Menu

I quit.

It's one of those rare days. Sigh.

I quit.

I want to just pick up the kids, walk out the door, go the park, and spend the entire day schooling there.

Oh waaaaiiiittt.

I live in Oregon. Everything is wet. It's November. The sun isn't out today.

Only 260 more days of clouds and rain to go.

Seriously, I think you have to grow up here to be able to handle this weather. The rest of us should just stay where we were.

This just could be the year the weather actually pushes me off the ledge into insanity.

:grouphug:

Seriously. I start having major depression issues after a certain number of sunny days.

I can't imagine. :(

Honestly? I just want sun. I want the sun so bright it hurts my eyes to go out.

I'm. So. Freaking. Sick. of Oregon. Weather.

(And we've had a GREAT fall... I'm scared of my mood in January.)

Seriously, please, Lord, your will be done, but if your will can be moving us back to the Midwest, please, please, please, please, let DH get this job.

I'm sure it's the combination of one hundred things...

Holding our breath to get the job.

DH has been gone for eight out of the last 14 days.

The two year old decided to make eggs this morning.

We stayed up late last night playing a board game.

My coffee was weak this morning. ;)

I've been eating less than ideal lately. :glare:

Those lovely progesterone shots.

And, finally, lack of sun. I may love the people here, but someone beat me if I ever consider moving back once we're gone.

Move to Texas. Seriously. We just moved here from PA.

The summer was brutal, but now, it's SO lovely!

November was always the most depressing month of the year for me. Everything turned gray and cold, and it was the beginning of 6 long months of winter.

In TX, it is sunny almost every day. I am delirious on sunshine. :lol:

When I see people from back in PA writing on FB about they haven't seen the sun in weeks, I can't believe that I spent so many years living that way. :)

:grouphug: That would be rough. I've heard the Pacific NW is beautiful, but I am the same as you... I need the sun, and I'm afraid it would be very tough in that regard. I'm a midwestern girl as well. I've even had trouble with the time change, having it get dark earlier. So I sympathize.

I hope it is His will for you to head back to a place where the sun peeks out more often!!

It's one of those rare days. Sigh.

I quit.

I want to just pick up the kids, walk out the door, go the park, and spend the entire day schooling there.

Oh waaaaiiiittt.

I live in Oregon. Everything is wet. It's November. The sun isn't out today.

Only 260 more days of clouds and rain to go.

Seriously, I think you have to grow up here to be able to handle this weather. The rest of us should just stay where we were.

This just could be the year the weather actually pushes me off the ledge into insanity.

I agree. I get really cranky when it is gray outside, especially if it persists on and on and on.

I will never live in Oregon.

A coastal area with fabulous beaches has my name on it.

I can't imagine. :(

Honestly? I just want sun. I want the sun so bright it hurts my eyes to go out.

I'm. So. Freaking. Sick. of Oregon. Weather.

(And we've had a GREAT fall... I'm scared of my mood in January.)

Seriously, please, Lord, your will be done, but if your will can be moving us back to the Midwest, please, please, please, please, let DH get this job.

I'm sure it's the combination of one hundred things...

Holding our breath to get the job.

DH has been gone for eight out of the last 14 days.

The two year old decided to make eggs this morning.

We stayed up late last night playing a board game.

My coffee was weak this morning. ;)

I've been eating less than ideal lately. :glare:

Those lovely progesterone shots.

And, finally, lack of sun. I may love the people here, but someone beat me if I ever consider moving back once we're gone.

This is a fairly "out there" suggestion, but it is one of the only things that worked for my mom when we lived there - she grew up in a much sunnier location and has never dealt well with gray weather.

If you're close to Portland have you tried regular trips to the zoo? I remember going so often as a kid that we were on a first name basis with most of the employees. My mom liked to sit in the tropical aviary (right there by the elephants and the AfriCafe) and the indoor area by the giraffes (with all of the basket weaving birds etc). Those areas tend to be warmer and well lit. I think the warmer, slightly brighter atmosphere combined with the "getting out the house and going someplace fun" aspect helped her a lot. I just remember that she was *always* in a better mood after we had gone.

Never, never ever, never ever DEVER move to San Francisco. Twelve years of constant drizzle, over cast skies, and a temp somewhere in the 60s drove me totally crazy. Like "HEY, LET'S MOVE TO RURAL MINNESOTA" crazy. I love the weather here because we have these novel things called seasons. Also, never move to southern California where it is all sunshine all the time. A friend of a friend once complained that she never had book or soup weather while living there.

The one thing I have to say about midwestern living this year is that the general populace is thinking this is going to be an ugly winter.

AS for the going to the park issue... I found play areas at fast food restaurants did okay in a pinch. Go, eat food, let the kids play. Sit in a corner and read a book, knit, watch the kids.

I didn't live in Oregon long, but I found if I went for a walk outside, even on the worst days, I felt much better. But I hear you about OR. It's a beautiful state; too bad you have to live through nine months of dreary weather to enjoy it.

