Menu

Skinny jeans... how old is too old?

I have a couple of pairs that I got at Aeropostale but every time I wear them I wonder if I look like I'm trying to be young. I'm 37. I'm 5'4", 117 lbs, wear a size 1/2 or 3/4 jean at Aeropostale. I think they look okay but... IDK, I just wonder if they're appropriate for a mom. I mean, I'm not overweight and I have very slim hips/thighs -- but I do have a tummy pooch, some wrinkles, am not very toned, etc. What says the Hive? Be ruthlessly honest.

Well, I'm 48 and I still wear them :001_smile:. I'm 5' 8", slim and wear 2-3" heels with them, I also tend to wear them with quite long tops, jerseys, etc, so they almost look like leggings. Maybe I look ridiculous in them, but I feel comfortable and happy, and don't really care :tongue_smilie:. Age can be liberating :D.

I think as long as they fit your body and your top is appropriate and not too sexy, they're fine.

5'10, 155 lb, 45 y/o - wear them occasionally for date night or dinner, etc. DH says I rock it, so who else cares??? :001_smile: I don't wear too sexy of a top though, I think that sends it a little overboard.

I think as long as they fit, look good and you like the there is no "age limit". I'm wearing black "jeggings" with a hip length, brown and black lightweight sweater and knee high brown flat boots today. I like it.

I'm about 5'4" and 105lbs. I'm also 40 and happy to have reached "none of your business" on what someone else thinks I should or should not wear. ;)

Skinny jeans are great. Just make sure to wear a looser top. Maybe consider wearing a longer top, too. Skinny jeans and tunics are a great combination.

Conversely, if you wear a tighter top, wear looser pants.

When skinny jeans look bad on the over 35 crowd: when pairing them with a tighter or shorter top.

Skinny jeans are great. Just make sure to wear a looser top. Maybe consider wearing a longer top, too. Skinny jeans and tunics are a great combination.

When skinny jeans look bad on the over 35 crowd: when pairing them with a tighter or shorter top.

:iagree: with all :)

i personally don't think skinny jeans are for the young(er) only. you can sport a pair in a very stylish & age appropriate way! i'm 41 & i would totally wear them if i could. they just don't make me look skinny, lol. boot cut jeans are my friend. anyway, i say wear them! i would love to put a pair on with some ballet flats, a cute sweater, and a funky scarf!

I am 46 and just bought two pairs! In my defense, I bought mine from a grown up brand. Haha!

I like the new tall boots, and you have to have this type of jean to tuck into them. I wore them to dinner last night and to church today. Hubby likes them and I feel fairly fashionable too. =)

I am 46 and just bought two pairs! In my defense, I bought mine from a grown up brand. Haha!

Maybe that's part of why I feel like I'm pretending to be a teen. I don't know if you can tell if they're Aeropostale or not but *I* know it and so I feel sort of funny. What are good grown-up brands???

[quote=Lisa R.;4476229

Okay, this might be my problem. I am short waisted with a big chest. I tend to buy tops that hit between my waist and hips. Maybe I need to move more in the tunic direction...

I'm 39 and have been wearing skinny jeans for 2 years. DH says I look great in them. I'm also 5’6", 110 pounds. I will wear them with ballet shoes or short boots, depending on the weather.

It's best to wear a looser top, if you think you have a slight muffin top. Even if you don't, it still looks better with this combo for women of a certain age.

I'm 47 and my older girls ages 23 and 21 have told me to ask for some for Chirstmas. I asked of I was too old and they both said NO. So I'm guessing if my girls are telling me I should get some then it would be fine. I'm 5'4" and 125 lbs. Hope that helps. I wouldn't wear them unless I had a shirt that covered my behind though. You are more than fine wearing them.

I don't think there is an age limit. I was thinking about this yesterday while I was shopping. I saw 2 women in the 35-45 range wearing skinny jeans and high boots. One rocked it; she looked amazing. The other one didn't pull it off so well. She was very slim, and her butt looked like it belonged on someone 30 years older than her. It is all about the fit.

Yes, this! Now I need to go out and get a pair for myself and dig out those sweet boots I have! ;)

I am 45 and all I wear are skinny jeans. (I will never, ever wear MOM jeans, shudder).

I get mine from Hollister, or Guess. (When they have a good sale)

I got a really cool pair of Levi skinny jeans that I love. They are stretchy and soooo comfortable.

I also will not shop in any "old lady" stores. I shop in all the Junior Depts at Forever 21, Hollister,Kohls, American Eagle, Macy's, Aero and will also shop in the Junior dept at Walmart.

I don't care for clothes at target.

I won't buy and bras unless they are from Victorias Secret. Yes, they are expensive. But I just bought another black bra for the first time in 5 years. They last. You get what you pay for.

The first time I wore them I was wearing a new jacket and I was at the Wed afternoon hang out for high schoolers at church. One of the leaders told dh, "I saw someone from the back and I thought , 'oh a new girl,' but when she walked by I saw it was your wife!" That was the best compliment EVER, and worth wearing skinny jeans for. BTW, that leader's wife wears skinny jeans now.

