Menu

All About Spelling or Rod & Staff?

melissamomof5

I know they are so totally different.

My girls are 6, 8, and 9 1/2. All good readers, especially my 6 year-old. Writing & Spelling - Not So Much! :001_huh:

I have used R&S2 with my older two girls over the past couple years, but I don't think they're all too excited about the workbook approach.

There's just such a price difference between them.

we did AAS first and then both kids jumped in to R&S spelling this year at level 6. We love R&S though and while it would have been easy I think level 5 would have been beneficial enough. Oh well. AAS goes quickly enough....we always did more than one level a year...so you could do the way we did. If you don't like the workbook approach...not sure what to tell you. For us, we did the hands on thing first, now the workbook approach. I like the activities and how it makes you think about the words/sounds in R&S and it was perfect next step after AAS.

I had great luck with AAS, but I confess I am not passionate about spelling around here, nor do I give it a ton of time.

I think it comes down to if you want something workbooky and less parent involvement or more time from you and less workbooky.

AAS for sure. My dd8 is a wonderful, self-taught reader but list style spelling was useless for her because she would get all the words right after the first day. Unfortunately she couldn't spell any she hadn't learned yet. We started from scratch this year. We originally bought spelling workout d and rod and staff 3, and neither is as comprehensive as AAS. We are loving it and seeing great results.

My DS11 has always used R&S for spelling and is in their 7th grade book this year. My DD came along and I broke out my trusted R&S 2nd grade and ended up in tears (me, not my daughter). She just didn't get it. We switched to AAS and have had amazing results. Will I ever go back to R&S.... maybe after we use all the levels of AAS, we will start in the 6th grade book. DS6 is along for the ride. He would have been fine with R&S, but it is easier for me to keep him with DD8. A word of caution, it takes more time than R&S, but if you were to try to convert R&S into a multi-sensory approach it would also take the time. DS11 did a Spelling Rules class at our co-op last year and aced it, but commented that he didn't learn those rules with R&S. He is just a natural speller.

R&S basically teaches the same stuff as AAS once you get to around level 4 in R&S. We're still in 3, but even then, it is having the child work with the words and notice the specific spelling of each word.

I used AAS levels 1-3, then went to R&S 3. AAS is good if you have a child that needs a multi-sensory program. My oldest did not. He isn't a natural speller, but he is well read and just didn't have the phonics background to spell well. R&S is going great for him now. Kid #2 will have a more thorough phonics background from learning to read, so he'll probably do fine going right into R&S.

I like both, but I decided I hated teaching spelling, and if my kid doesn't NEED me to spend 15-20 minutes a day working with them on spelling, I'd rather not. So now spelling gets done via R&S, and my son's spelling is carrying over into his writing.

I went ahead an ordered Spelling by Sound & Structure because of the price difference. I figure if it doesn't work, then we'll lay down the money for AAS. I really liked AAS better, but it's a ton of money to pay to get started with two students who will fly through book 1 and into book 2. Like over $150! :001_huh:

I went ahead an ordered Spelling by Sound & Structure because of the price difference. I figure if it doesn't work, then we'll lay down the money for AAS. I really liked AAS better, but it's a ton of money to pay to get started with two students who will fly through book 1 and into book 2. Like over $150! :001_huh:

And you could buy everything you need to teach Spalding (the manual, WRTR, and the flash cards) for less than $50, and it's a one-time purchase (except for spelling notebooks for children 8yo and up, and those are around $3).

Spelling by Sound and Structure is my favorite *traditional* spelling, but Spalding holds my heart, lol. If you're leaning towards AAS, and it's only the cost that is holding you back, check out Spalding.

And you could buy everything you need to teach Spalding (the manual, WRTR, and the flash cards) for less than $50, and it's a one-time purchase (except for spelling notebooks for children 8yo and up, and those are around $3).

Spelling by Sound and Structure is my favorite *traditional* spelling, but Spalding holds my heart, lol. If you're leaning towards AAS, and it's only the cost that is holding you back, check out Spalding.

Thank you. I will check that out too. :)