Menu

s/o names did you want names for dc that dh said NO WAY or vice versa

I vetoed Crispin and Audrey.

Dh vetoed Sunshine and Rainbeau (which I suggested only because he said Crispin and Audrey).

When I was much much younger, like 11 or 12, I was intent on naming my children Rain Beau, Sky Blue, Forest Green. My husband is very glad I lost interest in those names over the years.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hadassah.

Love that name. I'd still use it and Dassah for short.

!

That is my niece's name and she is often called Dassah. :) Although, I must admit many members of the family thought my sister was crazy when she picked that name.

Edited by Meandering Mom

I thought it would be really cool to give our kids the middle names; Trouble, or Danger.

But dh said no.

But he no longer remembers saying it. :glare:

So I could have had kids who could honestly say,

Trouble is my middle name!

Or

Danger is my middle name!

Cute. :)

We're not even going to talk about the boys' names suggestions DH proposed for our younger two boys.

DH and I had no trouble agreeing on DD's name -- long before she was even conceived. We have never again agreed on a girl's name. I think, after discussing it through three pregnancies, he might be okay with Katherine. How can you only be "okay" with Katherine?? It's beautiful! Or Abigail?? How can you decline the lovely Julia, or Elizabeth, or Alice, or the myriad of other gorgeous names that I've proposed? Madness. ;)

We've pretty much seen eye to eye on boy names. We were expecting our last child to be a girl and had the name Elyse all picked out. Then "she" came out as a boy and we had to somewhat quickly pick a name. I don't know if I could have ever gotten "approval" for the name we chose if we had known it was a boy and had months to debate it. So in that way I am glad the ultrasound mislead us. :001_smile:

Now girl names, I have a whole list I would love to use that my husband will always nix.

Hero

Eustacia

Beatrice

Enid

Merrin

Lane

Siobhan

Gwendolyn or Gweneth

Grayling

I am sure there is more but can not remember them now.

Edited by Meandering Mom
added name to list

Dh vetoed Benjamin and I said no way to Brock. All I could see was a playground full of children making chicken clucking noises.

To be honest, it is a good thing ds was a boy because I absolutely hate the name we had picked for him if he was a girl. I don't know what we were thinking.

For a girl he nixed Francesca (which I have always loved).

DH has vetoed Duncan and Verity. If we have two more daughters I think he will consent to Verity in the end, but he will never agree for Duncan. I have managed to avoid having to use Gunther so far, but may use it as a middle name if we have another boy.

Oh, Verity was another name that I loved and dh didn't. From the Connie Willis book.

Wendi

We agreed on girls' names both times I was pregnant, but boys' names were a whole other ball game. (We never found out whether we were having a boy or girl ahead of time.) We didn't even have one boys' name we agreed on until I was 9 months pregnant and held him hostage until we found a name in a baby name book we agreed on. (Our oldest son's name is Jude.)

For our second son I loved the name Gannon. DH liked Calvin. Once our son was born we went with his pick (but I chose the middle names).

Our daughter was adopted at age 13, but many children from her country request a new "American" name when they are adopted. Problem was, we could not come up with one name we liked better than her given name. (Alina) Fortunately, she really, really wanted to keep her name - we were so happy!

If we ever have another boy, I have decreed that we will name him Wheeler or Tobin. Both are family names.

Hadassah.

Love that name. I'd still use it and Dassah for short.

Dh likes classic names.

We're in the middle of the debate again. Poor Olivia didn't get named until she was almost a week old, and even then I didn't become truly happy about it until about the last six months or so. It was a compromise. Neither of us got our favorite names.

He wanted Isabella. I love the name. It's beautiful. It's also insanely trendy, reminds me of vampires, and means Elizabeth, which we've used twice already.

Let's be honest. It's getting harder now. This will be the ninth daughter. I almost wish we had used dreadful names for middle names, or at least names we felt luke-warm about. Now I think of all the great names I wasted on middle names!

You should start a college fund. Everyone who pays a dollar gets a name in the hat.... :) You don't have an Emily.... or...... You almost need at least 2 syllables to go with your name... :) Hmmm:) I'm sure you'll find a lovely one.... The Haddasah I know is called "Haddy"....

Or Abigail?? How can you decline the lovely Julia, or Elizabeth, or Alice, or the myriad of other gorgeous names that I've proposed? Madness. ;)

I love Alice! I was so mad when I first read Twilight, because Alice, Jasper and Edward were some of my favorite names. Stephanie Meyer ruins everything.

