real? The big tree has always been real; DS's is artificial.

3. Do you decorate yours with a color scheme, theme, or is it a miscellaneous mix of family decorations? Theme/color scheme! For the past several years it has been pink/purple/lime green/teal with jungle animals and asian-inspired ornaments. I really, really want to change themes this year and go peacock, with blue/teal/silver/etc. I think that's getting trendy now, but I've wanted it for years--I actually own peafowl, and they have helpfully donated many beautiful tail feathers for me to use making ornaments! :D

4. White or colored lights? WHITE. The only way you'd convince me to use colored is if I was doing a retro theme. I think a 50s retro tree with bubble lights would be awesome.

5. Icicles or garland? Nah.

6. Have any ideas for a cute theme for a kids' Christmas tree? Our kid's tree "theme" is anything DS wants to put on it. Any family ornaments that don't fit with my theme have been claimed by him, anyway, and he has a lot of fun with it.

In the house - One. The older tree it replaced is set up on the front porch with squirrel-safe decorations.

2. Artificial or real?

Fake. I grew up in S. Ca. with a real fire hazard each year and am too scared of them.

Mixed up! More fun!

Either. I grew up with those big fat colored lights and love them, but our fake tree came with tiny white lights.

5. Icicles or garland?

Neither. Cats.

Hang a small tree upsidedown from the ceiling so the toddlers can't get at it. Been there, done that.

;-) My answers are in the blue quote thingie

1. How many Christmas trees do you put up in your house? 1, although DD used to have an American Girl tree for her room.

2. Artificial or real? Real. We got to a farm and the boys chop it down. That appeals to me (we've only been doing it since we moved to a rural area).

3. Do you decorate yours with a color scheme, theme, or is it a miscellaneous mix of family decorations? Mix of decorations. Some day I will have a tree with a theme -- maybe a small one for the kitchen with tiny kitchen-related ornaments, and one with bird ornaments. Right now, we hang our family ornaments, plus the ones the kids have collected over the years which reflect their interests.

4. White or colored lights? We alternate years. The males like colored lights; DD and I prefer white.

5. Icicles or garland? I love using tinsel, but it is too risky to use this year due to our dog's ability to get into trouble - he is like having a toddler. We put a white plastic x-pen around our tree now, to protect the dog from himself.

6. Have any ideas for a cute theme for a kids' Christmas tree? Toys. Sports. Santa. Stars and planets. Animals. Winter (mugs, sleds, snowflakes, mittens, ice skates, etc.) Of course, the tree should relate to the children's interests. For years we hung mini-books on our tree (among the usual ornaments) that a friend sent us from Australia. When the kids were little, we used a lot of ornaments they made.

Edited by RoughCollie

Well, I used to put up 3. One large, and two small. This year we'll be lucky if I can squeeze in a small one somewhere. The rental we are in is just too small.

2. Artificial or real?

Artificial. I have a dd that would end up in the hospital otherwise due to allergies. (as a side note, when BIL was little he got pneumonia every year at Christmas. It took them about 4 years to figure out that it was the live Christmas tree :( )

Mixed. I love all of our decorations we've collected over the years.

White. With all the mixed up decorations, white just looks better.

5. Icicles or garland?

If I had to choose: garland. We haven't had icicles since our first year with a dog :tongue_smilie:

dh's cousin had some really cute ones for her kids...she did an all lego tree one year. (hung legos as ornaments) She did a John Deer one, and a hot wheels one too.

1. How many Christmas trees do you put up in your house? 4-- an artificial tree in the family room, a real tree in the dining room, 2 small artificial trees in each of my girls' rooms

2. Artificial or real? 3 artificial, 1 real

3. Do you decorate yours with a color scheme, theme, or is it a miscellaneous mix of family decorations? Family room tree is a mix of family decorations; Dining room tree has burgundy and gold decorations with a fruit theme; Kids' trees have ornaments that are related to their interests

4. White or colored lights? Some trees have white/clear, others have colored

5. Icicles or garland? Bead garland or nothing, depending on the tree

Answers bolded above.

1. How many Christmas trees do you put up in your house? Just one, but when we move to a bigger house, I'm thinking maybe 3. I want a small one in the dining room that I can hang tea cups and silver spoons on.

2. Artificial or real? We were using artificial, but I didn't like them, so we're back to real. Yay!

3. Do you decorate yours with a color scheme, theme, or is it a miscellaneous mix of family decorations? I use a color scheme. For the last 3 years it was red and white, but I'm tired of it, so this year it's red, silver and kind of a light limey green.

4. White or colored lights? White!

5. Icicles or garland? Pearl garland

6. Have any ideas for a cute theme for a kids' Christmas tree? Hmmm....maybe home made ornaments or you could hang crayons (new ones) and make a link garland out of construction paper.

One tree, real cedar--it's a family event to go to the tree farm to choose. And it seems to be a rule that we can't cut the first one we like. We must walk around the entire tree farm, you know, in case there's a better one we've missed.

No color scheme; just the random collection of ornaments. Colored lights--because the dc prefer it. I prefer white lights only. But really, the tree is for them so I let them decide. We sometimes use beaded garland but no other type of garland and no tinsel.

