Menu

what is your favorite read-aloud for 9 yr. olds?

I know I have seen discussions about read alouds before, but wasn't able to find much in the search. Looking for new read-aloud books that would appeal to both girls and boys. TIA

Also, while I'm asking, what is the reading level of most American Girl books and did your child enjoy these?

Well, I'm afraid to say the Harry Potter books have probably been the most popular read-alouds here. DS 8 has just developed a keen interest, so we're on third reading of them, and DS13 and DS11 are very happily listening to them all over again.

We've also really enjoyed the Percy Jackson series, Redwall books, the Gregor the Overlander series, the Dark Rises, and Swallows and Amazons.

The Melendy quartet books by Elizabeth Enright -- all four are good! I find that unusual in series books. Laugh out loud fun.

Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome -- proves above point; LOVED the first one, not so much the following ones.

Dd also loved Caddie Woodlawn and a lot of the Sid Fleischman books.

We read some of the later Little House books then, too--esp The Long Winter and Little Town on The Prairie.

Narnia books popular with that age, too.

First couple Harry Potters.

Charlie Bone (poor man's HP).

Loved Secret Garden and Little Princess, but only the first would really be appealing to a boy, probably.

Revised Dr. Doolittle was good, as were the first two Pippi Longstocking books (boys would be fine b/c she's not a girly-girl and she has both sexes as friends).

Gladys Alyward's autobiography (The Little Woman) was very good, in our opinion, if missionary bio is ok with you.

DD and I absolutely loved Carry On, Mr. Bowditch. We went around for a week quoting it to each other. That's a pretty strong recommendation for a book - how many books do you quote to each other? :001_smile:

I really want to do these as audio books. I just can't get up the excitement to read them. But for some reason my library only has the odd numbers available as audio books. :confused:

No way! The language is so beautiful! Our oldest (6) read both of them within about three days and is so eager for more. You mentioned just the odd numbers available--I'd thought there were only two (according to Wikipedia it looks like the first and last of the series)! Do you know how to find the others? I don't see them on amazon... I'm wondering if they weren't released in the States...

I know I have seen discussions about read alouds before, but wasn't able to find much in the search. Looking for new read-aloud books that would appeal to both girls and boys. TIA

Also, while I'm asking, what is the reading level of most American Girl books and did your child enjoy these?

Mine loved Little Britches, All of a Kind Family, and Book of the Dun Cow.

No way! The language is so beautiful! Our oldest (6) read both of them within about three days and is so eager for more. You mentioned just the odd numbers available--I'd thought there were only two (according to Wikipedia it looks like the first and last of the series)! Do you know how to find the others? I don't see them on amazon... I'm wondering if they weren't released in the States...

Currently 7 books have been published.

What adds to the confusion is the first three books are usually sold together under one title, and the second three under another title.

I could look it up in the morning when m on my computer instead of my iPad.

But you can likely find the answer here:

http://www.tumtumandnutmeg.co.uk/book.htm

Well, I only have boys, but here's some favorites of ours:

Sherlock Holmes

Anything by Jules Verne (I hate reading them aloud though. But the boys love them!)

Narnia

Harry Potter

The Ranger's Apprentice Series by Flanagan

All series by Rick Riordan

Alice in Wonderland

Tom Sawyer

The Sisters Grimm by Buckley (This would be a great series for both boys and girls!)

That's all I can think of right now. Even though I have to work in the afternoons now, we still keep our hour of read aloud in the morning. We all love it so much! We are reading through the Ranger's Apprentice series right now. I love those books!

Dh read the girls Watership Down and Animal Farm when older dd was about 9 and those are her favorite books today. She re-reads them every year and gets more out of them.

He read the first three books of Anne of Green Gables when younger dd was about 9 and she still loves those. Younger dd was only 7 when he read Watership Down but it's also one of her favorites today.

Dh read the girls Watership Down and Animal Farm when older dd was about 9 and those are her favorite books today. She re-reads them every year and gets more out of them.

He read the first three books of Anne of Green Gables when younger dd was about 9 and she still loves those. Younger dd was only 7 when he read Watership Down but it's also one of her favorites today.

I have Ben thinking of doing Watership Down sometime in the next few months. I like occasionally doing a book that stretches us in some way. We just finished The Hobbit, and will be finishing the second reading reading of it in a day or two.

But I don't ow, "Watership Down". How is it on a sadness scale? Scariness scale? Could you compare it to any other books in regards to how scary/sad/tense it is.

Currently 7 books have been published.

What adds to the confusion is the first three books are usually sold together under one title, and the second three under another title.

I could look it up in the morning when m on my computer instead of my iPad.

But you can likely find the answer here:

http://www.tumtumandnutmeg.co.uk/book.htm

Oh, I see! I'd taken them to be different stories rather than different books. Aha! Thanks for clearing that up for me!

I have Ben thinking of doing Watership Down sometime in the next few months. I like occasionally doing a book that stretches us in some way. We just finished The Hobbit, and will be finishing the second reading reading of it in a day or two.

But I don't ow, "Watership Down". How is it on a sadness scale? Scariness scale? Could you compare it to any other books in regards to how scary/sad/tense it is.

Not Horton, but I read it in college and thought there was so much in it that a 9yo would miss. Political stuff, philosophy/religion/mysticism--it's pretty deep.

Just skip the movie. The scene near the beginning where the rabbit warren is gassed is just horrific, even tho it is animated. YMMV, of course.

Not Horton, but I read it in college and thought there was so much in it that a 9yo would miss. Political stuff, philosophy/religion/mysticism--it's pretty deep.

Just skip the movie. The scene near the beginning where the rabbit warren is gassed is just horrific, even tho it is animated. YMMV, of course.

I heard about the movie, and knew it would not work here.

The reason it is on our maybe list is dh is familiar with it. And when it's a book he knows and wants to read he can get really into it and his esteem is catchy.

But it sounds like it doesn't breeze over the sad/scary bits the way "The Hobbit" does. So that makes it a definite no for Youngest.

Thanks.