Menu

Are You Allergic to Wireless Internet?

I recently read an article by Dr. Mercola entitled...

Are You Allergic to Wireless Internet?

As strange as it may sound, I have serious problems with this very thing. I am very sensitive to many things, especially in this case... because of it and without going into detail, we no longer use an airport (wireless) with our laptop and when our budget permits someday we will reinvest in a desktop computer (Mac of course ;) ). Also, I make sure that when I using my cell phone and have to hold it, I keep air between my ear and the cell phone or put the speaker on and set it down away from me whenever I can.

So, my question is... Are You Allergic to Wireless Internet too? Does it effect you when your on your laptop for longer periods of time? Do you have these sensitivities as well?

I'm very interested in knowing who has this problem too.

Melissa

Nope..thanks to all that is holy....I would just DIE I tell you, DIE!:lol:

Same here... thankfully no one in the family (immediate or extended) has any issues with wireless. This must be very hard for you, since wireless is everywhere. Libraries, coffee shops, etc. :grouphug:

I take Dr. Mercola's warnings with a grain of salt. That said, since my dd was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder, I've been more aware that people have sensitivities that seem unlikely at first blush. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some people react more intensely than others to electro-magnetic fields.

I take Dr. Mercola's warnings with a grain of salt. That said, since my dd was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder, I've been more aware that people have sensitivities that seem unlikely at first blush. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some people react more intensely than others to electro-magnetic fields.

I tend to agree about Mercola's site. It is fascinating, yet to be taken with a grain of salt. That said, new discoveries about how our environment impacts our bodies abound lately. The more we keep messing with the natural order of things, the more we will be reaping the negative benefits in the future. I suspect guys like Mercola are more on target than many of us would care to think. Many of these things are not thoroughly investigated because the big money behind the companies that market electronics, drugs, food modification, etc, have such pull.

Ok, I'll be the one out of a thousand and cough up that I am very sensitive to most forms of radiation. I've lived this way for a long time and it's a sensitive topic (been through the mill with quackery on both sides), so I'll try to be nice here. Mercola doesn't have a clue (very incomplete understanding) and things like that meridian balancing pen at the AwakenedShoppe are quackery. Radiation in every where, in more forms than you care to imagine. The current theory my practitioner is working under is that my nerves are just incredibly sensitive, which is why EVERY kind seems to bother me. There's bluetooth, wi-fi, your cell phone, radio towers, tv towers, cell towers, emf from your electrical devices and appliances, vibration (remember sound is energy and impacts our bodies), all sorts of things. Each one "feels" a little different. Mercola mentions that MCS'ers (people with multiple chemical sensitivities) are more likely to be hypersensitive to the various forms of radiation. Well it's true, and the stats are that for the small percentage of the population (relatively, presumably) that is MCS, only 10% of those will be hypersensitive to radiation. It is NOT an allergy, but a hypersensitivity in the nerves. Allergies go away, nerve problems do not. In fact, we managed to work on my immune system and liver to the point where I wouldn't call myself MCS at all now, but I'm still quite sensitive to radiation.

Wanna get weird? (Remember, I'm only telling you this because you'll probably NEVER meet someone like me, hehe.)

-I can feel the radiation as burning heat that comes from an optical mouse.

-EMF from power lines, appliances, etc. causes me severe depression, disorientation, and memory loss. Six years ago, at age 26, I didn't know the day of the week. We were living under high tension power lines, not even as high as some people are exposed to, and it did me in, totally causing my body to crash because I was home all the time in it. I went through the house and said where the amounts were higher, where they were lower, and when we finally got a meter, I was right.

-Bluetooth technology feels totally different. It doesn't impact me a lot initially but makes me feel funky later.

-Cell towers, well there it depends on how close I am. The companies that install them claim there's no more energy coming out than from an electric lightbulb. I don't know. All I know is what they do to me. If I get very close (within 1/4 mile), the sensation is so strong and uncomfortable I'm left squirming. When I leave, I then have a headache that develops and lasts a full week. If it's at least 1/2 mile away, I still get the headache, but it's more manageable. My practitioner's theory is the radiation affects your weakest organs, so each person could respond differently to the same provocation. My weakest, most damaged organ is my liver, so I get headaches in the place that corresponds to the liver (top of your head, Traditional Chinese Medicine), and we do things to cleanse the liver to help. I now wear full protective clothing with silver woven (hats, underjohns, the whole nine yards) that helps immensely. We were able to stop the huge portion of my headaches and make it much easier for me to go places. Remember cell towers are EVERYWHERE!

