Menu

bath bombs and lavender eye pillows??

anyone have any great ideas/suggestions to make bath bombs? i've seen tutorials and they seem easy enough, but i usually have a hard time finding all the right supplies living here..

i know i can get sea salt rather than epsom salts. can i use those? the fine sea salt or coarse??

and for the lavender eye pillows? what can i use besides flax seeds? would it be ok to use rice and warm those up?? luckily i have dried lavender and even chamomile...

i'd appreciate any advice.

You can use sea salt, either kind works but the bigger size looks pretty in bathbombs.

You might even color the sea salt before adding it to emphasize. But, epsom salts can be found at drug stores. It should be cheaper than coarse sea salt but things are probably different there.

You can use rice, just make sure you have instructions written out for warming them.

I have no idea where one would find citric acid where you live. I buy it from beer/wine making supply shops but do they have those there? You can also find it at craft stores and often shops that carry herbs and natural remedies.

I use witchhazel in a spray bottle to dampen the mix so it can mix up better. Use the nicer kind not the scary green colored witchhazel. It is also nice to have around the house so not really a waste of money.

Edited by Sis

I made bath bombs last year... I think i used the recipe by Martha Stewart, and I *may* have needed to order some supplies (maybe citric acid? Something like that.) I'm fairly sure I used Epsom and Sea Salts.

The very best of the lot were the ones I used a "snowball maker" to mold. Don't ask me why we have a snowball maker. :tongue_smilie: I also made bath marbles using the little round plastic containers from a pack of Squinkies. Silly, but it worked.

Some of the bombs crumbled, and after remolding them to salvage some, I finally crushed up the leftovers and packaged it in pretty bags with "bath salt" labels.

The big hit here were the bath fizzies though. Those were on the Martha Stewart site as well, and they were perfect molded in those silicone ice cube trays. Much easier for me to manage.

apparently citric acid is readily available here...

i had forgotten about witchhazel..not really sure if i can find it here? haven't ever looked for some.

maybe i should make bath fizzies as a beginner?? do you have the links from the martha stewart site? i should dig around there...

thanks!

apparently citric acid is readily available here...

i had forgotten about witchhazel..not really sure if i can find it here? haven't ever looked for some.

maybe i should make bath fizzies as a beginner?? do you have the links from the martha stewart site? i should dig around there...

thanks!

Bath bombs are easy to make. You will find witch hazel by the alcohol and hydrogen peroxide at Wal-Mart, Target, Walgreens, anywhere like that.

This tutorial is pretty good:

http://indiainkelephant.wordpress.com/2010/12/19/diy-bath-bombs-nikkis-almost-idiot-proof-tutorial/

When I made them, I ordered oils from Brambleberry.

I didn't bother using the witch hazel to spritz them - I just used water and it worked fine.

I also made toilet-cleaning bombs with this recipe I made up:

1 c. baking soda, 1/2 c. washing soda, 1/2 c. citric acid, 1 1/2 tbsp. liquid dish detergent, and some essential oil for scent. Then I molded them with my tablespoon and spritzed them lightly with some water. Throw them in the toilet and watch them fizz! They only fizz a little, though - I want you to know this so you're not disappointed like I was. :(

Scrub - or not! - and flush when you think of it. YAY! Clean toilet! One batch made 30 fizzies, so plenty for at least a month or maybe even two.

Bath bombs are easy to make. You will find witch hazel by the alcohol and hydrogen peroxide at Wal-Mart, Target, Walgreens, anywhere like that.

This tutorial is pretty good:

http://indiainkelephant.wordpress.com/2010/12/19/diy-bath-bombs-nikkis-almost-idiot-proof-tutorial/

When I made them, I ordered oils from Brambleberry.

I like the tutorial. I'm going to try it.

"All you need are some basic household chemicals and a workspace that slightly resembles a meth lab and voila! Homemade bath products." :lol: