Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - Week 46

There is a pocket in the back for the old fashioned date due card with a note that a fine of two cents per day shall be charged for over due books. Ah, a well loved and well thumbed book...

Everyone should periodically borrow oldies but goodies from the library to keep classics in circulation lest they be tossed. I try to do my part!

Cheers!

Jane

The copy of Clouds of Witness I have out from my library right now is like that ... except we don't have late fines :D

Our charter counselor was over today for our monthly check in. He and his wife (having not read the book) rented Atlas Shrugged off netflix because he likes trains. I guess most of the story took place on a train? He said he was miffed when got to the end of the movie and it said end of part I and couldn't find part 2. Then found Atlas Shrugged Part 2 was out in theaters and who knows when the 3rd part will be out. He thinks their done. It was interesting but not that interesting.

So, here we are, awash with all this white (and I already have my screen turned darker than most people) back together. Now I have to see if there has been a new Book a Week thread posted or not as I'm still trying to figure out this new forum.

Me too. I'm happy we're back. And I would be shocked if Robin hasn't already started a new thread but I can't find it yet.

I am just jumping into this group now, and will be up for challenging myself to read a book a week in 2013!

This past week, I finished Golden Days by Carolyn See. I was so unsure of this book when I began reading it -- the characters were shallow and the Los Angeles scene of the 80s foreign to me. The prose was sometimes frustrating. But then the world ended (in the book, literally) and the author unflinchingly describes the survival of a group of people in a new world. And somewhere along the way, I found myself being deeply moved. A haunting, and hopeful, book.

I also read Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple. An irreverent, creative, sometimes funny, quick read.

I just started Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese and I am hooked!