Menu

Dining room table question

I'm looking to buy our first dining room table and getting confused. We've always just had a kitchen eating area before and a second hand kitchen table. Never used a tablecloth and just put everything on the table. Now in our new house, we actually have a separate dining room as well as an eat-in kitchen.

So anyway, I'm looking at these new dining room sets which are very pretty, but then I keep reading that to protect the table, you need to have table pads and/or tablecloths and be careful never to set hot dishes down or drinks etc. I can understand that, but if I'm buying something because I like how it looks, why do I want to cover it up? I'd really just want to be able to use it as is. Yes, a tablecloth for some special occasions, but 99% of the time, I want to see my table and use it as is. Is there a certain kind of wood or manufacturer I should look for then? Or does everything get easily scratched up and damaged? I tend to like the warm cherry look and a basic country style; something more casual than ornate, and sturdy. Almost everything seems to have veneers. We would probably only eat there when we had company, but I was also thinking of using the table for jigsaw puzzles, possibly some schoolwork...

Any ideas on where to look or what to get? I really do not want to deal with table pads and a lifetime of tablecloths or worry. I think I'd almost rather get something inexpensive so I don't freak out about damaging it.

You can get plexiglass cut to the size and shape of the table. It is almost invisible and easy to clean. I know a few people who have their tables covered like this, and it works well.

A least I think it's plexiglass, maybe it's real glass?

Edited by caroljenn
Forgot something

For what you are describing, I wouldn't worry about it. It won't be your everyday table. When you do use it, use placemats and trivets. Now if the kids want to do school at it, definitely use a tablecloth!

I've only ever worried about using a tablecloth if we have kids at the table or if there is something other than eating going on.

We bought an Amish Oak table and chairs in the middle of our homeschooling years. It has a few knicks and bumps, but overall it's just fine. I never used placemats......dislike them. I use trivets and such when I put hot things on there, but otherwise it is just fine.

I got our set from Sam's Club. Since I spent under $1000 on the table and six chairs, I'm not expecting to hand it down to one of my kids. I hope to get 10 years out of it. It's already showing some character, but should look good for a while.

I got a pretty dark finish though. I'll see if I can find a pic. Funny. This is the best one I could find (just got a new computer and haven't finished moving stuff).

People are always surprised it came from Sam's Club. Even the guys who delivered it. It looks expensive (at least for now. :tongue_smilie:)

Okay. I finally remembered what it was called. It's this set (I did not pay that much.):

http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Silver-Hillsboro-Piece-Dining/dp/B006CFDZTA/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1352520374&sr=1-4&keywords=steve+silver+hillsboro

I chose it as it was big enough to seat six, but narrow enough for our small dining room.

Edited by darlasowders

Yes, a tablecloth for some special occasions, but 99% of the time, I want to see my table and use it as is.

Get a dining table the size that is comfortable for you to entertain. Than get a few nice tableclothes. Get a few complimentary table runners and placemats if you like.

Just use the dining table as you like it everyday and throw on the tablecloth, runner and placemat before you lay the table for guest.

I bought my pine dining table which sits six from Ikea. I had put hot pots on the table without there being signs of damage :001_smile:

Get SOLID WOOD. My wood tables are loved around here. I have a farmhouse type table made from reclaimed wood that is near being sanded and re stained on top. You can DO that with wood. It's a bit tougher if someone spills acetone nail polish remover and covers it up with a towel though. :001_unsure:

I would suggest trying to avoid veneer if you can. You can't really repair that if it gets damaged.

What I have is great--it's an oval table made of solid walnut. The short ends drop down (drop leaf) to make it very small (basically a two seater at that point). I have three 15 inch leaves to add into the middle, so it can be opened up to seat about 12-14 people. And because it is solid, I can have it sanded and refinished if I ever really mess it up. I got this at an antique show in Vermont, so it was far cheaper than a new table as well. I just love it!

The only difficulty with this approach is that it is hard to find a matching set if that is what you want, but I think that non-matching but coordinating furniture is very charming, and so that is what I have.

I bought a set of 6 Windsor chairs, also antique, to go with it. And I often put a lace tablecloth on it because the dark wood is so pretty through the holes in the lace.

You leave the table uncovered except when you are eating a meal there. then you bring out the pads and table cloth. When you finish the meal, you put away the table pads. :-)

You can use placemats, although strictly speaking, a dining room is more formal than an eat-in kitchen, and place mats are not very formal, KWIM? But if you were eating an informal meal, such as breakfast, in your pretty dining room (which you should ever so often), then you could use your placemats, and put hot serving dishes on trivits of some kind.

When my friend moved and finally had a dining room, she bought a distressed, farm table looking DR set. She has 6 kids and wanted it to look good even when stuff happened. She uses it as-is for everyday meals and just breaks out tablecloths and such for holidays.

