Menu

What are your favorite Christmas-themed short stories suitable for teens?

I won't say these are specifically for teens - we've been reading them for family reading during the Christmas season for a very long time now. They are just good stories . . . Each can easily be read in one sitting (even orally).

Raphael, The Herald Angel, by David Appel and Merle Hudson. This is fiction, and both funny and touching. It may be hard to find. We stumbled upon it at our public library. When I tried to purchase a copy, it took me a few years to find one online.

The Hired Man’s Christmas, by George Givens. This is non-fiction. We actually know one of the author's children.

"Where Love Is, God Is," by Leo Tolstoy. I read it for the first time last Christmas and it's lovely.

Oh! And Connie Willis wrote a book of Christmas-themed short stories--some are funny and some will make you cry. A couple are just weird. It's called "Miracle and other Christmas stories."

Gift of the Magi is appropriate for all ages and timeless. Also, the chapters (27-29 I think) in the book A Tree Grows in Brooklyn tell a sweet tale. Some Christmas books have those chapters as a stand-alone read. It is when a tree lot gives away its leftover trees to the poor on Christmas Eve to anyone who can catch them when thrown in the air.

Christmas Day in the Morning by Pearl S. Buck. A sweet story about true giving at Christmas. I love this book! It makes me get all choked up when I read it each year to the kids. It was also made into a short movie.

in case the link doesn't work:

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Day-Morning-Pearl-Buck/dp/0688162673/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352567524&sr=1-1&keywords=the+gift+pearl+s+buck