Menu

If you do exercise DVDs at home...what is your favorite???

Hello! I currently workout 5 days/week...45 minutes of aerobics using the stair climber or elliptical trainer or incline walking and I do 20-30 minutes of weights. I am also 37 weeks pregnant. After having the baby, I plan to take off two weeks (if the delivery is normal!). However, my newest little one cannot stay in the YMCA nursery until 8 weeks old. SO, that means I will need to work out at home for 6 weeks. What are your suggestions for a good workout DVD? I've heard great things about Jillian Micheals. I do currently own Insanity, but I'm not really wanting to do that program due to all the jumping involved since I'll be nursing and that would not be very fun..haha So, I prefer a DVD w/ a good mix of cardio/toning and not a lot of jumping. I don't mind squats or lunges. And, I would like it to be pretty easy to follow.

Thank you for any suggestions!!!

I like Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30 DVD. I have also done the 30-Day Shred. You can find the full versions of all 3 levels for the 30-Day Shred on YouTube. :)

I have not tried too many different workouts, but I'm very interested in any HIIT workout, so I'll be watching to see what others say!

I started doing a yoga DVD at home to introduce stretching. I love it. (and I've since tried many yoga DVD's.)

Suzanne Deason's yoga conditioning for weightloss is actually very good instruction and show the modifications at a pace that was slow enough I could keep up. I breath better, my abdominals thanked me as it strengthens the deep core without killing me.

I started with Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred several years ago. There is a bit of jumping, but it wasn't too bad. However, I had not been an exerciser at all, and I truly appreciated being able to have the mindset that, "I can do anything for 30 days." This was what got me exercising.

I don't care for cardio/jumpy stuff at all.

My three favorite DVDs for all over body conditioning are:

Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones

Jackie Warner's Power Circuit Training

Brazil Butt Lift's (a Beachbody program) Sculpt

Others I use are:

Brazil Butt Lift - High & Tight and Bum Bum

Bob Harper's Yoga Abs (on the Yoga for the Warrior DVD another poster mentioned)

I had to work my way up to No More Trouble Zones after the 30-day Shred. However, it's easy to do. She does each circuit twice so I just started out doing each circuit once (except for the last one because she does one leg/side at a time, so you have to do the whole thing). I sometimes still only go through each circuit once if I am short on time. Then I just started doubling up one circuit at a time building my endurance. I also started with 3-lb weights and now use (mostly) 8-lb weights. Again, building my way up on each circuit. I can only use 5-lbs on the first circuit. If I could only buy one exercise DVD this would be it.

Jackie Warner's Power Circuit Training is a great one. You can do one segment or all three. One focuses on legs, one on upper body, and one on abs.

I purchased Brazil Butt Lift because my booty is pretty saggy. :D I don't use all the DVDs however, but I do use Sculpt weekly (which is allover body workout), High&Tight (uses weights and resistance bands - legs and butt focus), and Bum Bum (sort of aerobic, but not *too* bad).

My weekly routine is usually (though sometimes the order changes):

Monday - Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones (about 50 minutes)

Tuesday - Brazil Butt Lift - Hight & Tight and Bum Bum (about 50 minutes)

Wednesday - Jackie Warner's Power Circuit Training (about 40 minutes)

Thursday - Brazil Butt Lift - High & Tight and Bob Harper's Yoga Abs (about 40 minutes)

Friday - Brazil Butt Lift - Sculpt (about 40 minutes)

I realize some people need more variety, but this is the groove that works best for me. I also like that everything is less than an hour.

Good luck!

I have Jillian Micheals Shred it with Weights

No More Trouble Zones

and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism

I cannot do high impact, but these provide a good workout without high impact. If there is jumping I modify slightly. Mostly she doesn't have jumping.

Recently, after seeing all the beachbody discussions here I got a Hip Hop Abs set used off ebay. So far I like Shaun T. I've done 4 videos and have a few other to try (the person sold me sets 1 and 2, plus hips, buns and thighs so I've got a few workouts). It is a good workout without impact. I'm not sure I'd do it postpartum, since abdominal recovery is an issue. It's been 11 years since I had a baby so I don't remember what the restrictions are.

I like Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30 DVD. I have also done the 30-Day Shred. You can find the full versions of all 3 levels for the 30-Day Shred on YouTube. :)

I have not tried too many different workouts, but I'm very interested in any HIIT workout, so I'll be watching to see what others say!

Turbo Fire is an HIIT workout!

Netflix has quite a few. You could try them out before you buy that way.

They used to have tons on instant streaming, but they were all removed a couple months ago. I used to do most of my workouts from there. I called customer service back then and this past week and they said they were still in negotiations with the company that provides them. You could probably still get DVD workouts from them though.

Erica in OR

My ones that I've loved

Beginner Turbo Jam (don't do this anymore since I'm a advance exerciser but keeping it in case I ever have to start over)

Intermediate Charlean Extreme (the weight workouts give great definition and the cardio is good but not fun IMO)

Intermediate Jillian Michaels Know More Trouble Zone great workout no fun factor

Advance Turbo Fire (totally fun)

Advance Cathe Friedrich (I love her step and weight workouts) I don't have any of her newer stuff. I get a super workout and a fun factor.

I guess some folk don't have the same workout personality. My DH loves the p90X. It was the most boring workout ever IMO

My current routine.

M full body heavy weight training (Cathe Muscle Max)

T HITT 20 or HITT 25 (Turbo Fire)

W full body circuit training (Cathe High Step Challenge)

TH I choose a long Turbo Fire workout or a Cathe Step routine

Fri full body circuit (Cathe Low Impact Circuit)

Sat I do a stretch, yoga or Pilate's routine. I don't have a fav to recommend. I'm still looking for the perfect fit for me

I do change out rotation every month