Menu

Doing school while moving...

Rosie

We will be moving across the country at the end of the month and I need ideas for independent work my kids can do while I'm packing/unpacking/cleaning/etc. for a few weeks.

Here's what I have so far...

- Typing Instructor for Kids

- Rosetta Stone Spanish

- Review pages in math books (we've been saving these for when we move)

- SpellingCity.com

- Khan Academy

- Science Reading and Written Narrations

- Listen to audio books

- Free reading time

- Crochet, beads, coloring, etc.

Any other ideas for things they can do on their own? I especially need ideas for my 4.5 yo. Most of the stuff listed above would be for my older two....

I highly recommend VersaTiles by Hand2Mind. I did a review on them awhile back and ever since then we've been hooked. You can read my review here and see the tiles in action. It's easy enough that my 5 year old can do it unassisted. We also had the workbooks geared for First Grade. I bet they have them for younger kids.

The tiles and corresponding books are small, light weight and easy to pack!

We moved from VA to FL this past August, and had 3 weeks in a rental between houses. The biggest problem I had was with supplies - pencils, pencil sharpeners (biggie), paper clips, my 3 hole punch, notebooks, stapler, that sort of thing. I was forever looking (and rebuying) these things. I would suggest listing out the supplies you'll need and making sure those are in a box that stays with you just as you would your curriculum.

I wish I had packed a mini whiteboard (and marker).

If you are driving across country, maybe even some printouts from an educational site for each state you'll be driving through? A blank map to trace your route? Coloring sheets of the state flags, birds, flowers, etc. for you 4.5 year old?