I love my DR table, but we use it so often that it's always covered and I never see it :-/

We have a dining room table and do not use tablecloths often. I'll probably use one for Thanksgiving, but really that's about it (1-2x/year). It's our only table so we use it a lot. The table was inexpensive (from amazon) and I don't expect it to last forever and I don't mind a "lived in" look. I'd rather have the table get worn over time and cover it with a tablecloth when I need it looking "perfect", which is never. We don't use placemats either. And we do playdough and markers and glitter and such on the table. I do cover it with a plastic cloth for paint. :-D

I've always bought farmhouse style dining tables that look better with a little added character :)

I have this from Pottery Barn

img67b.jpg

although they don't make it anymore. It's been well loved, and has lots of dings and scratches. I think it looks great.

And in my kitchen I have a custom farm table made from reclaimed wood from a local barn. Obviously, I don't care if it gets banged up, as the wood is 100 years old.

post-2230-13535087826503_thumb.jpg

post-2230-13535087826503_thumb.jpg

I had the same issue when looking for our dining room table. I wanted to use it and be comfortable with my dc using it freely. We had a veneer table before and couldn't use it at all (even to play cards) without covering it. I found a distressed solid wood table and love it. It looks beautiful in our house and any love taps just add character. I'm so happy we didn't get another veneer table.

We have a dining room table and do not use tablecloths often. I'll probably use one for Thanksgiving, but really that's about it (1-2x/year). It's our only table so we use it a lot. The table was inexpensive (from amazon) and I don't expect it to last forever and I don't mind a "lived in" look. I'd rather have the table get worn over time and cover it with a tablecloth when I need it looking "perfect", which is never. We don't use placemats either. And we do playdough and markers and glitter and such on the table. I do cover it with a plastic cloth for paint. :-D

I don't. :tongue_smilie:

post-3082-13535087826622_thumb.jpg

post-3082-13535087826622_thumb.jpg

We measured our table and had glass cut to fit it. You barely notice it, and it protects the table, while allowing the beauty of the wood to show.

It cost less than $200.

If you do this, ask for a polished edge and an amber-colored glass. It looks nicer than clear or smoky grey.

We have a pine farmhouse style table that we bought in Germany. The nicks and such give it character. Once the kids are grown we can sand and re-do the top (if we have the heart!).

Is your dh handy? My dh has built several things off of this site:

http://ana-white.com/2012/08/farmhouse-table-rustic-table

I have too. And if you buy a Kreg jig you can build a table AND have tools for other things, AND spend less than you would on a table.

We have a pine farmhouse style table that we bought in Germany. The nicks and such give it character. Once the kids are grown we can sand and re-do the top (if we have the heart!).

Is your dh handy? My dh has built several things off of this site:

http://ana-white.com/2012/08/farmhouse-table-rustic-table

That's what I really wanted to do, and the main reason I went with the Sam's Club dining set. When I wear this one out, I'm going to build my own and not feel bad about the money spent. I only have a few dozen projects that need to come first and was very very sick of the pedestal table we had. It was awkward in the room and we beat it up pretty good over the years. I also hate country style and it was very much so. So I went ahead and bought one and will keep working on my SketchUp design. I want a table with shallow drawers on each long side, NO leaf of any kind, and very specific measurements.

I've built several things from Ana's site also but I know myself pretty well. I tend to modify things a lot (My loft bed from her plans comes apart.). I want to really take my time on a table. I know I want the top smooth, and that might prompt the purchase of a planer/joiner.

Oh, and the Kreg jig totally rocks. I use it on every single project and don't know how I lived without it.

Have you seen the

? Edited by darlasowders

Yes! I made several of Ana White's shelves. A Kreg Jig is supposed to be on my Christmas list this year but I almost forgot. Thanks for reminding me!

I got one 2 years ago. I LOVE it. I have shelves all over my house now.

This year I want a new work table

If you don't mind my asking, which kind did you get? I was just looking, and there's a "jr" little one and the regular one, and some kind of deluxe model. Too many choices!

I got the Master system. The thing you drill into is so much sturdier and easier than the jr one. I have not used the jr, but after using this one I don't think it would be as easy.

ETA: I think mine may be the deluxe thing you are talking about. I think it just has extra screws and a clamp. I think it was $150, whereas the other is $100 (roughly). When I looked at all the plugs and screws it ended up being a pretty good deal wtih all the extras

Edited by 425lisamarie

I agree about getting solid wood. When we moved here 18 months ago, we bought a brand new solid wood table and 6 chairs. It has been heavily used on a daily basis since we moved in, and it is what we use to do our school work now, and it just has a couple scratches that are hardly noticeable. We don't use a tablecloth or place mats or anything.

I haven't use any plans for ana white, but have been inspired by many of them. I so want a circular saw, kreg jig and that rip cut Darla posted. I have a table saw, that I got for my birthday, but that rip cut and a circular saw would be awesome so I could buy sheets of plywood instead of other types of boards for some projects. You can't really put a big sheet of ply on a table saw.

