Menu

When did people start calling crayons colors?

It might be regional. I vaguely remember hearing "colors" when I was younger.

What makes me crazy is when people say "color crayons." :blink: Which isn't quite as bad as "tuna fish" (is there any kind of tuna that is not fish??). "Chapter books" also makes me go :blink:.

I think it must be a regional thing. I recall hearing that as well, but randomly throughout my life, and from different people.

I've never heard crayons called colors. I did have a friend from Scotland who used crayon as a verb instead of color, though.

That sort of makes sense... Paint is a verb. We pencil things in and chalk lines... It's odd that it seems so odd to crayon and, yet, it does.

I'm from the south (AL) and saying "colors" was pretty common when I was a kid.

After I got married, we moved around quite a bit, and now live in FL.

I say "crayons" to my own kids, with the emphasis on the first syllable. :D

You can take the girl out of the country...

I've never heard "colors" until this thread. Though my college roommate and I nearly came to blows over pronouncing "crayon" (cray-on vs. cran; I concede now that she was probably right).

Which isn't quite as bad as "tuna fish" (is there any kind of tuna that is not fish??).

As I figure it, "tuna" is that lovely piece of seared fish seasoned lightly with cracked pepper and crusted with sesame seeds. "Tuna fish" is the stuff in the can I use to make sandwiches. Completely different! :)

I grew up in MN, and we said colors too, but we knew they were crayons. Maybe at home they were colors, but at school crayons?

However, seeing it in black and white it looks and sounds wierd in my head.

:iagree: I grew up in Nebraska.

I did have a minor flip-out when my elementary aged nieces (that lived near Philadelphia) pronounced crayon as "crown".:001_huh:

That would be "canned tuna." Because there's no such thing as, say, tuna dog, or tuna banana. :lol:

Linguistically, I agree with you entirely. But I still can't imagine the stuff in the can being anything other than tuna fish. Canned salmon (because salmon fish sounds absurd), canned mackerel. But tuna fish. :)

Nah, you're right. I just kind of like the doofiness of it.

I grew up in the PNW and have never heard them called colors. I'll have to pay more attention to what people call them around here. I vaguely remember hearing color crayons when I was little.

I grew up it the PNW and do remember them being called colors and crayons. LOL Probably just the people we were around. :lol:

It must be regional; I've heard a few people say it, but we all say "crayons."

Pet peeve: "crowns." :glare:

I don't get the "crowns" either.... We say crayons (and did in Maryland, Georgia & Tennessee). They were called crayons when I was growing up (graduated from high school in the early '80s).

Edited by CathieC

As I figure it, "tuna" is that lovely piece of seared fish seasoned lightly with cracked pepper and crusted with sesame seeds. "Tuna fish" is the stuff in the can I use to make sandwiches. Completely different! :)

:iagree: although I have never had tuna cooked that way, I will have to try it, sounds yummy.

I had thought it was regional to Louisiana area which is where dh is currently working, that was until I heard my mom say it. It does sound like it is used in lots of different areas, it is just strange that I had never heard it until we came here and then my mom used it. She is nowhere near here.

I can understand young kids saying colors because they aren't able to say crayons. Dd says lots of things differently until she gets to where she can say them the right way.

Which isn't quite as bad as "tuna fish" (is there any kind of tuna that is not fish??). "Chapter books" also makes me go :blink:.

That would be "canned tuna." Because there's no such thing as, say, tuna dog, or tuna banana. :lol:

Got me thinking on this one, since we don't do this to other fish. So I turned to the dictionary, as it turns out tuna is also fruit:

Here's wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opuntia

and Merriam Webster http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tuna

Got me thinking on this one, since we don't do this to other fish. So I turned to the dictionary, as it turns out tuna is also fruit:

Here's wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opuntia

and Merriam Webster http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tuna

LOL - I know that's the word for prickly pear cactus fruit in Mexican Spanish, but I've never heard it used in English (but I guess people of Mexican descent might very well use it rather than the English). I learned the Mexican word first, then when I went to Spain found that "tuna" there means a university band that serenades young ladies at their balconies. A bit different. :lol:

I have never heard crayons called colors. :tongue_smilie:

Linguistically, I agree with you entirely. But I still can't imagine the stuff in the can being anything other than tuna fish. Canned salmon (because salmon fish sounds absurd), canned mackerel. But tuna fish. :)

Nah, you're right. I just kind of like the doofiness of it.

It you are in one of our regional grocery stores, these would all fall into the category - along with canned chicken and deviled ham - they refer to on their signage as "can meat". :001_huh:

I've never heard them called that, and I have lived most of my life in north Alabama.

Pet peeve: "crowns." :glare:

One of my best friends from school says this, and it drives me NUTS! :lol: It's CRAY-ons!

"Chapter books" also makes me go :blink:.

That differentiates from books without chapters. Picture books are just one long piece of writing, but chapter books are broken into chapters. :)

"ATM machine" drives me nuts though. :D

I've never heard "colors" until this thread. Though my college roommate and I nearly came to blows over pronouncing "crayon" (cray-on vs. cran; I concede now that she was probably right).

"Crans" is the correct way, isn't it? ;) My husband teases me that I pronounce it with one syllable. Of course, he also teases me about how I say elementary, despite wikipedia verifying that it is a legitimate local accent from where I was born.