Dh vetoed Benjamin and I said no way to Brock. All I could see was a playground full of children making chicken clucking noises.

I went to elementary school with multiple Brocks and this never happened. I won't tell your DH though. :) I also went to elementary school with a Rocky Cannon and he wasn't teased.

Edited by MrsBasil

Dh didn't come up with names. I came up with lots of names and he got to veto what he didn't like. Our boy name was always Matthew--never needed it. I liked Charles and Henry but he said there were too many Chucks and Charlies in the family and he just didn't like Henry. We now have a cat named Henry--he came with that name from the Humane Society, so I finally got my Henry.

I remember that I really liked the name Elanor for a girl. If I remember correctly, in The Lord of the Rings they go through a field of flowers that are called Elanor and Frodo ends up naming his little girl after them. I always thought it was beautiful and liked the spelling. But when I mentioned it to dh the image in his head was always Eleanor Roosevelt--a truly admirable woman, but he associated the name with unattractiveness.

I once imagined that I would name all of my children scriptural or gospel-related names. Then I actually met my husband. He nixed all of these for girls: Jordan, Cumorah (my favorite!), and Israel. (I know that is a man's name, but I didn't know that as a child when I first decided to name my daughter that. I was thinking of the nation of Israel--and if the USA is referred to as a "she", wouldn't other countries be feminine as well?)

I did keep my top boy name, though: Mahonri will be our next boy, with the nickname Ri (pronounced like the bread). My inlaws are in denial, but then they've always been under the mistaken impression that they have a say in the matter.

I did agree once to using dh's name if we had a boy, but then we had a girl. After that I said no. It's just too confusing, and I never really liked naming somebody after yourself.

He also liked Amy. I have nothing against the name, I just didn't want to name anyone that. But my grandma's name was Agnes, which I always wanted to use as a middle name, so I finally told him that we could name a girl Amy Agnes. He never mentioned the name Amy again! :lol:

We had picked out the name Celeste before we got married, but then his friends took him to a bar for his bachelor party and there was a Celeste working there, so then he didn't want to use it, which I'm fine with now. He also vetoed Serafina.

Husband was a big Guns 'N' Roses fan in high school. He floated a "baby name Axel/Axl?" trial balloon on Facebook.

His balloon was promptly shot down, in fairly hilarious and violent fashion, by pretty much everyone we know, but especially the ladies. (THANKS LADIES!)

Second son (due Jan 2013) will have a nice reasonable family name. :)

Edited by kubiac

Husband was a big Guns 'N' Roses fan in high school. He floated an "baby name Axel/Axl?" trial balloon on Facebook.

His balloon was promptly shot down, in fairly hilarious and violent fashion, by pretty much everyone we know, but especially the ladies. (THANKS LADIES!)

Second son (due Jan 2013) will have a nice reasonable family name. :)

We have an Axel! :D (And not after Axl Rose, just liked the name. when I first called my husband to suggest the name, I prefaced it with, "I'm going to suggest a name and the first thing you're going to do is laugh. But go past that and think about it." In the end he was more in to it than I). Axel's quite a dude. Funny thing -- within a month of having him, I heard two other little kids being called by their mamas, "Axel! Come here -- " Haven't met another one since though and he's now 4-1/2.

We have an Axel! :D (And not after Axl Rose, just liked the name. when I first called my husband to suggest the name, I prefaced it with, "I'm going to suggest a name and the first thing you're going to do is laugh. But go past that and think about it." In the end he was more in to it than I). Axel's quite a dude. Funny thing -- within a month of having him, I heard two other little kids being called by their mamas, "Axel! Come here -- " Haven't met another one since though and he's now 4-1/2.

LOL, I was just coming back here to apologize to all the inevitable moms of Axels and Axls. Names with Xs are very trendy and I was never that opposed, but oooh, the ladies were NOT having it.

Dh's tactic was to repeat names he knew I'd veto (as if he's really attached to the name) and then to pop in the name he really likes :001_smile:... so we don't have a Scarlett or a Saige or a Saffron..

I liked Claire and Ayla, but those got vetoed by him.

Our boy name would be Joseph Benjamin, a family name.

The girls have family names as their second names.

I vetoed:

Ebeneezer (Eben for short)

Abraham

Tucker

He vetoed:

Nathaniel

Gabriel

Marion for a girl (irrelevant since we have only had two boys)

Mostly we agreed. We both fell in love with each name we ultimately picked. No compromises. We have a Tobias Avery (Toby) and a Phineas Aaron (Finn).

