Menu

Cheapest way to purchase Rod and Staff English

cjgrubbs

The only listing for used is on homeschoolclassifieds and the seller won't accept paypal and has no ratings so that is a deal breaker for me. I need English 6 and I posted here on the WTB board with no luck so I guess I need to buy new.:tongue_smilie:

Where is the cheapest place to get this from?

I paid a little more direct from the publisher because I had to pay tax. The actual shipping charge was cheaper than the online site though. I got my books in 2 days! It was a bummer though because I ordered on a Monday and the 50% off sale had just ended the Friday before. If only I had made my mind up sooner! LOL

Milestone Books has a used/discount section and they have a few copies of grade six English (student and teacher) available now. I've ordered used books from them before and was very pleased--good condition, good price.

Thank you for this tip!

Is there any reason I would need or want the extra student sheets? I mean they are only a few dollars but I hate to buy something we won't use.

Edited by cjgrubbs
wrong emoticon

I've bought most of my R&S books online, some from the FS board here and the rest from www.milestonebooks.com/list/Rod_and_Staff_Curriculum/. (I hate ordering things over the phone so I'm ok with paying a little extra to order from a dealer and the shipping is even fast since they're in the same state as I am.) The used section updates quite quickly and they have detailed requirements for the condition and difference in cost.

I have never bought the extra worksheets. There is PLENTY of work and practice in the text.

For the longest time I couldn't imagine why anyone would need the worksheets. They seem to be a time filler for a classroom, busywork. It is the same work, but the kid doesn't have to copy from the text.

And then I had an epiphany the other day. My youngest (3rd grader) still has to work hard at the mechanics of writing: when to use capitals, trying to sound out and spell a word, how to use punctuation as she goes, etc. and we do lots of WTM style writing. I started thinking that just doing grammar on worksheets so that she gets the concepts, but then saves the struggle w/copywork and other mechanics for our content subjects so that we get them in too instead of spending all day on R&S math and English would be a good thing for her.

So now I see the type of student they would be good for :)

They're already pretty inexpensive, but places like Rainbow or Amazon only carry a few pieces or none at all.

If you don't mind used, check sites like Amazon Marketplace, Half Price Books, and such. I found an entire 4th English grade set in like new condition for $17 at the local Half Price books.

I have never bought the extra worksheets. There is PLENTY of work and practice in the text.

For the longest time I couldn't imagine why anyone would need the worksheets. They seem to be a time filler for a classroom, busywork. It is the same work, but the kid doesn't have to copy from the text.

And then I had an epiphany the other day. My youngest (3rd grader) still has to work hard at the mechanics of writing: when to use capitals, trying to sound out and spell a word, how to use punctuation as she goes, etc. and we do lots of WTM style writing. I started thinking that just doing grammar on worksheets so that she gets the concepts, but then saves the struggle w/copywork and other mechanics for our content subjects so that we get them in too instead of spending all day on R&S math and English would be a good thing for her.

So now I see the type of student they would be good for :)

Yes, I use the worksheets for this reason as well. AND I let my kids write in the textbooks!

I like the worksheets for the same reason others have mentioned. We do a lot of the work orally, except diagramming and a few other things. The worksheets allow my children to do the work without requiring me at the same time. Just a nice way to change it up. The worksheets don't contain everything covered in the textbook assignments. Generally the "review" portion of the text is not covered in the worksheets.