Menu

SAT Exam

My daughter who is a junior just took the PSAT at our local high school this fall. We have yet to get the scores, but she feels she did well on the language portion and struggled some what on the math.

I'm curious. Do all of you prep your students for the SAT? Last year we began Barron's Prep books out of the library for a few practice tests. We are also going through the book Hot Words for the SAT's.

I know SO many public school students are taking courses to prep that are hundreds of dollars. Our daughters are more than likely going to have to at least start their college days at our county college, unless they can get scholarships.

Any comments or in-put? Do you prep or put your kids in a class? Also, I am thinking to have her take the SAT this spring and then that will allow another chance to take it in the fall of 2013. Makes sense?

We used the blue book put out by the college board. I really don't recall how many practice tests ds did before taking the SAT last year. Maybe three?

For any test prep I like to sort of "build endurance." We pretty much only do actual released exams - not much studying per se. So, I will have ds start by doing a couple of sections (timed) just one at a time. He always goes back over his mistakes to see why he has missed what he has missed. Then I will up it to two sections at a time (always timed), then three sections, etc. so he can get used to the length as well as pacing for each section. He is usually only does one practice test straight through in its entirety the Sunday afternoon before the test.

If your dd is rusty or lacking some confidence in math, I think reviewing some math topics is wise. My ds's "weakness" (which isn't all that weak,really) is in vocabulary, and, honestly? I think being a life-long reader of serious works is what helps the most.

ETA: I don't think a class is worth it. Especially if she has the self-discipline to self-study and prep. And, I agree you should take it this spring. If she isn't pleased with her scores she can retake next fall.

If you and your dd have the patience and willpower to prep on your own, it's MUCH cheaper and easier to fit into the schedule.

All you have to do is --

1) Locate a vocab program of sorts. (Number2.com has a good one, and some prep books have a good one.)

2) Work through one or two SAT prep books.

3) Have your kid write several 25 minute essays using old SAT prompts.

4) Have your kid do sections of old SAT tests and go over any wrong answers carefully.

5) Have your kid do at least one full-length SAT test in one morning.

Make sure you start early enough - it takes a few months to do a thorough job.

It takes a bit of self-discipline to do it at home, but it's so much cheaper and easier that I think it is WELL worth the trouble.

Wow, great responses, thanks. I'm hopeful that my daughter's motivation sticks and we can prep at home. The time/length of the PSAT came as a sort of surprise to her so doing an entire test one morning sounds like a wise idea as well as reviewing math and timed writing. We have never had an emphasis on timing writing in our home school but I am hearing more and more from my neices and nephews that this is status quo for the public school and of course for the SAT.

I guess we have our work cut out for us. Breathe......

Thanks again!