Menu

How Many Books Does Your 3rd Grader Read?

DS is severely dyslexic and is listening to these books on audio. So far this school year DS has "read" over 100 books. These are chapter books and I try to keep the books grade appropriate for him but many are above grade level.

How many chapter books does a typical 3rd grader read in a school year?

DS is severely dyslexic and is listening to these books on audio. So far this school year DS has "read" over 100 books. These are chapter books and I try to keep the books grade appropriate for him but many are above grade level.

How many chapter books does a typical 3rd grader read in a school year?

You're doing extremely well. 100 books in a school year is more than enough. Keep at it!

DD8 LOVES to read, and while I don't count how many books she reads in her free time, I'd be surprised if it was that many this early. Her assigned reading is about 15 novels a year. She reads several books a week apart from that, but even at 4 per week that would be 25 weeks to reach 100. Of course, we do read outside books for science/history.

Are you having him read along in the book while he listens? DS6 isn't a huge reader, but he will follow along with an audiobook or when I read aloud. He often gets distracted and has to find his place, but I know it's helping expand his reading comprehension and vocab.

Sadly, not very many. He doesn't have any reading challenges that we can tell, but he's a bit of a late bloomer when it comes to reading. He's reading a lot of Lego club magazines, and reads bits and prices of other magazines and picture books. He loves to be read TO, so at least he's developing a love of books.

I think this year it will be 15-20, but that's not counting books that are read to her or audio books. That's just DD reading them herself. If you're using audio books, it's a good idea to let them listen to books that are advanced, it will get them to appreciate more complex English. Listening to a book doesn't count as "reading" IMO, though.

I think it depends a lot on whether the student is reading, or listening to a book.

The length of book also makes a big difference. For example listening to "The Hobbit" audio book is 11 hours and 25 minutes. Other books we have listened to are less than an hour.

I don't keep track of books via the school year. But I can tell you in the past month Eldest (a 3rd grader) has read, and I mean read not listened to the following books:

Roland Wright: Future Knight by Tony Davis

Roland Wright: Brand New Page by Tony Davis

Roland Wright: At the Joust by Tony Davis

The New Kid At School by Kate McMullan

Revenge of the Dragon Lady by Kate McMullan

He also read two chapters of "The Hobbit" and several other easy reader books such as "Splat the cat, the Rain is a Pain" and spent some time with graphic novels.

Edited by Julie Smith

I don't know what's typical, but my 3rd grader reads at least one chapter book everyday. If she is reading "easy" chapter books then she might read several books daily. She is a voracious reader and typically spends anywhere from 2-6 hours reading each day. Basically, she can read anything, so our issue is finding things that are appropriately challenging without being too mature (content-wise). My 2nd grader, on the other hand, might read 2-3 "easy" chapter books per week. He only reads for 30-1 hr per day and doesn't have the same level of fluency and comprehension as his big sister.

You say that your son is severely dyslexic. How much independent reading is he doing each day? Reading along with chapter books is probably wonderful for developing reading comprehension and a positive attitude toward reading, but at some point he will need to transition to truly independent reading.

Since books vary so much in length and quality, a sheer count can be interesting, but now always illuminating. Since the start of the school year, my third graders have probably read between 5-10 chapter/mg books each, a dozen or so picture books, and a dozen or so graphic novels. I've read aloud to them another 7 longer books, they've listened to another 3 audio books, and I've read aloud probably around 30 or 40 picture books for science and history. So the total there would be around 70 or 80 books so far this year, but of such varied lengths and delivered in such different ways...

ETA: The reading I'm most proud of is that one ds read Frindle on his own and loved it and the other read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and loved that. Those made me happiest. Happier than things like Dragonbreath or Squish or Amulet or Lego Magazine, as important as those things are in reading too. ;)