Menu

I have to reprogram my child

He was only in PS for a month, but it was a school that does not teach phonics, they teach kids to recognize words. He only had time to learn a handful of words that way, but the ones he learned are boogers now when we're doing phonics.

So now ds is doing a work sheet of words that end with "id" and all the words on the page are "did" words. H-did, r-did, l-did. lol I'm dying here. :tongue_smilie:

He was only in PS for a month, but it was a school that does not teach phonics, they teach kids to recognize words. He only had time to learn a handful of words that way, but the ones he learned are boogers now when we're doing phonics.

So now ds is doing a work sheet of words that end with "id" and all the words on the page are "did" words. H-did, r-did, l-did. lol I'm dying here. :tongue_smilie:

:lol: I have SO been there! we are still reprogramming from my girls six month period in kindergarten... every word that starts with H is aways had to them :/

:grouphug:

I feel your pain. Nonsense words are helpful, my game makes both real and nonsense words.

Also, if you work in all uppercase for a while, that should help stop the guessing, uppercase hides word shape. (hat vs HAT, shop vs SHOP, etc.)

Don Potter has Webster's Speller and Blend Phonics uppercase versions for this purpose.

For my hard-core guessers, I have them say every sound of every word for a few weeks until they stop. (/b/ /a/ /t/ bat; /sh/ /o/ /p/ shop)

The blend phonics reader also is grouped by word shape to help reveal and stop guessing but making guessing even more apparent and making it harder to guess because similarly shaped words are all together.

:grouphug:

I feel your pain. Nonsense words are helpful, my game makes both real and nonsense words.

Also, if you work in all uppercase for a while, that should help stop the guessing, uppercase hides word shape. (hat vs HAT, shop vs SHOP, etc.)

Don Potter has Webster's Speller and Blend Phonics uppercase versions for this purpose.

For my hard-core guessers, I have them say every sound of every word for a few weeks until they stop. (/b/ /a/ /t/ bat; /sh/ /o/ /p/ shop)

The blend phonics reader also is grouped by word shape to help reveal and stop guessing but making guessing even more apparent and making it harder to guess because similarly shaped words are all together.

Thank you for sharing the game! Ds and I were playing a version of that this morning with some cards from an activity in OPG. Now we have an easy way to make more cards!

Thank you for sharing the game! Ds and I were playing a version of that this morning with some cards from an activity in OPG. Now we have an easy way to make more cards!

You're welcome! It's a hit with most ages. A few middle school/high school age students feel "too cool" for the game, but some don't. All of my elementary age students enjoy it. My adult students also enjoy the game.