Menu

DS ~14 needs speech help, but where?

My almost 14yo ds needs help with his speech but I don't know where to go. I have tried getting him help through regular speech therapy twice, but both times my son did very well when he was being evaluated. The first speech therapist didn't think he had a problem, and the second speech therapist said his speech was fine but got all happy about trying to diagnose him with Asperger's and Sensory Processing Disorder instead (I don't want to get into this now because it will take me a LONG time to explain it, but I feel pretty certian that he does not have either of these).

He is capable of pronouncing words well --- sometimes; he is capable of projecting his voice --- sometimes; he is capable of speaking strongly --- sometimes. But most often, he does not do any of this. He has a very bad habit of holding his mouth and lips and tongue very still, so that there is not a lot of distinction between his words and it sounds like he is actually holding in his words.

He doesn't do this when he is being evaluated, because then he is very conscious of how he speaks and does really well.

I've tried to explain this to both of the speech therapists that have evaluated him, but they don't see it so to them the speech problem doesn't exist. That's understandable. But it does exist, and I really want to get him some help, but I don't know where to turn.

He is very intelligent, but I am afraid that his poor speech habit will be a disadvantage to him in his life. Already people tend to tune him out when he starts talking like this. I have a hard time listening when he is talking like this. The poor speech seems to drown out anything that he is saying.

Any ideas on what I could do to help him? On where I could go to get him help?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I hate to say it but I have 3 with the same problem. When in speech class they are focused on their speech and do fine. Walk them out the door and forget it. If he does not have true articulation issues aka he physically cannot make certain sounds, maybe see if there is an outside speech or debate club. Maybe having peer pressure will work for you. Unfortunately it doesn't work here.

That's the thing. I know he can make the sounds. When he is talking passionately about something, he speaks strong and clear and even articulates his words. His speech sounds really good.

But when he is not speaking passionately about something, he either mumbles or speaks without almost no movement in his mouth area and with his voice held back. It is so hard to listen to, and it is so hard to stop. He doesn't mind me reminding him about it, but I don't want to remind him in public (he is almost 14 yo so I don't think it would be appropriate). And even though I remind him at home, I can't seem to remind him enough. By the time I can interrupt him in order to remind him to focus on his speech, he has already spoken in his poor speaking manner...thus his bad habit is constantly being reinforced.

I live 40 minutes outside of a small town. As far as I know, there is nothing out there around here that can help him. I was hoping to find out about something online or in DVD format. Free would be nice, but I don't think that that is going to happen.

So what do you do/have you done to try to help your kids with their speech?

Poetry memorization and reading aloud are both working here to get him to focus on speech.

My son has a bit of the same issue. Well, he has true errors but he articulates much better when he is focusing on it (one reason I have him read aloud every day). We just started with a new SLP who is having us do exercises to strengthen his tongue and stabilize his jaw. Apparently he keeps his mouth mostly closed because it is weak and he uses his jaw to help his tongue. I had no idea. You can google oral motor exercises and have your son try them. If any are difficult, then work on those.

In situations where the problem is situational, it's good to bring in a recording or video of the child, taken when they aren't aware.

Have you tried your local public school district? There is one outstanding speech pathologist at our high school who specializes in the unique speech needs of teens such as your son. The school even has communications classes for kids that emphasizes social awareness and helps prepare them for the future (ie job interview skills).

Poetry memorization and reading aloud are both working here to get him to focus on speech.

My son has a bit of the same issue. Well, he has true errors but he articulates much better when he is focusing on it (one reason I have him read aloud every day). We just started with a new SLP who is having us do exercises to strengthen his tongue and stabilize his jaw. Apparently he keeps his mouth mostly closed because it is weak and he uses his jaw to help his tongue. I had no idea. You can google oral motor exercises and have your son try them. If any are difficult, then work on those.

Thanks for the suggestions.

He does read-aloud sometimes, and he does better with this, but he tends to rush over his words. I guess I really need to emphasize the importance of s-l-o-w-i-n-g down.

I really the poetry memorization suggestion. I have never tried this, but I bet it would help since he would be presenting it to me (he usually does well when giving presentations).

I also like your last suggestions for exercises to strengthen his tongue and stabilize his tongue. I will try to google for information about this. Is there a specific word that describes this condition? A diagnosis of some sorts that would make it easier for me to find on the internet?

Thanks again.

In situations where the problem is situational, it's good to bring in a recording or video of the child, taken when they aren't aware.

Have you tried your local public school district? There is one outstanding speech pathologist at our high school who specializes in the unique speech needs of teens such as your son. The school even has communications classes for kids that emphasizes social awareness and helps prepare them for the future (ie job interview skills).

The communications class sounds like a good idea. I would love this for him. If it is a regular Monday through Friday class, we would have a hard time being able to attend, as we live so far out of town and can't afford the gas to go to and from town five days per week. But I will at least look into it.

If not, I was thinking of a class like the one you have described but online. And affordable. I am probably dreaming, though.

Honestly I've never heard of inexpensive professional speech therapy help, unless it was some kind of tax supported program such as the schools, early intervention, or a university speech pathology training program.

If you google you will find businesses that do offer online speech therapy. I've never known anyone who has used them since we have nearby providers.

One advantage to a diagnosis is some insurance plans cover speech therapy. Some therapists will work with you so that you can work on things at home. I would think it would be harder with a teen, as speech is more easily worked into daily routines with games, routines, etc. Teens know when they're being worked on. ;)

You might consider private singing/voice lessons.

We switched to voice lessons after DS was "graduated" from speech therapy, and I have to say it was a much bigger improvement than the speech therapy ever was. That might reflect more on the speech therapist than anything else.... :glare: or on the fact that he didn't have a problem making the sounds when he thought about it, just on remembering to actually do it...

