Menu

If you eat Paleo / Low Carb, what do you eat with soup?

Paleo is dairy free (among other things), so anything with cream cheese won't work. The rest of my family will eat bread since I'm the only one that's paleo, but I really miss bread with soup. :001_smile:

I'm doing Whole 30, and after only a week, if I cheat I feel sick. Guess I have more food sensitivities than I thought.

Paleo is dairy free (among other things), so anything with cream cheese won't work. The rest of my family will eat bread since I'm the only one that's paleo, but I really miss bread with soup. :001_smile:

I'm doing Whole 30, and after only a week, if I cheat I feel sick. Guess I have more food sensitivities than I thought.

Salty rice?

You're right. Paleo has started to emcompass so many things. I have friends who say they are Paleo plus dairy, so I sometimes forget that strict paleo does not include dairy. I was focused more on the low carb part. Sorry.

:) Beachy

:grouphug:

I am doing a modified whole30 right now ( I kept almonds and walnuts in my diet...but am following every other rec. I will follow this up with another whole30 without nuts right after Christmas. )

I usually make cabbage noodles for my soup....just slice and steam and add to my soup to make it more filling and feel more substantial.

You can also use riced cauliflower instead of any kind of grain rice.

I try not to use replacement foods...because I am also trying to get past certain food addictions....as well as food sensitivities.

Are you also crossfit?

More soup!

I give the bread eaters bread though.

A second bowl of soup is what I did. The soup had beef, onion, garlic, kale, tatsoi, sweet potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, and rutabaga in it, so it was really complete by itself. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out any way to give it enough beef flavor without bouillon, so it had MSG in it. I have to find a substitute for that. I was going to buy some canned beef broth last week, but it had some ingredients I didn't want.

Thanks for all the ideas.

A second bowl of soup is what I did. The soup had beef, onion, garlic, kale, tatsoi, sweet potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, and rutabaga in it, so it was really complete by itself. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out any way to give it enough beef flavor without bouillon, so it had MSG in it. I have to find a substitute for that. I was going to buy some canned beef broth last week, but it had some ingredients I didn't want.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Buy some beef bones & make your own broth. I use our slow cooker for broth, so easy :)

Hearts of palm shredded in the food processor are a decent rice substitute in soup. I buy the big 2 jar pack at Costco.

This has dairy but uses the hearts of palm idea.

http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/2010/10/chicken-wild-rice-soup.html

I made these last night and they were good. I am excited to try other variations, like rosemary asiago, etc.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/786819-peppered-bacon-cheese-bread.html (I put the batter into muffin tins)

There are lots of biscuit type recipes that use coconut and/or almond flour out there. Check mariahealth, healthyindulgences, alldayidreamabout food blogs.

Buy some beef bones & make your own broth. I use our slow cooker for broth, so easy :)

Yeah, I told my dh last evening that I'm going to have to find a source for meatbones to make my own beef broth. :001_smile:

Momof3littles, I've never had heartsofpalm before. I'll try that.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm working on building a pantry with all the healthy substitutes. I have a vitamix, so I've made almond flour and I will look for a recipe to try coconut flour, if that's something I can make at home.

Edited by LizzyBee

I did Whole30 in October. I just ate more soup. :) There isn't a bread option on Whole30. Coconut flour is paleo, but it's not Whole30 approved (which is more strict). The point of Whole30 is to retrain your eating habits--to learn to eat soup without bread, for example. :)

I find broth without MSG and other additives at our local natural-minded grocery store. I haven't used MSG in years because my daughter is extremely sensitive to it. I discovered that I am as well, but I didn't know it until I switched for her.

Hearts of palm shredded in the food processor are a decent rice substitute in soup. I buy the big 2 jar pack at Costco.

This has dairy but uses the hearts of palm idea.

http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/2010/10/chicken-wild-rice-soup.html

I made these last night and they were good. I am excited to try other variations, like rosemary asiago, etc.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/786819-peppered-bacon-cheese-bread.html (I put the batter into muffin tins)

There are lots of biscuit type recipes that use coconut and/or almond flour out there. Check mariahealth, healthyindulgences, alldayidreamabout food blogs.

