Menu

My son, the hero!

Yesterday DS7 and I stopped at one of those fast food places with the giant indoor play area while we were on our way to a class. We had some time to kill so I let him play for a bit. Naturally, with it being a school day, he was the oldest kid there and the rest ranged in age from about 2 to 4.

He was having a blast and I was only half paying attention while I read a book. The age of the rest of the kids meant a lot of noise and intermittent crying as young kids reached meltdown point, but nothing concerning. Suddenly, my son came running over, grabbed a handful of napkins off the table, and said, "we have an emergency mom." The he was climbing back to the top of the structure as fast as he could.

I put down my book and walked over to the play place. I could hear my son talking in one of the closed-in plastic rooms and a little girl crying. The little girl's mom came running over yelling, "Are you Ok, S.? Answer Mommy!" Where the kids were at would be difficult for one of us adults to reach them.

My son pokes his head where we can see him. "She has a bloody nose, but it's almost stopped bleeding." Then he starts walking her through the maze. He has instructed her how to hold the napkin to her nose and is holding her hand, talking calmly to her the whole time. She's whimpering and he just keeps up the calm talk, "It's okay, we'll get to your mom soon, don't let go of my hand, I won't let you get hurt, it's okay." They come to one of those net tunnel things the kids climb across and she panics and starts wailing. DS isn't shaken at all! He crawls to the middle of the netting then opens his arms and wraps them around her. Then he waddles backward holding her, saying the whole time that he has her and won't let her fall and he'll keep her safe. When they get across, which seemed to take forever, especially with her mom panicking beside me, he was able to quickly bring her down the slide and into her mom's arms.

The little girl, only 4, had bumped her nose on the steering wheel in the little room and her nose started bleeding and she panicked. She had no major injuries and the bleeding had stopped by the time they got down.

I'm so proud of my son, a little guy himself at only 7, for being so calm and helpful and doing all the right things! The mom offered to buy him an ice cream cone, which he declined. He told her, "it's okay. I'm going to be an astronaut and so I need to practice being a hero." (Plus, he already had a milkshake) :D

When I told DH about it later that day, DS got embarrassed. He insists he didn't do anything special and that it's not like he could leave someone alone who was hurt and scared. Regardless, I'm still proud!

Yesterday DS7 and I stopped at one of those fast food places with the giant indoor play area while we were on our way to a class. We had some time to kill so I let him play for a bit. Naturally, with it being a school day, he was the oldest kid there and the rest ranged in age from about 2 to 4.

He was having a blast and I was only half paying attention while I read a book. The age of the rest of the kids meant a lot of noise and intermittent crying as young kids reached meltdown point, but nothing concerning. Suddenly, my son came running over, grabbed a handful of napkins off the table, and said, "we have an emergency mom." The he was climbing back to the top of the structure as fast as he could.

I put down my book and walked over to the play place. I could hear my son talking in one of the closed-in plastic rooms and a little girl crying. The little girl's mom came running over yelling, "Are you Ok, S.? Answer Mommy!" Where the kids were at would be difficult for one of us adults to reach them.

My son pokes his head where we can see him. "She has a bloody nose, but it's almost stopped bleeding." Then he starts walking her through the maze. He has instructed her how to hold the napkin to her nose and is holding her hand, talking calmly to her the whole time. She's whimpering and he just keeps up the calm talk, "It's okay, we'll get to your mom soon, don't let go of my hand, I won't let you get hurt, it's okay." They come to one of those net tunnel things the kids climb across and she panics and starts wailing. DS isn't shaken at all! He crawls to the middle of the netting then opens his arms and wraps them around her. Then he waddles backward holding her, saying the whole time that he has her and won't let her fall and he'll keep her safe. When they get across, which seemed to take forever, especially with her mom panicking beside me, he was able to quickly bring her down the slide and into her mom's arms.

The little girl, only 4, had bumped her nose on the steering wheel in the little room and her nose started bleeding and she panicked. She had no major injuries and the bleeding had stopped by the time they got down.

I'm so proud of my son, a little guy himself at only 7, for being so calm and helpful and doing all the right things! The mom offered to buy him an ice cream cone, which he declined. He told her, "it's okay. I'm going to be an astronaut and so I need to practice being a hero." (Plus, he already had a milkshake) :D

When I told DH about it later that day, DS got embarrassed. He insists he didn't do anything special and that it's not like he could leave someone alone who was hurt and scared. Regardless, I'm still proud!

THAT is an awesome story. You should be proud. :)