Menu

s/o names did you want names for dc that dh said NO WAY or vice versa

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dh is extremely picky, so he nixed most every name I loved. My favorites were Henry, Landon, or Matthew for a boy, and Adelaide or Mary for a girl.

I used to teach ps, so there were many names ruined for me that I nixed from his likes; the number one name he liked that I absolutely could not do was Gavin. I taught a mean and bratty child with this name, and I just could not pass that onto one of my children.

I do love the names of our kids that we finally agreed to use.

I considered Bernadette for DD, with the nickname "Bernie." DH, my mom, and favorite aunt all thought it was vomit-worthy.

I also considered keeping DS's birth name (Vladimir) but DH (who IS Russian) HATED the name. I wanted to give DS a more Russian-sounding name to honor his heritage and birth-country, but all the names that sounded good to my Western ears did not sound good to DH's Russian ears. He liked names like Boris (gag!). I liked names like Nikolai or Alexi. We ended up giving him a very English-sounding first name, and 2 middle names.

Edited by jujsky

Yes. I suggested my name as a middle name for a girl. He also disagreed with adding my father/grandfather's middle name as a middle name for a girl (which would have also caused her to be named after a well known Christian author).

I disagred with super common names like Amanda, Melissa, and Jennifer.

We didn't have a lot of drama about names, really. I did suggest a couple of girl's names that my husband didn't like (Abagail, Charlotte), but we both liked so many for girls that it wasn't a big issue.

We ended up with a Gwendolyn, a name I still love almost 18 years later. And we gave her one of my mother-in-law's two middle names. So, her name consists of a name we chose together, a middle name honoring her grandmother and a last name honoring her father's family. I love how "grounded" that feels.

We had a harder time with boy's names. I'd had a name in mind for years that I always said I'd use if I ever had a son. So, my husband knew he was pretty much out of luck if I stuck to my guns. And we knew we wanted to give any hypothetical boy my mother-in-law's maiden name as a middle. We did decide to revisit the issue, though, when we started hearing my preferred name mentioned here and there and even met a little boy with that name. Then, a child actor with the name started making waves, and I got nervous.

Both of us had grown up with names that were consistently in the top 10 for popularity, and we knew we didn't want to inflict that on our kids.

We finally settled on Malcolm. Like his sister's name, it has Celtic roots. And, also like Gwendolyn, it's a "real name" that you don't hear all that often.

The only disagreement we had was over potential nicknames. There really aren't any good ones for Malcolm. I advocated strongly for "Mac," which I thought would be really cute, but my husband hated it quite a lot and didn't think it was a logical shortening.

As it turns out, we've just accumulated all kinds of endearments for him over the years that have nothing to do with his name. So, it worked out.

Of course, I did have to share that they lead character in the YA novel I'm reading at the moment is a Malcolm . . . whose nickname is "Mackie."

The only name dh really liked for a boy, I didn't like...at all. Dh was Sooooo very excited when he told me the name, I didn't have the heart to tell him no. So alas, our son was named. It is a very good name, and fits him to a T. I came around by the end of the pregnancy. It is an old biblical name, with a Hebrew spelling, and while it was a bit obscure at the time, it has become quite common in the past 20 years.

I vetoed my own first choice. :lol: LOL Asher was a boyfriends last name, but I really liked it for a boy. Dh never would have known where it came from, and I seriously was just considering leaving that part out.

I had planned on naming a girl Jade since I was a teenager. He vetoed it immediately. Ironically, dd5 is my great niece and her biological middle name is Jade. LOL

Hubby wanted Samuel Adams _____. I said the poor boy would be constantly explaining, "after the patriot, not the beer." The name would have made for some interesting birth announcement possibilities, though, for our more open minded friends. :lol:

Then came the Scandinavian names... Knut, Gunner, Solveig, Arno, Wolf.

Decided upon William Oliver (after our paternal grandparents) But we had two girls.

I have a friend who wanted to use the middle name Lee for her son, a family name. They finally, after months, decided on the name Brock for their boy. They had it all set until one night she said she sat straight up in bed and was like BROCK LEE! WE CAN'T NAME OUR SON BROCK LEE! LOL. Say it out loud. :) His name now is Benjamin Lee.