-wifi-Well this is problematic, but remember that anywhere that has it is probably near a cell tower. I don't feel it immediately, so I consider it a lesser evil. I don't get into it purposely, but there are a lot worse things to get exposed to.

-Radio and tv towers--Extremely hard to block the radiation from this (and believe me we've tried!). Unfortunately, our church built near a tv tower. Last time I tried to attend, I got so sick in an hour I felt nauseous. Don't ask me why everyone else doesn't feel this, lol. I know, it's totally weird because my dh doesn't, dd doesn't. That's just how it is. Our homeschool group meets near some radio towers, and best as I can figure that's what gives me headaches when I go there. Serious bummer, because I love going to meetings like that!

-cell phones-that's pretty easy to block by wearing my special clothing. I sort of feel it, but not nearly so strongly. I do carry one, but it's always off. I only use it on speaker, never to my head. Held up to my head, it feels hot and like ants drilling in, just awful. Don't know how normal people stand it, lol. Oh, and wanna get even weirder? There's some kind of buzzing feedback that comes through when I talk on a regular phone with someone who is on a cell phone, so I avoid that too. Like I said, mercola and these people thinking of it as some kind of "allergy" are so off, so incomplete in their knowledge. It AIN'T an allergy!

-wireless dog fences--Here's a good one, just in case y'all really want to get riled up. Again, it's something I don't feel immediately, but when I visited my friend's house with one, I had the most dreadful, unbelievable, AWFUL headache for a week. Radio and tv signals require copper or thicker metals to block, not the thin silver stuff found in most protective clothing. We have a consultant who helped us to build our current safe house, and he said not to even consider wireless fencing, that the frequency pulsates or something, making it more problematic than the average radiation source.

Time doesn't allow me to tell you of all the sources, but suffice it to say they ABOUND. The radio towers at the State Police Patrol, computers, pumps on your water filter or water feature, you name it, it's everywhere. I keep my computer on 9 foot cords so it's way far away and I use a flat screen monitor pushed back (less radiation). I wear protective clothing, including a hat, at all times, and I sleep in a concrete room. Unfortunately, concrete only blocks cell, not radio. We're making a new room that will have the better metals (copper paint, aluminum in the floors, special shielding curtains, etc.). If successful, it should stop radio as well as cell, which is my dream. I got pregnant shortly after moving into my concrete room. I had been wearing my protective clothing for about a year before that, but it was when we moved into the concrete room that we were able to pretty much stop my constant headaches. Shortly after that I got pregnant, after 9 years of infertility. It was as if God, my body, and everything else knew I couldn't handle those headaches on top of a pregnancy, kwim?

Well have I weirded you out yet? I'm the real thing. Mercola doesn't have a clue and most of the stuff out there is snake oil, either only mildly ineffective or totally ineffective. The consultant I used to build our house (which looks normal but is pretty fangled under the skin) is at http://www.emfservices.com The only place I buy stuff from for safety purposes and radiation mitigation is http://www.lessemf.com Most stuff is snake oil and only partially effective. Take the clothing, I have to wear two layers. I used to tell my dh these things and he thought I was weird, but then we started finding ways to test them with meters, but wrapping the materials around a cell phone or radio and testing the change, etc. You'll probably never meet anyone else like me, or else just one in your life, so now you can say you know someone. :)

BTW, if you work in Barnes & Noble and have funky symptoms, no reason to look for the most obtuse, obscure problem first. Those same symptoms apply to a LOT of problems. Paper products are a huge source of formaldehyde, so the formaldehyde levels are probably very high in there. Many people are sensitive to carpet, and those stores are carpeted extensively. You're standing in front of a cash register, the emf from which can affect anyone if it's high enough. You're going for long stretches without snacks or by eating junk food, so your blood sugar could be off. A lot of problems have the same symptoms. It's not like you can look at a list and say "boom" this is what's bothering me. We had to fix all my other problems, then it was obvious when this was left. I say start with the easiest, most common things and don't be paranoid.