Right now we have one tree but we do hope to but another one. It's fake. :( DD8 and I are allergic to mold and after several years of having a headache for the entire month of December I convinced DH to go artificial. We buy ornaments for our kids every year and use crosses and snowmen are a bit of a theme. We have a garland and the kids made a paper chain last year. We use white and colored lights. I love our tree. :)

1. How many Christmas trees do you put up in your house? Three

3. Do you decorate yours with a color scheme, theme, or is it a miscellaneous mix of family decorations? Nautical & Heirloom

4. White or colored lights? Both! We use traditional colored pearl lights then add strings of scallop seashells that we have glued white lights inside them for a fabulous magical glow.

6. Have any ideas for a cute theme for a kids' Christmas tree? Classic Nursery rhyme ornaments for the younger set, or a hobby for an older child (legos made into ornaments, tie ribbons to matchbox cars, glitter & feather boas, anything can be made into a themed tree for the little ones)!

:001_smile:

1. How many Christmas trees do you put up in your house? Just one! :)

3. Do you decorate yours with a color scheme, theme, or is it a miscellaneous mix of family decorations? Miscellaneous family decorations

4. White or colored lights? Colored of course!

5. Icicles or garland? Garland

6. Have any ideas for a cute theme for a kids' Christmas tree? Classic Christmas Movies - Frosty the Snowman, Grinch, ect...

:001_smile:

One large one and one small Jesse tree

2. Artificial or real?

Both are artificial

Our large one is decorated in gold, silver and crystal ornaments

The Jesse tree has the Jesse tree ornaments

White

5. Icicles or garland?

neither

Superheroes!

Big, real, 9-ft or better, bushy tree. :D

Decorations w/o a theme that we have collected over the years. They are treasures, even if they are just made from paper. Examples--We have some of the ornaments from our first tree, which was when dh and I were engaged and he was living in OH while I was in my Sr Year at OSU. He got a huge tree for his apt--his mom sent us some paper decorations she made. His roommate had been a former group home kid in the same group home they both worked in that year, and it was his very first time having a Christmas tree. :001_smile:

Other ornaments include a wooden heart with "Halfway" painted on it that a dear friend in Seminary made for us our Middler Year.

Sometimes we have garland of various sorts--natural/popcorn/cran, styrofoam packing pieces strung with colorful construction paper shapes (when I was a preschool teacher), and wooden red berries. Only one at a time.

We have tin icicles from Vermont Country Store. We do colored lights.

Dh and I have completely opposite taste in trees. I want it in the corner, he wants it in front of the window. (his mother always put hers in the window of the front room so that by passers outdoors could see the lights at night. Our big window is at the back of the house, and it annoys me to have the tree blocking the light. We take turns with positioning, every other year.)

I like white lights, with a single color scheme (I've always wanted a blue/silver tree with white lights) He wants multicolor everything.

We both agree on no flashing lights, tinsel or garland. I like a pretty strand of beads on the tree. He hates them, but puts up with them.

1. How many Christmas trees do you put up in your house? 1

3. Do you decorate yours with a color scheme, theme, or is it a miscellaneous mix of family decorations? Multicolored, miscellaneous everything

4. White or colored lights? Colored.

5. Icicles or garland? Neither; don't like them at all.

I tried to edit my previous post to add photos, but it won't let me. Here are some pics of 2010 and 2011, both with red and white. You can tell the 2012 tree is fake. And yes, I'm totally insane and insist the wrapping paper must match the decorations.

The German lights are weird, so there are way more cords showing than I'd like. The do their lights in a continuous circuit, so you can't connect them and the strand doesn't have an end, it just loops back into itself. Putting them on the tree is hard! I decorate the tree while James Bond and Indy decorate a gingerbread house and we watch Elf.

ETA: Carp! Why are they so big??? I can't resize. Sorry.

.DSC_0132.jpgDSC_1225.jpgDSC_1226.jpg

1. How many Christmas trees do you put up in your house? One is really all I can handle. I hate ripping apart the house for the holidays each year--it's just more stuff to maintain. I usually think the tree is nice for the first week or two, then I am just sick of it.

2. Artificial or real? Real trees last year and this year. We did artificial prior to that simply because they were given to us. I am not sure how we'll proceed in future--do we keep killing trees or do we buy an artificial tree whose manufacture is environmentally disastrous but which will last for years?

3. Do you decorate yours with a color scheme, theme, or is it a miscellaneous mix of family decorations? Family decorations + white accents. When I was growing up my mother gave us each an ornament each year. I now do the same for my kids. I don't keep a tree for the pretty decoration--I can only enjoy it because of the sentimental value of the ornaments.

4. White or colored lights? We have done colored in the past because that's what we were given. However, I much prefer white and keep threatening to buy white lights and be done with it.

5. Icicles or garland? White tulle ribboned around the tree.

6. Have any ideas for a cute theme for a kids' Christmas tree? Stuff the kids make? Popcorn and cranberry strings?

1. How many Christmas trees do you put up in your house? 4. One big one in the living room, all 3 kids each have a mini tree.