:lol::lol::lol: This had my dd and I rolling!

We didn't have a lot of drama really...but with our first DD we had been planning on Sarah if it was a girl since before we were married. :D So when we got married, I got pregnant, and we found out it's a girl we said of course, she would be Sarah. Well, when I was about 37 weeks along, I turned to DH and said," Yeah, I don't think she's a Sarah." He was so flabbergasted and annoyed. He kept insisting, "You can't know she's not a Sarah! What does that even mean!!" :lol: But it was true - I just knew she wasn't. So in the end, we went a different way. I'm still not entirely sure he's forgiven me.

Second DD, I was very attached to Noelle as a name. He nixed it but I really liked it. He really wanted the name Chicory. I was :thumbdown: We had a name battle but found a good one in the end that we both liked.

Dh and I have agreed on 7 full girl names, and maybe 1 full boy's name. We have 4 boys.

I shot down:

Paine

Harvey

Zeke

Kincaid

Drake

He's shot down...hundreds. Literally hundreds. After trying my top hundred (things like Elias, Ward, Owen) names or so I just printed out the social security list and started reading. I didn't think our second son would have a name. I only got a name pinned down a week or two before he was born by severely compromising and promising dh could call him Ike or Zeke as a nickname. :glare:

I talked him into our 3rd son's name (one of my all time favorites) by letting him choose a really unusual Norwegian middle name, and our 4th son was easy because we stopped attending church with a child with that name so he forgot he disliked it. :lol:

Also, we initially made a deal that he could choose male middle names to honor family and I could choose female middle names. I feel shafted at this point. :tongue_smilie:

I have to live vicariously through baby name threads.

My husband and I come from opposite hemispheres.

Most of our naming issues stemmed from names we loved from our own cultures that weren't easily pronounceable in the other's. Between us that nixed a good portion of the Western alphabet and syllabry! So there wasn't any forbidding per se, just enthusiastic challenges -- "Okay, email this name to my parents and have them call us with a pronounciation" and realizing that there were a few names that both cultures mispronounced, but did so in a similar enough manner :P

Names I'd have wanted to forbid, but he graciously took out of the running after hearing my family butcher them:

Girls

Ljubica

Ziva

Boys

Valentin

Dragoslav

He wouldn't have forbid any names I picked, but I knew he was really concerned with having HIS family butcher them so I took most of my favorites out of the running. Our focus was less "I love this name" and more "Good gravy, what's going to work?" LOL. We did give each child two middle names, one from each of our families.

We didn't have a lot of name drama because we both tend to favor older but not yet popular again names. I did veto Gene for a boy and he vetoed Joel. I did discover that once we'd decided to use my husband's first name as the middle name for one of the boys he was agreeable to about anything after that. Didn't seem to matter that the kid was going to carry his last name for life.

My father was pushing Mark Twain for one of my brothers but my mother convinced him to go with Mark Wayne instead.

One of my friends always had her heart set on naming a boy Preston. She married a man whose initials were TP and he wasn't about to see a son grow up with the initials PP.

I have vetoed Luke, Skywalker, Anakin.

:lol: I also vetoed Anakin. Skywalker would have been interesting, though, but I'd have vetoed it if DH had brought it up.

However, our middle son's middle name is Luke. We needed a middle name for him, after taking five days to find a first name that fit him, and the option I had first thought of (my dad's name, Steven) didn't work with the first and last name -- too many "n's." I like Luke (and this child is all sunshine, so the meaning works), and DH had always liked Luke (and figured that was a good enough compromise over Anakin), and it fit well with the first name, so that's what we went with.

I love Alice! I was so mad when I first read Twilight, because Alice, Jasper and Edward were some of my favorite names. Stephanie Meyer ruins everything.

LOL, I think I am glad then, that it wasn't a girl, because Alice Joy would definitely have been on our short list. I've not read the Twilight books, so I didn't know that was a Twilight name.

Also, I love Dragoslav! It's way more unusual than I would go for, as we went with all very traditional names (and also, there's no US President or First Lady named Dragoslav, and I wouldn't leave anyone out), but I love it!

Edited by happypamama

Also, I love Dragoslav! It's way more unusual than I would go for, as we went with all very traditional names (and also, there's no US President or First Lady named Dragoslav, and I wouldn't leave anyone out), but I love it!

You mightn't've loved if it you heard my family's pronounciation - we are East Asian, and don't do the letters R and L so very well :lol: My SIL ended up using the name for one of her boys, and to hear my poor mother ask how that child is doing sends us into hysterics every time.

dh wanted Sara for our oldest, but our last name also begins with a vowel and I didn't like the way the 2 vowels sounded. Dd wanted to name her baby sister Courtney but dh did not like it at all. I liked Kellie, but dh has a male friend named Kelly and didn't like the idea of using it as a girls name. We went through bunches of names before finding the perfect ones.

:lol: I also vetoed Anakin. Skywalker would have been interesting, though, but I'd have vetoed it if DH had brought it up.

However, our middle son's middle name is Luke. We needed a middle name for him, after taking five days to find a first name that fit him, and the option I had first thought of (my dad's name, Steven) didn't work with the first and last name -- too many "n's." I like Luke (and this child is all sunshine, so the meaning works), and DH had always liked Luke (and figured that was a good enough compromise over Anakin), and it fit well with the first name, so that's what we went with.

We were able to come to a Star Wars compromise for one of the kids. :001_smile:

Edited by LibraryLover

My husband really liked the names Julie and Lisa and I vetoed both. Sorry, both are fine names but I knew too many of both through school.

I really liked Anya, Julitta and Mary and all were vetoed by my husband. I liked Judah and Julian for a boy and those were both nixed too.

This is us. DH has forbidden me to use anything that his mother couldn't pronounce. Given that she can't pronounce Ladybug's name and it is a fairly common universal name that is pronounced the same in every language because it is derived from the Greek, that pretty much nixes every family name I have :lol:.

:lol: at the time it drove me to the madhouse but looking back, it reminisces like a bad sitcom episode. Looks like you guys are back in the saddle, with a new one on the way? Congratulations!

Side note, but we had some friends with the last name Friedley. They lived in Japan for awhile, and there they were the Fuh-wee-duh-wees. :lol:

:lol::lol: that pretty much sums it up. That's funny!

Avi. It is my favorite name ever, and I have THREE boys, and DH vetoed it every single time. And did I mention that I had a grandfather Abraham (Avraham), so Avi would have been just PERFECT?

DH felt that it would not go well with our Chinese last name. We are Jewish, but he thought that Avi Wong [not our real last name, but similar] was just a bit . . . much. Which I guess is not totally unreasonable, as much as it pains me to admit it. All of our boys do have recognizably Jewish first names, but none of them are quite Avi (sob).

We are done with babymaking, though, so all I can do now is to exhort all of you who plan to have more babies to name your sons Avi. I recommend it to everyone :)

Edited by JennyD

I have vetoed several Arthurian legend-type and LOTR names. I can't remember them all, but I remember vehemently vetoing Galadriel and Eowyn. He suggested Hermione at one point but I think he was mostly messing with me :D

He vetoed Henry with our first. I can't remember his reasons. We ended up with a name for our son that we both love and they share a middle name. Of all my kids, my oldest's name is still my favorite. A nice, pronounceable classic that I'm honestly surprised we don't hear more often.

But funnily enough, fast forward ten years and we are expecting another boy after two girls, and we kicked Henry around as a middle name. This time I vetoed it. Tastes change!

When pregnant with DD2, I thought for a little that a particular name would be nice. It's typically a last name, but well enough known as a first name that it wouldn't raise eyebrows (think Madison. Not the name in question, but that sort of thing).

Then I remembered that that name was DH's last name, and therefore the baby's. I vetoed that one myself :)

I'm having a problem now if we have another and it's a boy. We have a name we both like. And we have a really hard time agreeing on names, so this is special. But it has the same first letter as DD2's name! Can't have that! Then I can't refer to them by their initials!

Edited by ocelotmom