That bread looks fantastic. Thanks.:D

Yeah, I told my dh last evening that I'm going to have to find a source for meatbones to make my own beef broth. :001_smile:

Momof3littles, I've never had heartsofpalm before. I'll try that.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm working on building a pantry with all the healthy substitutes. I have a vitamix, so I've made almond flour and I will look for a recipe to try coconut flour, if that's something I can make at home.

I don't know about making coconut flour but I buy it out of the bulk bin at Whole Foods. It is pretty inexpensive for a low-carb flour.

I did Whole30 in October. I just ate more soup. :) There isn't a bread option on Whole30. Coconut flour is paleo, but it's not Whole30 approved (which is more strict). The point of Whole30 is to retrain your eating habits--to learn to eat soup without bread, for example. :)

I find broth without MSG and other additives at our local natural-minded grocery store. I haven't used MSG in years because my daughter is extremely sensitive to it. I discovered that I am as well, but I didn't know it until I switched for her.

I know that Whole30 is the reset, and no imitations of not-allowed foods are permitted. But after only a week of Whole30 and then cheating (and feeling half-sick), I know that I will continue eating paleo. Not just the 80% that is the goal after Whole30, but as close as possible to 100%. I don't feel that I need the re-set anymore because I am fully convinced that I want to stay on a paleo diet. Sleep issues, digestive issues, mental fog, no energy.... all of those things have pretty much removed my desire to eat foods that are not paleo-approved. :001_smile:

I will check other stores for healthy broth as well as making my own. I work long hours during tax season, so it would be great to find something in the store for those months, at least. I made a huge pot of soup yesterday, so if it was the MSG that made me feel foggy, I'm not sure what I will eat for lunches this week. I also ate homemade granola energy bars that had honey, oats, and chocolate chips in them, so it might have been the sugar.

Edited by LizzyBee

I don't know about making coconut flour but I buy it out of the bulk bin at Whole Foods. It is pretty inexpensive for a low-carb flour.

We have a Whole Foods here, but I've never shopped there. I work less than five minutes from Trader Joe's, so I'll see what they have, and then make a trip to Whole Foods if I can't find everything I want. We also have Fresh Market and Earth Fare in Raleigh. But I'm trying to make a lot of things at home to keep the cost down. Besides, I have to justify the cost of the vitamix. :D

We have a Whole Foods here, but I've never shopped there. I work less than five minutes from Trader Joe's, so I'll see what they have, and then make a trip to Whole Foods if I can't find everything I want. We also have Fresh Market and Earth Fare in Raleigh. But I'm trying to make a lot of things at home to keep the cost down. Besides, I have to justify the cost of the vitamix. :D

Ask the butcher at WF about bones. At ours, they wrap them and stick them in the freezer next to the butcher section. The selection varies quite a bit, so I always stop for a quick peak to see what's available and if it's something I like, I'll get extra to keep in the freezer. They usually have chicken backs (very cheap, perfect for soup) and marrow bones, sometimes lamb necks and other good soup bones as well. I have a couple of enameled cast iron dutch ovens, so first I throw the bones in those (lid off) at fairly high head (375-425) for an hour, then I add water to almost fill the pot along with a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, then put the lid on and leave for 8+ hours at 275. Then strain and put the broth into jars in the fridge. The fat will separate and solidify, so you can just scoop it off the top. These make for very nutritious and incredibly delicious soup bases.

Ask the butcher at WF about bones. At ours, they wrap them and stick them in the freezer next to the butcher section. The selection varies quite a bit, so I always stop for a quick peak to see what's available and if it's something I like, I'll get extra to keep in the freezer. They usually have chicken backs (very cheap, perfect for soup) and marrow bones, sometimes lamb necks and other good soup bones as well. I have a couple of enameled cast iron dutch ovens, so first I throw the bones in those (lid off) at fairly high head (375-425) for an hour, then I add water to almost fill the pot along with a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, then put the lid on and leave for 8+ hours at 275. Then strain and put the broth into jars in the fridge. The fat will separate and solidify, so you can just scoop it off the top. These make for very nutritious and incredibly delicious soup bases.

Sounds perfect, thanks.