Menu

Anyone here do AAS w/o the spelling tiles??

Johanna

I noticed you didn't have a reply so I just thought I'd answer to bump up your question.

I think one of the best things about AAS is the letter tiles. But I'm sure if you really don't want to use them you could just have your child do more writing when it comes time to do the spelling list. However, they are also needed for when you are showing your dc how to build a word. I'm not sure how you would do that w/o them. For example, when you're teaching whether to begin a word with a C or a K, the lesson guide will have you put out the tiles spelling out words and leave out the C or the K and your child will have to use the spelling rule (C says /s/ before what three letters? e, i, or y) to figure out which letter to use. Also, in the earlier lessons, the student will say the phonetic sound of a letter as he/she pulls down each tile and builds the word/s. Although, I guess you could just write all the examples on paper or a white board and let your child write on the paper or white board. And as for sounding out each letter, perhaps you could have your child say the sound as he/she points to the letter or as he writes it.

Just my 2 cents!

Blessings,

It's funny that you posted. I had the exact same question yesterday. I e-mailed Marie, the author, and she said you could easily do it without them. Just use a whiteboard. My dd is one that doesn't like AAS because she can't stand using the tiles. She just wants to write the word, study it, and be done. We use SWR but have gone back and forth with AAS. I love the way AAS breaks it all down for you. I just can't figure out a way to blend the scripted speach with a lesson. Does that make sense? I feel like I start and stop too much trying to read what to say next. That plus making dd using the tiles was a nightmare. I thought of giving it another go without the tiles but I have not decided.

Sandy

We use the tiles to build the words when we introduce the lesson. I think it's a good way to 'see' the phonograms as one entity. However, it does seem to take longer. But, it adds variety to the lessons. My youngest doesn't love the tiles as much as my older dd, so she uses the dry erase board more.

This is my first post on the new forums.

We only use the letter tiles when I feel it's absolutely necessary. I go through the lessons at the beginning of the level and mark which lessons need tiles and which tiles I will be needing. This saves a lot of time, because we don't have to go through and lay every tile out, just the certain ones we need. It usually ends up being about 10 tiles for each lesson.

On the other lessons we utilize the white board as someone else said.

We are really loving this program.

Julie