Menu

Why is science so hard??!!!

thowell

This is the subject I struggle to find the most of them all. Dd9 want something fun! Of course, lol and I cant find anything. I need it to be Christian and I would like to be able to buy everything needed at once. If I have to hunt supplies it never gets done. We have tried Apologia, she barely tolarates it. She wants experiments. I did the YSC and they are a joke so far. She is reading through the Apologia Sea Creatures and the 4th grade Abeka science so she is good on the reading part. I just need more hands on for her to do. I would like to have Friday's as our hands on day since that is the day dd12 has Biology labs with her firend. Any suggestions? I am sure I have asked this before!! Why cant I find something good!

Science kits are a good way to add hands on projects to what you are studying.

I have also heavily considered this and it is probably my preferred way to go since we have plenty of reading material. I just am not sure what kits are worth the money. I want something we can set up a station on Friday morning and she can spend a couple hours really exploring and experimenting. The YSC lasted a matter a minutes and honestly the experiments were almost laughable. So what kits are good quality both in materials and products?

Science just takes time and effort. Reading a script and filling out a workbook can actually be a solid way to learn grammar or math or even history. It's not a great way to learn science. Some kits are better than others - when my kids were younger we liked several of the Magic Schoolbus ones, but they wouldn't be great for a 9 yo. And even those aren't the best. DIY is better.

Some of the more project-y things that I'm thinking of - like Blood and Guts by Linda Allison or the Ellen McHenry curricula - aren't Christian though, so I'm not sure what to suggest.