Menu

Your favorite chicken & noodles recipe....ready, set, GO!

I like to take the chicken off the bones, then boil the bones and skin/fat for a couple of hours...it makes delicious stock. I add a few chicken boullion cubes and black pepper and take out all the bones/skin with a slotted spoon. If I think about it, I put in some finely chopped carrots and celery and boil til tender, then add in egg noodles (the Amish kind are just like homemade). When the noodles are done, I add in the chicken and serve over mashed potatoes. Kinda starchy, but yummy! :)

ETA: As long as you don't have a huge pot of water, the noodles thicken the broth into a thick sauce. If you have a whole bunch of water (as in, the noodles disappear when you throw them in) it becomes chicken noodle soup :)

Edited by Carrie Sue

I like to take the chicken off the bones, then boil the bones and skin/fat for a couple of hours...it makes delicious stock. I add a few chicken boullion cubes and black pepper and take out all the bones/skin with a slotted spoon. If I think about it, I put in some finely chopped carrots and celery and boil til tender, then add in egg noodles (the Amish kind are just like homemade). When the noodles are done, I add in the chicken and serve over mashed potatoes. Kinda starchy, but yummy! :)

I have the carcass in the crockpot in the garage making stock - I've been working on that since last night.

I'm thinking I want something more like tuna & noodle casserole, but with leftover chicken. Something along THESE lines (but obviously WAY better). I've tried some allrecipes versions in the past and just haven't been very happy.....hoping somebody here has a tried and true version that is yummy :)

I usually make a white sauce, throw in some (a lot of) Parmesan and whatever vegetables sound good, the chopped cooked chicken and some cooked noodles. Put it in a casserole dish, top with some bread crumbs and more Parmesan, and bake it until it looks done on top.

That's about what I was going to say.

Okay....humor me......white sauce? How? I'm still learning.....I come from a canned soup or follow a recipe type family.

Melt some butter in a pan, add some flour and stir it up, cook for a minute or two. Add some milk and heat, (on medium, I guess) stirring often until it's thick--it'll be almost to the boil. Salt and pepper as you like, but remember that Parmesan is pretty salty to start with. You could add herbs or garlic, too. I'd use a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of flour for each cup of milk or thereabouts, so you can make as much or as little as you need.

If your sauce doesn't come out quite as thick as you'd like it, undercook your noodles a little and they'll soak up some of the excess while the casserole bakes. If it's too thick, add some more milk.

Melt some butter in a pan, add some flour and stir it up, cook for a minute or two. Add some milk and heat, (on medium, I guess) stirring often until it's thick--it'll be almost to the boil. Salt and pepper as you like, but remember that Parmesan is pretty salty to start with. You could add herbs or garlic, too. I'd use a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of flour for each cup of milk or thereabouts, so you can make as much or as little as you need.

If your sauce doesn't come out quite as thick as you'd like it, undercook your noodles a little and they'll soak up some of the excess while the casserole bakes. If it's too thick, add some more milk.

Okay, sounds easy enough, now....how do I know how much I need? We usually make 16oz of pasta for our family.

Okay, sounds easy enough, now....how do I know how much I need? We usually make 16oz of pasta for our family.

Equal parts butter and flour.

2 tbls flour plus 2 tbls butter plus 2 cups milk. Makes 2 cups of a thinner sauce . Use 1 cup of milk for a thicker sauce ( more like canned soup consistency)

A can of soup is a tad more than 1 cup of sauce for reference.

I have leftover rotisserie chicken....I want to make chicken and noodles (casserole is fine too) for tonight's dinner - assuming I can stomach it. I'd prefer something not too complicated/messy, but yummy trumps all :)

Thanks!

This is a recipe that is a cheater recipe but oh so yummy. I was sick one day and a friend whipped it up and brought it over. Since then it has been in my pantry ready for a sick friend or a mom does not want to cook night.

I use Mrs. Grass Home style chicken noodle soup mix. Looks like this http://www.wylers.com/Gdetails/mg_products.aspx.

If I am going really easy I just add a cooked breast of chicken or left overs and a half bag of egg noodles. For sick friends I keep a can of Sams canned chicken in the pantry.

When I am feeling like making it more homemade. I will add my own celery and carrots sliced up to the broth to boil. For my family of 5 big people I use two packages of soup mix and a whole bag of egg noodles with 2 pieces of chicken boiled and shredded in.

I am telling you this is the next best thing to homemade.! Delicious!

For pasta 1tblsp of butter and flour per one cup of milk is right. So you'd want 2 of each butter/flour and 2 cups milk. You will toss it together and the pasts will soak up a bit anyways so you don't want it too thick.

Melt the butter, and sprinkle the flour, and stir on low hear for about 30 seconds-1 minute. Just until it turns a golden color and you can smell it. Then pour in the milk and whisk for a few minutes until thick. A pinch of salt and pepper.

I make noodles.

1 1/2 cup flour

2 eggs

splash of olive oil

enough milk to fill 1/2 the egg (I use fake milk here)

2 tsp salt

sometimes I get crazy and add herbs like chives or rosemary

Mix up the dough, let it rest for about twenty minutes, cut in fourths and roll them out super flat. Let those rest for about ten-15 minutes then cut into noodles. I dust them with flour a bit so they don't stick together. If the rolling pin isn't very solid (like hollow plastic) it won't work very well for rolling the noodles very flat. I use a wooden one.

I usually make broth from the carcass since it is cheaper but boxed broth works fine. You don't have time to make broth if it is for tonight's dinner.

Edited by Sis