2. Artificial or real? The big one is usually real (though we went artifical last year and got a FAB white one ;)), while the little ones are fake.

3. Do you decorate yours with a color scheme, theme, or is it a miscellaneous mix of family decorations? Theme. Big tree goes with my other holiday decorations - candy and gingerbread. Little trees are: YDS - snowmen, DD - Barbie, ODS - ornaments from places we've visited.

4. White or colored lights? That is a tough call every year. The kids trees all have white lights, so I go colored on the big tree. Although, I bought those LED retro bulbs - Holy cow, man, you can land a plane with those! I picked up some white ones last year, so I may try them this year.

5. Icicles or garland? Neither. I do miss the tinsel my grandmother used to use.....and vacuum up for 11 months :D

6. Have any ideas for a cute theme for a kids' Christmas tree? See above :001_smile: I also like the Disney ornaments (well made, popular with kids, usually can be bought on sale...)

I tried to edit my previous post to add photos, but it won't let me. Here are some pics of 2010 and 2011, both with red and white. You can tell the 2012 tree is fake. And yes, I'm totally insane and insist the wrapping paper must match the decorations.

The German lights are weird, so there are way more cords showing than I'd like. The do their lights in a continuous circuit, so you can't connect them and the strand doesn't have an end, it just loops back into itself. Putting them on the tree is hard! I decorate the tree while James Bond and Indy decorate a gingerbread house and we watch Elf.

ETA: Carp! Why are they so big??? I can't resize. Sorry.

.DSC_0132.jpgDSC_1225.jpgDSC_1226.jpg

I absolutely LOVE this tree!! We are thinking of getting new decorations for our big tree this year and I may have found the ones I want :D

One

2. Artificial or real?

Real

Miscellaneous mix usually, but this year we've discussed a theme tree.

Colored

5. Icicles or garland?

Neither

What are their interests?

2. Artificial or real? We used to do real before we had kids, but they are just too darned expensive now!

3. Do you decorate yours with a color scheme, theme, or is it a miscellaneous mix of family decorations? It is kind of red and gold, but once all the other ornaments get on there, that kind of gets lost. I shoot for a fancy tree, but it doesn't end up that way. I like it, though.

5. Icicles or garland? Neither; sometimes ribbon, though.

6. Have any ideas for a cute theme for a kids' Christmas tree? If we had a kids themed tree, it would be with all the corny ornaments - the Flintstones, Spiderman, Joe Namath, etc. and the big tree would be fancier.

:)

2. Artificial or real?

5. Icicles or garland?

We have two artificial trees, one is the Christmas tree and the other is a small 4 ft we use as our Jesse Tree.

Lights on Christmas tree only...we use colored. I'm all about color!

Miscellaneous decorations, the kids rebelled when I tried to do a theme...once.

No icicles or garland.

1. How many Christmas trees do you put up in your house? I have 7 trees - 3 full size and 4 between 5-6 ft

2. Artificial or real? All artificial, although I would love to add a real tree somewhere.

3. Do you decorate yours with a color scheme, theme, or is it a miscellaneous mix of family decorations? Color schemes mostly, but some trees are loosely themed. Each year I switch things up a bit mixing different colors together. I want a tree that is a mix of family ornaments but each time I added that tree it ended up with a theme.

5. Icicles or garland? Ribbon

6. Have any ideas for a cute theme for a kids' Christmas tree? I go more with colors and a loose theme. Dd 8 has a white tree with pink boas and lots of ballerinas, Ds has bright blue, green, and red with Dino's, trains, circus animals, super heros etc..., dd4 has bright green and hot pink with fairies.

3. Do you decorate yours with a color scheme, theme, or is it a miscellaneous mix of family decorations? No theme, but as colorful as we can make it. :D It is in our front picture window as part of our outside decorations.

4. White or colored lights? Tons of Colored!

5. Icicles or garland? Garland (thinking about skipping it this year), beads, ribbon

. Edited by ChrisB

One real tree. I used to do a strict colour theme but then hubby and I started painting those little plaster ornaments that Michael's sells and we ditched the themes.

I normally put white lights on but I found some multicoloured lights (the ones that have a the occasional pink bulb) and I'm going to use those as well this year. They're delightfully nostalgic. I don't use icicles but I do put red garland on.

One tree.

Real.

We inherited a lot of my husband's childhood ornaments, so we do those (no theme).

White lights.

No icicles, no garland.

My kids each have a tree at my MIL's house. One kid has snowmen, one has angels; my two nephews' trees are trains and gingerbread-people. Every year MIL adds to their trees a new ornament in the theme. My kids ask if they can have their own trees at my house, but I'm a grinch so I said no. They'd pick the themes: penguins and snowflakes.

All rooms get a tree. 1 real one in the living room and the rest are fake. They range from a 1ft tall to 8 ft tall. The school room may get a real tree again if DS writes a convincing paper on why. On our main tree is our favorite things from Hallmark ornaments to handmade ones. The kids trees are whatever theme they would like. The kids bathroom tree is all Mickey Mouse (I really should leave that tree out all year as when it is out the bathroom stays clean:lol:). I use garland lights on the tree.