Exactly! In July, August, September, and even October, you think - WOW! This is GORGEOUS. The mountains, the ocean, the trees, the landscape... All of it. G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S.

I'll tell you what, 'til you realize how long they go without sun.... I have friends who say, "Oh yeah, it's been raining here for a few days..." Trust me. You've not seen this. The clouds are so heavy the sun wouldn't dare try to get through. ;)

Today was a long day.

No, we don't really live close to the zoo. We have a family membership, else it would be crazy expensive for us to just swing by with 9 kiddos. Honestly, with gas prices as they are and us driving a 15 passenger van, we'll all have to suffice with trips to Costco. :glare:

I love the ocean, but again, the two hour drive on windy roads... It's a trip to be braved only with Daddy with us.

I think today was simply too much stuff adding up... One very tired mama, the progesterone shot, the NEVER-ENDING waiting to hear about this job, the cloudy day....

I tucked the kids in for a nap, laid down on the floor in the living room and promptly fell asleep for a two hour nap. I woke up feeling MUCH better.

My vitamin D is probably a little low. It was very, very low last winter, but I just didn't FEEL dreadful like I do right now. I really think these progesterone shots are doing quite a number on me. No side effects? Bah. I don't believe it a bit.

Between that and the waiting for the answer on this job, it's just one of those hold your breath and get through it kind of a day. I wish we'd hear! My goodness people, he's awesome. How much more do you need to know? Sunny midwest, here we come.... Maybe. :D

I hear you! We live where there are probably 325 sunny days a year, and I still get depressed. I can't imagine living in th Pacific Northwest. We visited relatives in Portland a few years ago in June, and the temps were in 60's all week with a little drizzle. (I've been there in August, too, when it hit mid 90's. So I know it does warm up.). But that week was like winter for us literally. And I felt so claustrophobic from all the trees. It is SUCH a beautiful place, but I could never live there.

I moved from Portland last year. I thought I would go crazy too. I remember in 2006 we had a record number of days of rain -like 60 straight days or something- and once when I as driving I saw some blue sky in between the clouds. I almost had to pull over from the shock because I had forgotten that there was sun and sky above the clouds.

We moved to Alaska, and while it is much colder, we have SUN! year round. Yes, we have storms but we have sunny days every month. It's amazing what that does for my mood and energy. Last winter it snowed from Halloween to May 9th, but by golly, we had lots of sun in there.

:grouphug:

I can sympathize... kind of. I grew up near Portland... so yes I *big squishy heart* love cool, rainy, overcast for days weather. :tongue_smilie: Seriously. I start having major depression issues after a certain number of sunny days.

I grew up in CA and I can't stand to be in cloudy weather for days on end. hhhhhmmmmmm, guess it depends on what you're used to? I never thought of it that way, just thought everyone naturally wanted sun. Who knew!

We moved to Alaska, and while it is much colder, we have SUN! year round. Yes, we have storms but we have sunny days every month. It's amazing what that does for my mood and energy. Last winter it snowed from Halloween to May 9th, but by golly, we had lots of sun in there.

I didn't realize Alaska had so much sun? Huh, learned something new.

No offense to the mama who lives in Illinois, but, lol, I'm from Iowa. I promise, you cannot imagine weeks on end of NO sun.

I remember before we moved out here, my dad said to us, "You're going to hate it, it rains all the time."

And what did I say? I love rainy days. It'll be great. There'll be a cool mist all the time. No more 100 degree summers. It'll be overcast and you'll be able to be out all the time without burning, and no feet of snow to deal with. It'll be awesome.

LOL! It's kind of funny now.

I admit, I miss four seasons. I love spring and thunderstorms, hot summers, crisp falls, and freezing cold winters with SNOW! :)

We had a school tradition of on wet, drizzly, rainy days of making cookies. We did it every rainy day. We moved here in February and the kids are like, "Awesome! RAIN DAY = COOKIE DAY!"

You can't do that for 250 days in a row. :D

Oregon is gorgeous. Probably the prettiest place I've ever been. I'm sure when (if) we get back to the Midwest we'll look around and think, "Whoa! There are NO trees!" :) I KNOW we'll miss all the stuff we do in the summer - the zoo, OMSI, the state parks (LOVE the state parks), going to the Falls, the ocean... Especially the ocean and camping there. We're definitely going to miss Oregon when we're gone, but I'll love sun again! :)

AS for the going to the park issue... I found play areas at fast food restaurants did okay in a pinch. Go, eat food, let the kids play. Sit in a corner and read a book, knit, watch the kids.

I'm in Seattle. When its been rainng for days on end I totally utilize McD's. Buy a $1 soda, let the kds run their energy out and I sit and read my kindle.

I grew up in CA and I can't stand to be in cloudy weather for days on end. hhhhhmmmmmm, guess it depends on what you're used to? I never thought of it that way, just thought everyone naturally wanted sun. Who knew!

No me. I get cranky when it been sunny too long. We had record stretch of sun this summer. I. Was. Sick. Of. The. Sun. Winter is my favorite season. Of course I've loved in Seattle for 31 years.