Menu

Vacation decisions: NC, SC or Georgia

We are beach people and love the beach and quiet vacation. We do not mind driving an hour to go see something.

Here is what I have found so far:

North Carolina: Wrightsville beach, Carolina Beach, Outer banks, Emerald Isle

South Carolina: Folly Beach, Sullivan's island and I know the famed Myrtle but heard its very commercial driven.

Georgia: St Simon, tybee island

Again we love beaches. We love biking and hiking. We love history so if we stayed in S. Carolina we would visit Charleston. I heard Georgia's St. Simon has a lot of historical stuff as well as N. Carolina esp in the Wrightsville beach.

We do not stay in hotels but in condos. We never have rented a house and have mixed feelings about it. (scary movie type feeling LOL) We are very adventurous however love to chill out and relax. We love putt putting and getting into the local atmosphere. This is for the month of June which I know jacks the price up a bit. It is possible we can do May but not sure.

Help??

Holly

You would love Hilton Head Island in SC. Within driving distance to Savanna and Charleston. Massive amount of biking trails. I think that most of the island can be reached via paved bike paths. Bike rentals are very affordable too. Lots of parks. More natural (not clear cut like Myrtle). You can easily find high end resorts or more affordable housing, depending on your budget. We usually stay in a very affordable condo.

We are beach people and love the beach and quiet vacation. We do not mind driving an hour to go see something.

Again we love beaches. We love biking and hiking. We love history so if we stayed in S. Carolina we would visit Charleston. I heard Georgia's St. Simon has a lot of historical stuff as well as N. Carolina esp in the Wrightsville beach.

We do not stay in hotels but in condos. We never have rented a house and have mixed feelings about it. (scary movie type feeling LOL) We are very adventurous however love to chill out and relax. We love putt putting and getting into the local atmosphere. This is for the month of June which I know jacks the price up a bit. It is possible we can do May but not sure.

Help??

Holly

I've been to the Outer Banks with friends, Emerald Isle with church and Myrtle Beach with family. For quiet but lots of things to do, I'd say Outer Banks. For quiet and a few things to do, I'd say Emerald. Yes, Myrtle is very commercial. We enjoyed it, but very commercial.

What about renting a house worries you? At both OBX and EI, we've rented houses. You get a kitchen and no noisy neighbors to worry about. We've never had problems. The houses have been nice. Someone to call if things don't work. OK, the hot tub this summer at OB was a bust and ds got some sort of skin infection. But every other one has been fine.

OBX things to do - light houses, rental/guided kayaks and such, Roanoke Island, that play near Roanoke Island - oh! The Lost Colony.

EI - close by is an aquarium, a fort that was used in Civil War, WW I, maybe WW II. But when I've gone to EI, we go for retreat purposes, not stuff to do.

I'd go to any of these places again. And I do. ;) Returning just means more time on the beach, less time sight seeing! But not Myrtle. TOO much traffic getting there or getting home.

We've been t both the Outer Banks and MB. We love them both for different reasons. The OBX are more relaxing, whereas Myrtle, there are tons of things to do. Although, the last time we went to Myrtle in May, we spent most of our time at our hotel which is closer to N Myrtle and less crowded. Myrtle itself is very crowded, so we never stay there.

Some of my favorite vacation spots are *near* where you've posted. I vote renting in Corolla or Duck, on the Outer Banks, and Edisto Island, in South Carolina.

:iagree: We love love love our annual extended-family vacation in Corolla. It's so relaxing and easy.

I've heard wonderful things about Tybee Island too, but have never been. One friend booked a vacation cottage there and loved it so much that she started a domino effect among our HSing friends :lol: The cottage owners (maybe managers?) actually give an educator discount to HSers too! Gotta love that :D

Water in OBX in early June is chilly.

Just saw this. This is when we go as well, and we've never had a real problem with it--it is chilly, but once you're in, you're good. It certainly never stopped the kids or DH! The prices in early June are surprisingly reasonable (though not bargain basement). We've also seen tons of dolphins, a mama sea turtle up on the beach laying her eggs in a dune, the Corolla wild horses, and a beach full of tiny sea turtles working their way toward the sea. Did I mention we love Corolla? :lol:

Edited by Sweet Morning Air

Just saw this. This is when we go as well, and we've never had a real problem with it--it is chilly, but once you're in, you're good. It certainly never stopped the kids or DH! The prices in early June are surprisingly reasonable (though not bargain basement). We've also seen tons of dolphins, a mama sea turtle up on the beach laying her eggs in a dune, the Corolla wild horses, and a beach full of tiny sea turtles working their way toward the sea. Did I mention we love Corolla? :lol:

I adore Corolla, too. Such a great quiet area! ... and I agree with this, but if you want warm water, it isn't there ... We haven't seen dolphins there like we do at Hilton Head, though!