As for what other people should do? I'd never put a cell phone on a teen close to their eggs/sperm, sorry. I wouldn't even let a teen carry a phone on, only off, only used on speaker, only for emergencies. The evidence is already mounting that there could be a connection with brain tumors and infertility, and that has nothing to do with sensitivities, just normal biology. I wouldn't install an invisible dog fence. I wouldn't live under high tension lines. If your teen is having insomnia, remove the computer from his room or have him turn it off at night (emf causes insomnia, even in normal people). Also look for the location of your meter box on your house and don't have a bed by it. Those are just basic, basic things that apply to all people. I don't encourage anyone to get nuts or paranoid about it. Like I said, it's a very real problem for me, but it's also NOT common. I used to hang out on MCS lists, back when I was MCS, and the number even there was so SMALL. You're much more likely to have other, more common things going on. Tackle the obvious things first.

Thanks for sharing all this. I'm sorry you have to deal with it. And, for what it's worth, I do believe you and am not weirded out by this at all. I'm sure there are many others in the same boat who have no idea that their symptoms are caused by their environment. (((Elizabeth)))

Lisa, that's very kind of you. You go through a lot of stages (bitterness, etc.) when you deal with stuff like this, just like anyone with a problem does. I'm just very thankful that my dh bends over backwards to get me things to help and that I *KNOW* now. As you say, there are people who are being hurt by this who never even make the connections.

Although I'm glad to know that I am not the only one, I am so very sorry to know that you have these sensitivities even ever so much more than me... I can't even imagine. I understand exactly what you mean by having to fix some of your other problems first and then knowing what was left is obvious...also, some symptoms being immediate and some delayed - depending on the source... and some sources causing different symptoms. Fortunately, my dh is very understanding as well and is really the only one who believes me without a doubt - he too accomodates me in any way possible.

I'm curious, now that some of your issues have been resolved/subsided (headaches, nine years of infertility, etc.) because of the changes you have made and in addition to having to deal with these sensitivities for the rest of your life... such as having a special room built and special clothing, etc.... do you have any permanent damage as a result of your sensitivities?

Just like percytruffle previously stated, for what it's worth, please know that I believe you 100%... and can relate to a your condition.

Melissa

Ok, I'll be the one out of a thousand and cough up that I am very sensitive to most forms of radiation. I've lived this way for a long time and it's a sensitive topic (been through the mill with quackery on both sides), so I'll try to be nice here. Mercola doesn't have a clue (very incomplete understanding) and things like that meridian balancing pen at the AwakenedShoppe are quackery. Radiation in every where, in more forms than you care to imagine. The current theory my practitioner is working under is that my nerves are just incredibly sensitive, which is why EVERY kind seems to bother me. There's bluetooth, wi-fi, your cell phone, radio towers, tv towers, cell towers, emf from your electrical devices and appliances, vibration (remember sound is energy and impacts our bodies), all sorts of things. Each one "feels" a little different. Mercola mentions that MCS'ers (people with multiple chemical sensitivities) are more likely to be hypersensitive to the various forms of radiation. Well it's true, and the stats are that for the small percentage of the population (relatively, presumably) that is MCS, only 10% of those will be hypersensitive to radiation. It is NOT an allergy, but a hypersensitivity in the nerves. Allergies go away, nerve problems do not. In fact, we managed to work on my immune system and liver to the point where I wouldn't call myself MCS at all now, but I'm still quite sensitive to radiation.

Wanna get weird? (Remember, I'm only telling you this because you'll probably NEVER meet someone like me, hehe.)

-I can feel the radiation as burning heat that comes from an optical mouse.

-EMF from power lines, appliances, etc. causes me severe depression, disorientation, and memory loss. Six years ago, at age 26, I didn't know the day of the week. We were living under high tension power lines, not even as high as some people are exposed to, and it did me in, totally causing my body to crash because I was home all the time in it. I went through the house and said where the amounts were higher, where they were lower, and when we finally got a meter, I was right.

-Bluetooth technology feels totally different. It doesn't impact me a lot initially but makes me feel funky later.

-Cell towers, well there it depends on how close I am. The companies that install them claim there's no more energy coming out than from an electric lightbulb. I don't know. All I know is what they do to me. If I get very close (within 1/4 mile), the sensation is so strong and uncomfortable I'm left squirming. When I leave, I then have a headache that develops and lasts a full week. If it's at least 1/2 mile away, I still get the headache, but it's more manageable. My practitioner's theory is the radiation affects your weakest organs, so each person could respond differently to the same provocation. My weakest, most damaged organ is my liver, so I get headaches in the place that corresponds to the liver (top of your head, Traditional Chinese Medicine), and we do things to cleanse the liver to help. I now wear full protective clothing with silver woven (hats, underjohns, the whole nine yards) that helps immensely. We were able to stop the huge portion of my headaches and make it much easier for me to go places. Remember cell towers are EVERYWHERE!

