Menu

Bernese Mt Dog or Newfoundland? Help me choose . . .

We have been researching dogs this past year as we prepare to bring a new dog into our home. Our beloved lab is approaching 9 and we really want another dog. We always assumed we'd get another lab, but in researching different breeds, I am very drawn to the larger breeds. My two top runners are Newfoundlands and Bernese Mt Dogs.

Yes, I know newfs are slobbery, messy and hairy. I don't mind that, but the temperment is wonderful and what I want for our family.

I also love the beauty and disposition of the Bernese Mt Dog, but am concerned with it's short life expectency.

Anyone with experience with these two breeds, can you share your thoughts? Thanks!!

Beck

You should buy one of each and send me your reject.

Glad I could help.

Terri

P.s. I grew up with Newfies, and there's just not a breed with a sweeter personality. Our Newfies were all model citizens. They are protective but smart enough not to let that get them into trouble.

We have a Bernese mountain dog and have had one before her. They are lovely dogs. Regal, loyal, beautiful. They don't slobber and are fairly low maintenance but they do have some quirkiness to them. Like they can be loyal to a fault. . If I'm around my berner only responds to me :). They always have to hug you and yes this is different than jumping up on you. My berner hugs each and every time I come through the door even if I've been gone ten minutes.

They sit on your feet :).

We lost one at the age of five to cancer. Our Current berner just had her eighth birthday and is going strong

Their beauty draws attention. They have a sweet disposition (ours borders on being a bit of a chicken but that only means she runs to me for protection). I always laugh because they are so big people can be scared of her but they should be more scared of our little lap dog. Oh yeah, she thinks she is a lap dog.

Our berner is small weighing 85 pounds at her peak. My sisters has had two berners both in the 110 pound range.

I'm happy to answer any questions that you may have.

We have been researching dogs this past year as we prepare to bring a new dog into our home. Our beloved lab is approaching 9 and we really want another dog. We always assumed we'd get another lab, but in researching different breeds, I am very drawn to the larger breeds. My two top runners are Newfoundlands and Bernese Mt Dogs.

Yes, I know newfs are slobbery, messy and hairy. I don't mind that, but the temperment is wonderful and what I want for our family.

I also love the beauty and disposition of the Bernese Mt Dog, but am concerned with it's short life expectency.

Anyone with experience with these two breeds, can you share your thoughts? Thanks!!

Beck

These are both working breeds. If you haven't already, do some homework on the level of activity and interaction that working dogs need in order to be mentally, physically and behaviourally healthy. A working dog kept without attention to those needs is a recipe for disaster, IMSO. Also, these are both heavy coated breeds. I don't know where you live, but carefully consider your climate before deciding on either of these (or any dog for that matter).

I :001_wub: Newfies, but I can't tolerate drool. We bought a Leonberger, because it was the closest thing to a Newfie that doesn't drool. She was a fantastic dog, but unfortunately, she didn't live long.

I'd go for a Newfie if you really don't mind the slobber.

I :001_wub: Newfies, but I can't tolerate drool. We bought a Leonberger, because it was the closest thing to a Newfie that doesn't drool. She was a fantastic dog, but unfortunately, she didn't live long.

I'd go for a Newfie if you really don't mind the slobber.

Aww, how sad. We also looked at Leonbergers. What a magnificent breed. Hard to find a reputable breeder around here, though.

beck

I'm envious of the decision you are making. I wanted a Newfie with all my heart. My dh brought home a chihuahua :glare:

:smilielol5: I'm sorry but that is so funny. I'm sure your chihuahua is a nice dog. :)

We have pet rats and a lab. (You need that info for this story) One day we came across a woman with a tiny chihuahua. This dog could sit in her one hand. It also had big ears that stick up. My 3 yr old went right up to the dog and said to the lady, "I like your rat." :lol: When I told him it was a dog he laughed and said, "No, Mommy. Doggies big."

These are both working breeds. If you haven't already, do some homework on the level of activity and interaction that working dogs need in order to be mentally, physically and behaviourally healthy. A working dog kept without attention to those needs is a recipe for disaster, IMSO. Also, these are both heavy coated breeds. I don't know where you live, but carefully consider your climate before deciding on either of these (or any dog for that matter).

Our Berners really do like colder climates. They come alive in winter. :). They melt in the summer (and we don't have hot summers).

Our Newfie mix was wonderful. She had a fabulous disposition. The family we got her from (they were moving to South America and couldn't take her) called her Baby and that's what she was. She could easily be bossed around by my youngest who was 3yo at the time.

Ours didn't slobber, but she was probably close to half Labrador as well. She topped out at 125 pounds. She was about 150 when we got her, but she was overweight then.

We got our BMD six months before we had our first baby. She was a lovely girl in many ways and very gentle. She was very good with the children, although she was never a children's dog in that she never really bonded with them, and never really played with them. She did drool, not as much as a newfie would, but quite a lot. She died aged 11 yo, a good age for a BMD, but had suffered from stomach cancer for a good year before she died. Although I loved her, and sobbed for a week after she died, I would never have another BMD. I found the size of her, combined with her stubbornness, very hard work at times. They are beautiful dogs, but need to be really loved by their owners, they bond very closely to their owners, often to just one person.