Menu

No-cook dinners?

My kitchen is torn up for a few days while we wait for the counter, sink and backsplash to be completed. I need ideas for meals (dinners, mostly) I can prepare tableside that don't require a lot of washing up. Is this an impossible dream? I'd rather not do take-out every night.

We do have a Weber on the patio.

We were without our kitchen for several weeks during our remodel a few years ago. We made extensive use of the grill for dinner. Grilled meat, veggies heated on the side burner and a green salad.

If you don't have a side burner, you could use veggies that roast well on the grill.

Baked potatoes on a slow grill would also be good.

Thank you! We did use our grill tonight. Maybe I'll just make that the default plan. Fortunately the weather is beautiful here this week. :)

I was thinking we could also make main dish salads at the table. Not very "fallish" but it's only for a few days (hopefully :tongue_smilie:).

Several weeks without a kitchen—yikes!

Can you still use a crockpot?

I would grill non-stop in those circumstances or a crockpot.

I don't like a lot of non-cook dinners in the fall, I just want soup :(

I do make summer rolls sometimes. I buy precooked shrimp from Whole Foods and juilenne some veggies, a sauce and those wraps you just dip in water. But...I like that when it is 1000000 degrees outside.

I would toss in some carnitas (pork trimmings or pork roast) cover with 1/2 cup water and 1 cup bbq sauce. Let it simmer all day until fork-tender. Drain the fat, pull with forks to shred then add additional bbq sauce as desired. Great on hamburger buns or rolled in a tortilla...

You could also crock pot a whole chicken or chicken breasts--- let it cool a bit then bone it-- use shredded chicken in salads or mix with bbq sauce (as an alternative to pulled pork)-- also good for chicken tacos.

Pizza on a grill is good too. Put your dough/crust on a baking stone then put on grill to cook for a few minutes (until it begins to puff) Remove then add toppings and return. Put lid down on grill and cook until done... should only take a few minutes.

Thank you! I think I could plug the crockpot back in and maybe leave it on the table. I do have some cooked pork roast to use up, maybe I'll do the pulled pork sandwiches tonight. Love the idea of pizza on the grill—never would have thought of it. And make-your-own subs will work, too.

Thanks again, all!

Can you use restaurants to supplement your entrees?

Maybe order a side of rice from Chinese, or an order of noodles from an Italian place to bolster whatever you make on the grill ... I'm growing tired of salads this time of year, so this is what I do on nights I don't feel like making everything LOL. Since it's a side, you can keep it cheap by ordering one serving to share.

Fajitas on the grills, with chips and salsa on the side?