-wifi-Well this is problematic, but remember that anywhere that has it is probably near a cell tower. I don't feel it immediately, so I consider it a lesser evil. I don't get into it purposely, but there are a lot worse things to get exposed to.

-Radio and tv towers--Extremely hard to block the radiation from this (and believe me we've tried!). Unfortunately, our church built near a tv tower. Last time I tried to attend, I got so sick in an hour I felt nauseous. Don't ask me why everyone else doesn't feel this, lol. I know, it's totally weird because my dh doesn't, dd doesn't. That's just how it is. Our homeschool group meets near some radio towers, and best as I can figure that's what gives me headaches when I go there. Serious bummer, because I love going to meetings like that!

-cell phones-that's pretty easy to block by wearing my special clothing. I sort of feel it, but not nearly so strongly. I do carry one, but it's always off. I only use it on speaker, never to my head. Held up to my head, it feels hot and like ants drilling in, just awful. Don't know how normal people stand it, lol. Oh, and wanna get even weirder? There's some kind of buzzing feedback that comes through when I talk on a regular phone with someone who is on a cell phone, so I avoid that too. Like I said, mercola and these people thinking of it as some kind of "allergy" are so off, so incomplete in their knowledge. It AIN'T an allergy!

-wireless dog fences--Here's a good one, just in case y'all really want to get riled up. Again, it's something I don't feel immediately, but when I visited my friend's house with one, I had the most dreadful, unbelievable, AWFUL headache for a week. Radio and tv signals require copper or thicker metals to block, not the thin silver stuff found in most protective clothing. We have a consultant who helped us to build our current safe house, and he said not to even consider wireless fencing, that the frequency pulsates or something, making it more problematic than the average radiation source.

Time doesn't allow me to tell you of all the sources, but suffice it to say they ABOUND. The radio towers at the State Police Patrol, computers, pumps on your water filter or water feature, you name it, it's everywhere. I keep my computer on 9 foot cords so it's way far away and I use a flat screen monitor pushed back (less radiation). I wear protective clothing, including a hat, at all times, and I sleep in a concrete room. Unfortunately, concrete only blocks cell, not radio. We're making a new room that will have the better metals (copper paint, aluminum in the floors, special shielding curtains, etc.). If successful, it should stop radio as well as cell, which is my dream. I got pregnant shortly after moving into my concrete room. I had been wearing my protective clothing for about a year before that, but it was when we moved into the concrete room that we were able to pretty much stop my constant headaches. Shortly after that I got pregnant, after 9 years of infertility. It was as if God, my body, and everything else knew I couldn't handle those headaches on top of a pregnancy, kwim?

Well have I weirded you out yet? I'm the real thing. Mercola doesn't have a clue and most of the stuff out there is snake oil, either only mildly ineffective or totally ineffective. The consultant I used to build our house (which looks normal but is pretty fangled under the skin) is at http://www.emfservices.com The only place I buy stuff from for safety purposes and radiation mitigation is http://www.lessemf.com Most stuff is snake oil and only partially effective. Take the clothing, I have to wear two layers. I used to tell my dh these things and he thought I was weird, but then we started finding ways to test them with meters, but wrapping the materials around a cell phone or radio and testing the change, etc. You'll probably never meet anyone else like me, or else just one in your life, so now you can say you know someone. :)

BTW, if you work in Barnes & Noble and have funky symptoms, no reason to look for the most obtuse, obscure problem first. Those same symptoms apply to a LOT of problems. Paper products are a huge source of formaldehyde, so the formaldehyde levels are probably very high in there. Many people are sensitive to carpet, and those stores are carpeted extensively. You're standing in front of a cash register, the emf from which can affect anyone if it's high enough. You're going for long stretches without snacks or by eating junk food, so your blood sugar could be off. A lot of problems have the same symptoms. It's not like you can look at a list and say "boom" this is what's bothering me. We had to fix all my other problems, then it was obvious when this was left. I say start with the easiest, most common things and don't be paranoid.