I haven't use any plans for ana white, but have been inspired by many of them. I so want a circular saw, kreg jig and that rip cut Darla posted. I have a table saw, that I got for my birthday, but that rip cut and a circular saw would be awesome so I could buy sheets of plywood instead of other types of boards for some projects. You can't really put a big sheet of ply on a table saw.

Most hardware stores will rip the plywood down for you though. I've done this a few times. They do charge per cut but it's like 50 cents and at least half the time they don't actually bother to charge it. If I'm having a 4x8 sheet ripped into four 1x8 boards, it's well worth the extra $1.50 to not have to deal with it at home!

Most hardware stores will rip the plywood down for you though. I've done this a few times. They do charge per cut but it's like 50 cents and at least half the time they don't actually bother to charge it. If I'm having a 4x8 sheet ripped into four 1x8 boards, it's well worth the extra $1.50 to not have to deal with it at home!

I've done that a few times, but there are times I want to do it all myself. Mostly because sometimes I just have an idea in my head and like to design on the fly.

We measured our table and had glass cut to fit it. You barely notice it, and it protects the table, while allowing the beauty of the wood to show.

It cost less than $200.

If you do this, ask for a polished edge and an amber-colored glass. It looks nicer than clear or smoky grey.

A friend of mine has done this for several of her pieces of wood furniture and you hardly notice the glass is there. I'm doing this the next time we get a nice set. By then I'm hoping we'll have a dedicated school room so we aren't using the dining room for double duty though :D

If you don't mind my asking, which kind did you get? I was just looking, and there's a "jr" little one and the regular one, and some kind of deluxe model. Too many choices!

Looking at what they offer now, either the K4 or the Master system would get you started. The jig itself is the same in either set. They do make a micro jig for 1/2" stock, but that one is black and clearly different. I have that one too, but haven't used it much yet.

The system I got looks the closest to the K4 system, but did not include the clamp or vacuum attachment accessory. I use an Irwin quick grip clamp to clamp mine to the table. It doesn't stick out sideways like the Kreg clamp would. I do love their clamps, but not for clamping the jig in place.

The best, most necessary Kreg clamp is their right angle clamp. Other clamps can be improvised somewhat, but that one is pretty unique to Kreg: http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-KHC-RAC-Right-Angle-Clamp/dp/B001DCE79O/ref=pd_sim_hi_5

I have to have mine cut since I don't have a truck. I still don't like them to cut any more then necessary as they don't guarantee accuracy. And they're not kidding. I had one ripped to the width I needed to make something for my dd's room, and it worked out okay, but the pieces were not square despite measuring what they were supposed to.

I do find that I can use my sliding compound miter saw (WAY more useful than a table saw) to cut 12" and flip the board and cut up to 12" more for a much more accurate cut than you'd get with either the rip-cut or a table saw (for me anyway).

I do own the Rip-Cut, and you do need to calibrate it each time you use it. This only takes a minute. The sled thing jiggles a little and it's off. Not bad for a $35 tool though as long as you know it's limitations. It's no panel saw.

I'm not an expert on wood or making tables... but I have two thoughts for you....

Two frustrations we've had with tables and chairs...

1)allow more space for chairs than you think you need - in other words, beware the width of your table.

and

2)the chairs will die long before the table does. I wish I had paid more attention to the chairs than the table I thought I liked.

Looking at what they offer now, either the K4 or the Master system would get you started. The jig itself is the same in either set. They do make a micro jig for 1/2" stock, but that one is black and clearly different. I have that one too, but haven't used it much yet.

The system I got looks the closest to the K4 system, but did not include the clamp or vacuum attachment accessory. I use an Irwin quick grip clamp to clamp mine to the table. It doesn't stick out sideways like the Kreg clamp would. I do love their clamps, but not for clamping the jig in place.

The best, most necessary Kreg clamp is their right angle clamp. Other clamps can be improvised somewhat, but that one is pretty unique to Kreg: http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-KHC-RAC-Right-Angle-Clamp/dp/B001DCE79O/ref=pd_sim_hi_5

I have to have mine cut since I don't have a truck. I still don't like them to cut any more then necessary as they don't guarantee accuracy. And they're not kidding. I had one ripped to the width I needed to make something for my dd's room, and it worked out okay, but the pieces were not square despite measuring what they were supposed to.

I do find that I can use my sliding compound miter saw (WAY more useful than a table saw) to cut 12" and flip the board and cut up to 12" more for a much more accurate cut than you'd get with either the rip-cut or a table saw (for me anyway).

I do own the Rip-Cut, and you do need to calibrate it each time you use it. This only takes a minute. The sled thing jiggles a little and it's off. Not bad for a $35 tool though as long as you know it's limitations. It's no panel saw.

I just put the rip-cut, the K4, and the right-angle clamp on my list.