Menu

Geometry Question

I'm not sure, since we haven't used Saxon in years, either. What have you been using for Algebra? Although we didn't use Jacob's Geometry, that is an option. Dressler has one that we used along with LOF (mostly LOF), and there are other good ones out there, depending on what kind of learner your dd is, what her goals are academically, etc.

She is using LOF for Alg 2 now along with a tutor who is filling in some of the gaps that we see with LOF. She will go on to college but not sure what she wants to pursue yet so I want to keep her on a decent math track. She is in 9th grade. I am wondering about the saxon because we are using Seton this year and that is the math they use. Using the same course that is offered by seton would save me some $$ that's why I would consider it for geometry only. She would be able to get their support for the course and the materials are included in our enrollment cost. Just trying to decide if it would be worth it. Of course just the mention of saxon to her sends her off and running away! Ugh high school math and science are enough to send me running away!!!

She is using LOF for Alg 2 now along with a tutor who is filling in some of the gaps that we see with LOF. She will go on to college but not sure what she wants to pursue yet so I want to keep her on a decent math track. She is in 9th grade. I am wondering about the saxon because we are using Seton this year and that is the math they use. Using the same course that is offered by seton would save me some $$ that's why I would consider it for geometry only. She would be able to get their support for the course and the materials are included in our enrollment cost. Just trying to decide if it would be worth it. Of course just the mention of saxon to her sends her off and running away! Ugh high school math and science are enough to send me running away!!!

LOF is definitely not for every student, and some of what seems to be missing is covered later in Trig (some Algebra 2 programs include some trig), etc.

I'm not sure about Saxon, but the 1973 Dressler was recommended to me by Jane in NC, who knows a great deal about math (has a degree in it). It turns out that there is a newer one with a TE or TM as well. Jann in TX, who teaches math online, used to use Saxon, but now uses Holt Geometry (Lial's for Algebra). http://myhomeschoolmathclass.com/courses-offered.html

You may want to ask your question again and label the thread Saxon Geometry to see if you can get more feedback about that specifically if it can save you that much money. Plus you may be able to keep working with that tutor if need be.

We are using the Saxon Geometry. This is my second time thru it as we used it for DS16. It reads more like a ps text book than the traditional Saxon books (which we have also used). All in all, I would say it's a good Geometry book - very thorough and covers all the concepts. What particularily worked for us is the step-by-step way it builds up to the logic and the proofs across several lessons. By the time the student is writing two column and paragraph proofs, it's just a matter of putting together the pieces they have already learned.

It still uses the Saxon new-review-review approach, so in any lesson, you have the lesson practice, then 4-5 new problems and 20-25 problems from earlier lessons. It's pretty important not to skip problems.

You can definitely use it stand-alone without any other Saxon books, but must have a solid algebra footing in order to use it.

The reason why we don't use saxon is all the review and repititive questions for each lesson and it moves so slowly. My daughter just gets math and doesn't need to keep doing the same thing over and over. I guess I'll have to try to find someone local that has the book so I can look at it...

If it's really important not to skip any problems then this is definitely not the math for us!

Yes we are considering staying with LOF for geometry. She likes it. It's just that I can get Saxon free and with support with our enrollment... so I was thinking that I have one year when I can use their math and that would be for geometry...

LOF (advanced Algebra) is going well, she has just needed some extra help with some of the concepts this year so I've had to hire a tutor and he is expensive (but worth it). I really don't want to keep going that way for next year with geometry if LOF doesn't have enough explanations...

She's going to finish up alg 2 probably some time in Feb and I'm trying to decide what to do...

I will say it has been a huge relief to have her dealing with someone else (not me!!!) for math! I like math - she doesn't...