The other thing we've done is emphasize foreign languages to an extent we wouldn't have otherwise. Paying attention to his foreign language pronunciation has helped him pay attention to his English pronunciation.

We switched to voice lessons after DS was "graduated" from speech therapy, and I have to say it was a much bigger improvement than the speech therapy ever was. That might reflect more on the speech therapist than anything else.... :glare: or on the fact that he didn't have a problem making the sounds when he thought about it, just on remembering to actually do it...

The other thing we've done is emphasize foreign languages to an extent we wouldn't have otherwise. Paying attention to his foreign language pronunciation has helped him pay attention to his English pronunciation.

)

I think that chorus, choir, drama, public speaking or debate might fit your needs and your son might enjoy them more (or not ;) ). Speech therapy is great but when your child isn't in the speech class he needs to apply what he has learned all the time so that he makes changes just not in class. Given that he knows what he needs to do (does well in evals) than it sounds like he needs a place that he has to apply what he already knows.

Honestly I've never heard of inexpensive professional speech therapy help, unless it was some kind of tax supported program such as the schools, early intervention, or a university speech pathology training program.

If you google you will find businesses that do offer online speech therapy. I've never known anyone who has used them since we have nearby providers.

One advantage to a diagnosis is some insurance plans cover speech therapy. Some therapists will work with you so that you can work on things at home. I would think it would be harder with a teen, as speech is more easily worked into daily routines with games, routines, etc. Teens know when they're being worked on. ;)

Good point.

Yes, I was hoping to get a diagnosis, because we can get speech therapy for him with a diagnosis. But the speech therapist said his speech was fine (which I told it her it would be unless she could make him forget his was being evaluated for speech) and then went right into trying to start a diagnosis for Asperger's and Sensory Processing Disorder.

We are almost certain he does not have either one of these other disorders, and we do not want him labeled as such. If I allowed her to do the evaluation for these, and then allowed her to proceed with working with him for these conditions, she would fit speech/communication with others in. But I don't want to go that route, because I think the labeling would do him more harm than good. As of now, he doesn't think anything is wrong with him, and I don't want him to start questioning that. I'm afraid he gets enough of that from me with his speech and a few other things.:)

This was kind of what I was thinking, too. Since he doesn't have trouble making the correct sounds when he is thinking about it, I just need to help him with replacing his poor speech patterns, Reinforcing the good speech patterns through constant awareness and reinforcements is what I think would work best.

When you say voice lessons, do you mean singing voice lessons or acting voice lessons or some other specific type of voice lesson? I ask because I want to know exactly what I am looking for when I start looking. Thanks.

)

I think that chorus, choir, drama, public speaking or debate might fit your needs and your son might enjoy them more (or not ;) ). Speech therapy is great but when your child isn't in the speech class he needs to apply what he has learned all the time so that he makes changes just not in class. Given that he knows what he needs to do (does well in evals) than it sounds like he needs a place that he has to apply what he already knows.[/QUOTE]

You are right about the bolded.

I was thinking of eventually getting private voice lessons of some kind for him, because he is everything science and technology and not at all interested in choir, drama, or debate.

Are there any 4H clubs in your area? 4H has an emphasis on communication and presentations so it may be a way to get some of the benefits of a speech club. Also, 4H, on a national level, is trying to get more kids engaged in science and technology in their clubs with robotics, rocketry and engineering. Even if there is not already a 4h club in your area, you could contact your local county extension office (run through your state's land grant university) and ask about getting a club started. Getting clubs started is not costly and the extension office probably can help you with funding or even getting grants.

Also, martial arts helped my son with his speech, oddly enough. The instructor engaged the kids in conversations in class and encouraged strong responses, eye contact, etc. Any kind of situation where another person is monitoring him and encouraging him to speak at his best capacity would probably help. Are there any places he can volunteer?

Are there any 4H clubs in your area? 4H has an emphasis on communication and presentations so it may be a way to get some of the benefits of a speech club. Also, 4H, on a national level, is trying to get more kids engaged in science and technology in their clubs with robotics, rocketry and engineering. Even if there is not already a 4h club in your area, you could contact your local county extension office (run through your state's land grant university) and ask about getting a club started. Getting clubs started is not costly and the extension office probably can help you with funding or even getting grants.

Also, martial arts helped my son with his speech, oddly enough. The instructor engaged the kids in conversations in class and encouraged strong responses, eye contact, etc. Any kind of situation where another person is monitoring him and encouraging him to speak at his best capacity would probably help. Are there any places he can volunteer?

He has been in 4h, and he did well on his demonstrations, but I haven't looked into the speech/communications projects yet. I will look at those.

How wonderful to have your son's speech improve with his martial arts class! My son did take taekwondo for awhile, but his teacher had to stop teaching the class. But then again, his teacher wasn't the type to stress strong responses and eye contact, either. I will keep this in mind, though, in case the possibility of any future classes come up.

This was kind of what I was thinking, too. Since he doesn't have trouble making the correct sounds when he is thinking about it, I just need to help him with replacing his poor speech patterns, Reinforcing the good speech patterns through constant awareness and reinforcements is what I think would work best.

When you say voice lessons, do you mean singing voice lessons or acting voice lessons or some other specific type of voice lesson? I ask because I want to know exactly what I am looking for when I start looking. Thanks.

We did singing just because his flute teacher was also a voice teacher, so it was convenient to combine the lessons.... I was thinking of acting voice classes now, though, because he's working at the local art center's theater... so it would be convenient again. I think either one might be good, but singing is what we have done.