Menu

Supplement for Teaching Textbooks

speedmom4

My boys are both doing TT for math and in general I am very happy with it. I like that they are able to do their work independently and are understanding the concepts. Because I also have two older children I have needed a math that is not teacher intensive. But I feel that TT may be a little behind other math programs. I have been toying with the idea of supplementing it. I just don't know if there is a better program to combine with TT.

The only program I have looked into is Math Mammoth. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Thanks,

Elise in NC

If you think it's behind, why not have them finish multiple lessons a day? My 2nd grade son is almost halfway through TT3. He enjoys it so much, and each lesson is just a small step from the one before...he would happily sit and work on Math half the day if I let him. As it stands, he usually finishes his maximum of three lessons (although there have been tired days where he only wants to finish one or two lessons).

Also, anything less than an 85% means redo with Mommy. We've only had to use the rule twice though.

Thanks for the reply!:001_smile:

My boys are in TT 7 and 6 so they are working at a level above grade level. At this stage my boys have a lot of other school work and their TT lessons aren't short. Also I don't want them working too far ahead because in high school that can get complicated. When looking at MM I noticed many other skills that TT hasn't gone over at their grade level.

Thanks,

Elise in NC

we use TT at grade level here. we don't accelerate the lessons or anything. i realize people consider it behind, but for my kids, it has been a perfect fit and any review of topics has been good for my children. to fill in any gaps, they play math games online at FCAT. it's what the PS students use here to prepare for standardized testing. it was free to join. maybe your state has something similar?

We are TT fans here, too. DS9 is working a grade level ahead with it, but mostly just b/c he is really good at math. DD11 was working on grade level until she went back to PS last month. In fact, when she went back to PS, she was not only moved up a grade level, but she was put in all advanced classes, too. I was a bit worried about how she'd do in math, but on her first report card, she has a 93. Yay, TT!

That said, I do supplement just a little bit, but mostly b/c DS always wants more math. I use Evan Moor's Daily Math and Daily Word problems (pretty quick and easy) and also Aha! Math, b/c DS loves it. We also use Life of Fred Fractions for our Friday fun math, and he does Timez Attack and Division Attack for facts practice. I know it sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. We don't do everything every day, and DS loves it all.

My ds is using TT7 and I supplement with the "Key to..." series. Right now, he is doing Key to Fractions. He'll eventually move on to decimals and percents. My ds does not like math at all and this combination has been rather painless for him. He does both mostly independently. He will ask for help if he gets stuck on something.

We are TT fans here, too. DS9 is working a grade level ahead with it, but mostly just b/c he is really good at math. DD11 was working on grade level until she went back to PS last month. In fact, when she went back to PS, she was not only moved up a grade level, but she was put in all advanced classes, too. I was a bit worried about how she'd do in math, but on her first report card, she has a 93. Yay, TT!

That said, I do supplement just a little bit, but mostly b/c DS always wants more math. I use Evan Moor's Daily Math and Daily Word problems (pretty quick and easy) and also Aha! Math, b/c DS loves it. We also use Life of Fred Fractions for our Friday fun math, and he does Timez Attack and Division Attack for facts practice. I know it sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. We don't do everything every day, and DS loves it all.

That is awesome how well your dd did transitioning to PS.

My sons both do Timez Attack as well to improve their time on multiplication and division.

I will have to look up the other resources you are using.

Thanks!

Elise in NC

:)

My ds is using TT7 and I supplement with the "Key to..." series. Right now, he is doing Key to Fractions. He'll eventually move on to decimals and percents. My ds does not like math at all and this combination has been rather painless for him. He does both mostly independently. He will ask for help if he gets stuck on something.

That's a great idea! I used the Keys To series with my girls when they were younger. My oldest ds has just run into a problem in TT 7. He is having a hard time with factoring and multiples. I noticed MM has a section in their workbooks for grade 5 or 6 about those topics. Do you know if the Keys To series has anything for multiples and factoring?

Thanks,

Elise in NC

:)

That's a great idea! I used the Keys To series with my girls when they were younger. My oldest ds has just run into a problem in TT 7. He is having a hard time with factoring and multiples. I noticed MM has a section in their workbooks for grade 5 or 6 about those topics. Do you know if the Keys To series has anything for multiples and factoring?

Thanks,

Elise in NC

I just looked through the Key to Fractions books and books 2 & 3 cover multiples and factoring.

I was wondering if I needed to supplement as well. We are using TT 3 right now, and my daughter finishes it in about 20 minutes and ALWAYS gets a 100. She understands it very well, as I go over what she learned and I usually have her "teach" it to me.

I think sometimes if they are not struggling in a subject, or if it seems "too easy" it makes us parents think we have to supplement. I keep hearing rave reviews of TT kiddo's doing very well on tests... So all that rambling to say that we should just leave it alone and allow math to be a pleasant subject... LOL I don't want to make my child hate math because I feel like I have to over supplement.

Just my 2 cents... speaking to the choir here!

My 5th grade son is working through TT5 (though slightly 'ahead' in the year). My 3rd grade son is working through the quizzes on TT4 and then will go on to TT5. My 1st grade son has been working through TT3 for the past year at a slower pace. They are all right where they need to be according to their individual needs.

If my boys only take a short amount of time to complete a lesson and consistently get high scores, I would want them to be more challenged in math. I think having kids do two lesons daily or having them just complete quizzes until they start missing problems and then have them start there with instruction are both great approaches.

We also supplement math simply because I want them to be able to think about math in different ways, fill in gaps, and spend more time on math instruction and application without getting bored. My boys LOVE Life of Fred. Dragon Box is a *fabulous* ipad app for learning how to solve algebraic equations without even realizing one is doing math! I really like The Critical Thinking Co.'s math workbooks such as Balance Math. My middle son is working on Beast Academy since TT doesn't take a full year and I don't want long gaps of time without math instruction (such as months over the summer). I also try to find various 'living' books that involve math such as Why Pi?, Mathematicians Are People, Too, and Exploring the World of Mathematics by Tiner.