I adore Corolla, too. Such a great quiet area! ... and I agree with this, but if you want warm water, it isn't there ... We haven't seen dolphins there like we do at Hilton Head, though!

Really? We see so many of them! I'm amazed every summer when we go. I'd never seen dolphins in the water until our first summer in Corolla. Of course, I've never been to HH, so I can't compare :D

Did you look at Jekyll Island, GA when you looked at St. Simon? It has a couple of hotels and condos and lots of National or is it State Park. We love it there and the surrounding area. There is a lot to see and do within an hour drive.

We went to Jekyll Island last spring and it was fantastic. We just did a day trip - we were staying in Savannah- but wish we had longer. Gorgeous!

If you want super quiet, look at Edistio. If you want somewhat quiet, but bike trails, golf, tennis, and pools, check out Isle of Palms- specifically Wild Dunes. You can rent a condo or a house there. It's much closer to Charleston than Edisto. There are restaurants close by, if you enjoy eating out for part of the time.

South Carolina: Folly Beach, Sullivan's island and I know the famed Myrtle but heard its very commercial driven.

Georgia: St Simon, tybee island

Help??

Holly

Any of those beaches should be fine in June. If you go in May, however, you would want to go as far south as you can to St. Simon's/Jekyll or Tybee because it would still be pretty cold at the SC and NC beaches

I grew up in Georgia and SC and now live in NC, so I've been to most of the beaches you mentioned. They are all nice and have their own unique charm.

Some of my favorite vacation spots are *near* where you've posted. I vote renting in Corolla or Duck, on the Outer Banks, and Edisto Island, in South Carolina.

We have been going to Edisto Island for about 10 years. Very relaxed atmosphere. Beautiful beaches and wildlife.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

We LOVE LOVE LOVE Hilton Head Island! We go every other May, and the water is chilly but doable. We stay here http://www.disneybeachresorts.com/hilton-head-resort/at Disney's resort. Lots of great day trips, too. Savannah is less than a half hour, Charleston is about an hour, Tybee Island was nearby and the kids had a blast at Fort Pulaski. Can't wait to go back in May 2013.

We like the OBX and Emerald Isle.

Our favorite of all beach vacations was Fripp Island. It is amazing... a gated island community with a beautiful beach, plenty to do (golf, tennis, pools, biking trails), and tide pools which allowed the kids to catch many crabs. Golf carts are the main transportation on the island, which was a lot of fun.

We rented a house one row back from the beach. We could see the water from our porch and the walk to the beach was easy.

Duplexes are a good way to go if you don't want to rent a house.

We avoid Myrtle Beach entirely.

If you want super quiet, look at Edistio. If you want somewhat quiet, but bike trails, golf, tennis, and pools, check out Isle of Palms- specifically Wild Dunes. You can rent a condo or a house there. It's much closer to Charleston than Edisto. There are restaurants close by, if you enjoy eating out for part of the time.

:iagree: with these for SC beaches. Stay far away from Myrtle Beach.

You would love Hilton Head Island in SC. Within driving distance to Savanna and Charleston. Massive amount of biking trails. I think that most of the island can be reached via paved bike paths. Bike rentals are very affordable too. Lots of parks. More natural (not clear cut like Myrtle). You can easily find high end resorts or more affordable housing, depending on your budget. We usually stay in a very affordable condo.

:iagree: It's wonderful.

My top three would be Emerald Isle, NC, Hilton Head, SC or Tybee Island, GA. My absolute favorite is Emerald Isle. We spent a week there in September and it was magical. Absolutely beautiful!! We rented a house on the sound side and walked to the beach. It was just paradise!! We've been to Hilton Head and Tybee for a weekend. Those are awesome places too!

Hilton Head, Outer Banks, Isle of Palms, or Tybee would be my choices. All are beautiful and near some wonderful places to visit. I love, love, love Charleston, and Savannah is a very close second. You could easily access Charleston from Hilton Head or Isle of Palms. If you want Savannah, go to Hilton Head or Tybee.

