Menu

Quality Brand Clothing for Full Figured Mamas?

I used to buy Elizabeth brand clothing because I just loved the quality. I'm not a terribly obese woman, but I have a full figure and like to wear separates that can be layered, and I like things that are made and fit really well. Elizabeth was all of that for me, and I would usually buy off season to save money. Another brand that I really loved was Silhouettes, which was mail order only and then available online. Their quality was always good and I loved the variety of styles they offered. Up until just a couple of years ago or so, most of my clothing was from these two places, plus some pieces I found through Penneys.

Unfortunately, Elizabeth Claiborne sold her company before she passed away and the current lines are no longer what they used to be. Silhouettes is also producing a much lower quality product, and that's when I can even find anything that they offer. They must have sold out too. So now I'm shopping here and there, trying to find the type of clothing I prefer and can afford. I've been losing weight and am trying to build up my professional wardrobe as I can afford to do it.

I've bought a couple of things from QVC (Denim & Co.) at the suggestion of a friend, and they're okay, but I really miss the quality of clothing I used to buy. I'd love to shop at Nordstrom's, but I just can't afford to anymore.

Any suggestions for me? Where do you shop?

Thanks for any tips you may have to offer.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I love the quality of Talbots women's clothing, but unfortunately, they're not cheap :( They do have a rewards program, though, and their sales are pretty good if you can catch them. Might be worth a look there. I've also had pretty good luck with Macy's women's clothing, but haven't been there recently.

That's all I got, though!

ETA: Actually, if you have a Coldwater Creek near you, you might look there too. I haven't bought anything from them, but their quality looks good, and they always have lots of sizes when I go in there. And Eddie Bauer just redesigned their jeans, so I'm looking forward to trying them. I love their basic tops, but the jeans were a horrible fit in recent years. Supposedly they've addressed that now.

I received a gift card for Lane Bryant last year. The jeans are still in one piece but the underwear fell apart.

I've had one or two pairs of jeans from there. I don't love the material they use for most of the jeans (feels more like rough polyester than cotton), but one or two fits are made of material that feels more like classic denim. Those have worn very well for me, and fit very well. My only complaint is that the length is a tad long for my short leg--I need a 30-31-inch inseam and cannot seem to find that anywhere in women's sizing.

Thanks, ladies. We have an outlet mall near the beach about an hour's drive from here that has a Coldwater Creek. I did buy an amazing sweater poncho there last year for a bargain price, but I didn't look extensively at their other clothes. I'll have to do that next time I'm there.

Although I do wear jeans, the clothes I need the most are for teaching at the private school where I work. I have to wear slacks or trousers instead of jeans, plus I need to look professional. I'm an art teacher, so that means I can be a bit more expressive if I want though. Love that part too. :)

smiley-chores043.gif

Blessings,

Lucinda

I love Chico's!

Their clothes are more expensive but they hold up so darn well. I stay with the more classic looks so I get many years worth of wearing.

Once you spend a certain amount of money with them (clearance items included), you become a Passport member and save even more. I always shop with a coupon - often $25 off $100 purchase or 50% highest price item.

I am clothing challenged and appreciate their sales help and the fact that their clothes mix and match nicely.

Thanks, ladies. We have an outlet mall near the beach about an hour's drive from here that has a Coldwater Creek. I did buy an amazing sweater poncho there last year for a bargain price, but I didn't look extensively at their other clothes. I'll have to do that next time I'm there.

Although I do wear jeans, the clothes I need the most are for teaching at the private school where I work. I have to wear slacks or trousers instead of jeans, plus I need to look professional. I'm an art teacher, so that means I can be a bit more expressive if I want though. Love that part too. :)

smiley-chores043.gif

Blessings,

Lucinda

I am a teacher, too. I teach in mostly J Jill, Chicos, and Coldwater Creek. I teach AP Calculus, but I dress like an art teacher.

I've known a few women who buy clothes at Chicos and they look classy and stylish.
Why thank you!

:smilielol5:

But I do feel dressier when I wear their clothes.

Someone mentioned on a fashion thread a while back about thinking of clothes as 'outfits' so you don't have to put too much thought into what you wear - put a full outfit together at the store, then wear it together. I loved that idea! I had a few things I put together this summer and always had favorable comments. I liked that I didn't have to think about what earrings to wear or what shoes go best.

Another thing about Chico's -

I don't know about other homeschool moms, but I like to wear things that are comfortable to the park but I won't be alarmed if I ran into the husband's boss at the grocery store on the way home. I think that look is harder to pull off for full figure women. Chico's seems to bridge that gap for me.

And - honestly - I don't work for the company!

I am in the plus sizes, and I have had great success with Lauren Ralph Lauren clothes in plus sizes and clothes from Eileen Fisher. Neither one of them is cheap, but they are widely available in department stores and hold up very well to hard living.

:iagree: with the Ralph Lauren recommendation. Look for sales. Well worth the wait and the money.