Menu

Advice Needed in Choosing a Curriculum

mesiegler

Hi - My name is Mary Ellen. I will be a new homeschooler this fall. I have been doing tons of reading and research regarding curriculum/educational philosophies, etc. My husband and I have decided that we definitely want to do the Charlotte Mason method. I have looked at Ambleside Online, Sonlight, Heart of Dakota, My Father's World, Simply Charlotte Mason, and Winter's Promise. This will be my first year homeschooling (one second grader, one kindergartner, and one preschooler) and I want to find a curriculum that is Charlotte Mason friendly that is already planned out for me. Since I am new to homeschooling I don't want to "bite off more than I can chew" for the first year. I'm trying to keep it simple and ease into it...that's why a "boxed" curriculum appeals to me for now.

I am currently leaning toward Heart of Dakota and My Father's World. Can anyone give some advice on these two curriculums? Pros and cons of each?

Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the choices!

Thanks!

Blessings...Mary Ellen:001_smile:

we used Adventures in My Father's World this year with my 2nd grade twins and enjoyed it. Using the book basket is what fleshes out the program, so you will need to make good use of your local library. My only problem was getting the library books back on time :D

Best wishes on your first school year at home!

Hi Mary Ellen.

I just went through all the research this year, too. I actually decided on Ambleside. When I compared the reading lists and looked through Ambleside's 12-year plan, I just couldn't find anything I liked better. I was quite skeptical at first because it is free, but after I read through a number of the selections online, I just fell in love with it. I am thinking it will actually be fairly easy to implement. Ambleside has a great Yahoo support group, and they also have a syllabus with the readings broken into a weekly schedule. Their recommendation is to start slowly with just the basics and then add to it as you feel comfortable. In my opinion, CM is more about a lifestyle of learning, not just "doing school."

My daughter is 6 this year. We will be adding Singapore Math and Rod & Staff reading (which Ambleside does direct you to add your own programs for these subjects).

Good luck in making your decision. I hope you have a great experience, whatever you decide.

Suzanne.

You might want to start a thread with Heart of Dakota vs. My Father's World in the title and include your children's ages. You will probably get more helpful responses that way.

I used MFW K and it is a great program, but my little girl was way beyond it at 5 yrs old. It would have been great at 4. I can give more details if you are looking at K. I have not used any other MFW programs or Heart of Dakota, so that is all I have.