As for what other people should do? I'd never put a cell phone on a teen close to their eggs/sperm, sorry. I wouldn't even let a teen carry a phone on, only off, only used on speaker, only for emergencies. The evidence is already mounting that there could be a connection with brain tumors and infertility, and that has nothing to do with sensitivities, just normal biology. I wouldn't install an invisible dog fence. I wouldn't live under high tension lines. If your teen is having insomnia, remove the computer from his room or have him turn it off at night (emf causes insomnia, even in normal people). Also look for the location of your meter box on your house and don't have a bed by it. Those are just basic, basic things that apply to all people. I don't encourage anyone to get nuts or paranoid about it. Like I said, it's a very real problem for me, but it's also NOT common. I used to hang out on MCS lists, back when I was MCS, and the number even there was so SMALL. You're much more likely to have other, more common things going on. Tackle the obvious things first.

Wow, that is so interesting! Thanks for sharing all this. I had never even heard of this before. I am so sorry that you have to live with all that all the time!!

Melissa, that's a good question. It's something I wondered about a couple years ago as I was starting to find out about my options. I was worried that maybe parts of me were being fried or permanently damaged with exposure. It's something on which there is absolutely no research, no way to know, just gotta make your best decision at every given moment. I think food allergy people do the same thing, pondering whether the consequence balances out what they get from crossing their body's line. With an allergy, there are consequences you don't see (how it affects the immune system, gut irritation, etc.) when you keep doing it. For me, it's sort of the same way, that perpetually going out into this stuff just leaves my whole system more sensitive, more on-edge. If I get into too much, it can whack me out so much I get nauseous or lose my appetite, which of course runs you down and has consequences. There have been times when I was going out multiple days in a row shopping, etc. where my practitioner would tell me I just needed to stop and stay home, that that wasn't my reality. Most of the time, I have my week of "payback" headaches, then I bounce back.

The memory stuff is largely back. Some things I don't even try to learn anymore, but I think my troubles are more in the range of normal, frazzled homeschooling mothers, lol. See some of the theories about the way these things affect the body is that they create stress reactions, to which the body produces carbon monoxide. (There are whole articles on this, weird eh?) So when the blood oxygen levels go down, the pituitary doesn't function as well, and that's why you lose your memory, etc. (Told you it was messy!) What that means is as you stop the physiologic stress and do things to increase your oxygen levels (mild walking, resting outdoors, sleeping with the window open, etc.), you improve your pituitary function. And of course nutrition can help the pituitary gland. So I don't have anything permanent (neuropathy, permanent tingling, etc.). My stuff has been largely reversed. I had the ringing in the ears (tinnitus), which I bought into as being caused by emf exposure. Actually, my understanding now is it's caused by mineral deficiencies. Started wondering that because it didn't improve when we moved to our new house 4 years ago, away from the emf, and was actually worse in quiet rooms. It's a lot better now though, which I attribute to our work on the nutritional side, getting my mineral levels up, etc. That's why I was saying there's so much quackery and misinformation out there, because the tinnitus was only a symptom of the overall degredation of the body and had nothing to do with the emf exposure, kwim? But it was pretty nasty when I was at my most sick, had to have a fan on just to sleep because the noise was so intense! I've even read of people committing suicide, their ringing was so intense and inescapable.

Well those were the days, lol, nasty and NOT worth reliving. It's one of those things where you don't look back. Everybody has problems in life, and, really, I don't consider my problems to have been any more extreme than the difficulties other people face, just different. EVERYBODY has problems. And there, I guess you have my most permanent side-effect, that I lost numerous years of my life to it. Oh well, I'm moving on.

BTW, for me, I consider it just one sensitivity, a hypersensitivity of the nerves to anything they're in the mood to be sensitive to. Compared to where I started (emf sensitive, photosensitive, low thyroid, adrenal problems, food allergies, you name it), being down to just thing is great! It's a pain (haha, no pun intended), but at least it's just one problem. And having the clothes and amelioration options is awesome. Like when I went to the Cincy Convention, the first place I was going to stay fell through when it turned out to be really close to a cell tower. The 2nd place, a rather seedy but adequate hotel, worked out great. I have special metal woven fabrics that are breathable and can wrap my head. I have special blankets and things for the bed. So by the time I'm in all my layers and wrapped up in my cocoon, I'm relatively safe, if a little crunchy, even in the city! It's made travel possible for me the past couple years and life a lot more enjoyable. I just figured SOMEONE was wondering how I was able to do things like our Oregon trip or the Cincy convention with all these things. Well that's how. :)