We are very similar in stats. I'm 30 though. I'm 5'2" and 118lbs. I too am in sizes 1/2 or 3/4 depending on brand. I wear colored skinny jeans with my heels! I don't think they are inappropriate. I personally love seeing ladies in them because to me it's a flag they have some sense of fashion. :lol: If I was 60 and they were still in fashion I'd be wearing them! Just because I turn a certain number doesn't mean I can't still enjoy the fashion of today's world. :)

BTW. I LOOOOOVE fashion! :tongue_smilie:My favorite go to shops are forever 21, express, belk, A&F & outlet stores.

I don't think there is an age limit. I was thinking about this yesterday while I was shopping. I saw 2 women in the 35-45 range wearing skinny jeans and high boots. One rocked it; she looked amazing. The other one didn't pull it off so well. She was very slim, and her butt looked like it belonged on someone 30 years older than her. It is all about the fit.

Uh oh. Please explain the butt part... I'm nervous I might have an old lady butt. It is flat and decidedly unperky. Are you saying this can be remedied by the right pair of jeans?

Uh oh. Please explain the butt part... I'm nervous I might have an old lady butt. It is flat and decidedly unperky. Are you saying this can be remedied by the right pair of jeans?

I have no idea if it can be remedied, I am (ahem) "blessed" with a fairly round one.:tongue_smilie:I would think it could be though. They make jeans for every body shape imaginable. Her jeans hung on her butt to the point that they folded down at the top of her thighs. It created the impression that her hiney itself actually folded down on to her thighs. She looked far too young to actually have that be the case.

BTW, I'm 32 and have never tried on a pair of skinny jeans. I'm gonna give them a whirl next shopping trip.

I'm wearing them right now. I'm your height and size, and a few years older. I did have to get past the feeling that I was wearing my old 'pegged' jeans from the 80's, but they look great. Mine were a bargain . . . I got the Target brand . . . the cut that goes over a ghetto booty. I've been wearing them with long sweaters and boots. Today I wore them with moccasins.

I've seen older women dressing like teenagers, but skinny jeans don't seem to belong in one age category. They seem to work for everyone. I mean, we're really only talking about a difference down at the hem.

I'm in my 20's and feel I'm too old for them but I'm not 117 pounds, maybe if I was I would feel differently....

FWIW, our kids aren't allowed to wear them. I feel they're a bit too, um, form fitting to be modest (and we're not people who would call ourselves modest dressers.

Maybe I have the wrong kind or something, but I think they fit just like regular jeans, (which I consider modest). The only difference is that they're more form fitting from the knee down. I tend to wear jeans that fit, so I'm not laying down or squeezing in to put them on, but they're not baggy either.

I don't think there is an age-related glass ceiling. I am overweight and shaped like an apple, but I am currently rocking a pair of skinnies with metallic ballet flats, a long camisole, and a fitted jacket. It's about attitude ;)

What brand fits your apple shape? I'm 4'11" and an overweight apple (140lbs). I haven't found a pair that remotely looks good with my short, chunky frame. It sounds like all of you that are wearing them are on the thinner side. That makes the skinnies easier to wear.

Age doesn't matter. I have seen some women in their 60s pulling off some tight skinny jeans. What you don't want is to look like an ice cream cone where you have super skin tight jeans on and enough body and flab hanging over all around the skinny jeans that you look like and ice cream cone! And I have seen teenagers that look this way.. and someone should tell them to find pants that FIT!

If they fit; go for it. For what its worth, I am 30 and wear them.

I have a couple of pairs that I got at Aeropostale but every time I wear them I wonder if I look like I'm trying to be young. I'm 37. I'm 5'4", 117 lbs, wear a size 1/2 or 3/4 jean at Aeropostale. I think they look okay but... IDK, I just wonder if they're appropriate for a mom. I mean, I'm not overweight and I have very slim hips/thighs -- but I do have a tummy pooch, some wrinkles, am not very toned, etc. What says the Hive? Be ruthlessly honest.

I'm envious, being a few years/pounds away from skinny jeans.

You rock those jeans, if you can! Why not? There is no age limit, only a weight limit before it doesn't really look good, and looks like you are wearing painted on tights! If they look good, and you are wearing an appropriate top that doesn't look like you are bursting out over the jeans (we've all seen that!), then go for it.

Besides, you are only 37. I looked 25 and 37 and would have worn them (if they had been available at the time). 37 is young!

What brand fits your apple shape? I'm 4'11" and an overweight apple (140lbs). I haven't found a pair that remotely looks good with my short, chunky frame. It sounds like all of you that are wearing them are on the thinner side. That makes the skinnies easier to wear.

I have a pair from Express that I LOVE LOVE LOVE. They are a thinner denim and very forgiving. Then I have another pair that I also love, which is Denizen by Target. They have a nice amount of stretch without stretching out after two hours, if you know what I mean! They were also only $27.99 which I was super happy with.

I am 5'5" though. At 4'11" you will obviously need petite, but even then you may need to consider having them altered to a shorter length. It is fine to have a small amount of scrunching by the ankle, but not layers and layers of scrunched and bunched material.

I'm 35, 5'2", 200lbs. I just bought 2 pairs *grimace* because the sales person told me they pick my booty up. I always tried to avoid this because of the ice cream cone look they talk about on what not to wear. But I actually received a complement when wearing them, so maybe it's not as bad as I think it is.... or the person was being nice and didn't know what else to say...