Emerald Isle has great shark's teeth. If you have kids who would like that, it's a big bonus.

We like Topsail Beach on Topsail Island, one of the barrier islands, and rent at the south end of the island, which is undeveloped, and serves as a bird sanctuary. It's a quiet little town. There are mostly houses and cottages to rent, but some town houses at the southern end of the island. We've gone in June; it's beautiful and at the beginning of June, it's not peak season yet. There is a sea turtle hospital there as well. (Really cool!) The ocean is on one side and a sound about 3 blocks away. It's not too far from Wrightsville Beach if you want more action. It also has a lot of shark's teeth, but not as big as the ones at Emerald Isle.

Edited by Laurie4b

Stay away from Tybee - very crowded and rundown. Beaches are crowded and it is seems every inch of space has been developed. Not at all a quiet place. St. Simons is beautiful. Hilton Head is nice too.

Amazing the variety of opinions on this board!! I'll offer mine: If you plan to come to coastal Georgia, St Simons *is* beautiful, but if you want a unique experience, go to Jekyll instead. The hotels aren't much to look at, (unless you stay at Jekyll Island Club: http://www.jekyllclub.com/) but the beach is amazing and you'll have it all to yourself. It's a real treasure. Tybee is similar to St Simon's. And a warning: beaches in Ga aren't very pretty. It's not the gorgeous white sand you may be accustomed to; however, there are lots of hermit crabs, sand dollars, and dolphins. And bring a boogie board or two :)

Margaret

Amazing the variety of opinions on this board!! I'll offer mine: If you plan to come to coastal Georgia, St Simons *is* beautiful, but if you want a unique experience, go to Jekyll instead. The hotels aren't much to look at, (unless you stay at Jekyll Island Club: http://www.jekyllclub.com/) but the beach is amazing and you'll have it all to yourself. It's a real treasure. Tybee is similar to St Simon's. And a warning: beaches in Ga aren't very pretty. It's not the gorgeous white sand you may be accustomed to; however, there are lots of hermit crabs, sand dollars, and dolphins. And bring a boogie board or two :)

Margaret

This is on our list of beaches we want to visit (Jekyll Island).

Hilton Head is nice but book now for June. We go in May every year and come June the humidity is unbearable. Anything that far south will be sweaty:tongue_smilie:

We used to go to Sunset Beach, NC every year as a kid. It's mostly houses but some condos have been built. It has a new bridge going over there. It's very quiet. It's technically an island and the geography has it facing N/S instead of E/W. You can go into Calabash for dinner or if you want stuff to do you are about an hour from Myrtle Beach. And it's not too far to Wilmington, NC for other things to do.

Wrightsville is ok. More crowded. But close to Wilmington.

Edisto is nice. had a great trip there once.

Outer Banks would be fun in June. Decent weather and schools around here don't get out until mid June...so aim early and avoid some crowds. But it's narrow and spread out...so pick your location wisely to make the most of all to see.

Ok several mentioned Jekyll Island. What else can you tell me about it? I am seeing it is wonderful but why??

I have put all of your comments on a chart. :)

Thanks!!

Holly

Jekyll is so great because it's underdeveloped. I believe that by law it must remain 85% undeveloped. In 2008 or so, a deal was made to allow further development, but because of the public outcry, they have been able to hold most of the development to a minimum. Thus my comment that the hotels aren't much to look at. That's because they are so old-- but, affordable. I think eventually when the economy comes back, they will make it into another St Simon's. For now, it's a thing of glory. The beaches are not crowded and it's like a small town from another decade where everyone rides their bike to the local drugstore, ice cream shop, or the Sea Turtle Rescue Center. And because the hotels are straight out of the 70's and 80's, regular people can afford to vacation here. Great marine life and waves perfect for boogie boarding. It's just so pleasant! for now...

Margaret

We like the OBX because of the ferry to Ocracoke Island, the pirate museum about Blackbeard in one of the stores at Ocracoke; renting a house is not too costly for a week near Rodanthe; you can play in Pamlico Sound where the water is warmer and calmer than the ocean, there is a nice research aquarium nearby (forget the name); lighthouses to tour; the really nice NPS guy on Ocracoke who is from UP, Michigan; Ft. Raleigh National Historic Site.

I was going to suggest this also. Or Edisto. (in SC)