General plan if we ever have a daughter is Etta Julianne. Or Theresa or Josephine.

If we were to have another son we like things like Theodore, Franklin, Vincent.

For boys names I wanted Cole, Cade, or Cullen. (It was before I was aware of Twilight)

For girl names I wanted Bridget, Bronwyn, or Delia.

DH hated all of them.

A girl name I have always loved is Ainsley. DH doesn't remember me suggesting it when I was pregnant with DD and swears that if I had, DD would be named that.

For boys names I wanted Cole, Cade, or Cullen. (It was before I was aware of Twilight)

For girl names I wanted Bridget, Bronwyn, or Delia.

DH hated all of them.

A girl name I have always loved is Ainsley. DH doesn't remember me suggesting it when I was pregnant with DD and swears that if I had, DD would be named that.

My baby is Ainsley :) I love it!

DH has vetoed Duncan and Verity. If we have two more daughters I think he will consent to Verity in the end, but he will never agree for Duncan. I have managed to avoid having to use Gunther so far, but may use it as a middle name if we have another boy.

Have you read the Poldark books? There is a Verity in them.

I vetoed a lot on dhĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s list. But to be fair he had things like Bono.

In the end what worked for our first one was that we both made separate lists and then compared. There were very few names that came up on both lists. Then we talked about the few and picked the one we liked best. For our next two the names were both my suggestion first but he liked them both. We picked pretty quickly and didntĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ make long lists.

This is what we did.

I thought it would be really cool to give our kids the middle names; Trouble, or Danger.

But dh said no.

Or

My brother has convinced his wife to the middle name Danger for their son.

My dh vetoed Magaret, which is still a favorite. I would have called her Maggie.

If we had a boy, I thought Ian was the perfect name to go with our last name. DH didn't like it and had some Liam's among the cousins and so he thought it was too similar. There are tons of boy cousins or really 2nd cousins, so it seemed like ever name was already taken. He also vetoed naming a boy after himself. DH is a Junior, so if we had a boy he'd be a III.

My Mom wanted us to name DD Eli if she was a boy. My cousin name his son Eli just 1 year later, so it is a good thing we didn't do that.

My DH didn't have any names that I vetoed.

My dh had an immovable "none of my cousins" rule, too, and some of my favorite boy names were on his cousin list :glare:.

I wanted to name a dd "_________(feminissima first name) Georg" because we always use family names as middle names and I have Georg ancestors and I thought it was very appealing, like George Sand and George Eliot, but nooooooo.

:D

Axel was on our short list, but we went with Sebastian, instead. ;)

My dh really, really disliked any non-traditional name. He shot down (in flames) Perrin for a boy and Zoe for a girl.

I think we only agreed on Kelsie (my oldest) because he was being nice since my mom had just passed away and I wanted something a little different to go with my mom's middle name. Of course Kelsie is VERY common now :glare:

I just gave up the fight altogether with the twins. He picked the names out for them 100%. Thankfully I didn't hate them..lol.

I had ALWAYS wanted an Evelyn, but DH vetoed it because it's his step-grandmother's name. He said it just made him think of an old lady. :glare:

I vetoed Azrael, as I did not like the thought of name my beautiful little baby boy after the Archangel of Death (his main reason for loving it) and he vetoed Victor, as he thought it would put too much pressure on our son to essentially BE the victor? In the end though, I love the names our children have and so does my DH, so I'm happy we compromised!

I have a friend who wanted to use the middle name Lee for her son, a family name. They finally, after months, decided on the name Brock for their boy. They had it all set until one night she said she sat straight up in bed and was like BROCK LEE! WE CAN'T NAME OUR SON BROCK LEE! LOL. Say it out loud. :) His name now is Benjamin Lee.

But dh said no.

Or

I knew some twins named Rip and Blaze. They lived up to their names - it was a little scary!

DH nixed Frances for our dd3, who is Charlotte. I love the name Frances so much that I used it for one of Charlotte's dolls. Bwa ha!

I actually have a whole list of names I love that dh wasn't fond of for our kids, which is one reason I love WTM baby names threads. Maybe someone else's kid will get the name mine would have had. :nopity::D

I do love our girls' names, though, and, to be fair, he agreed immediately to Piper, which was my first choice for dd2.

Wolf and I talked about naming Boo 'Benjamin'.

I like the full name...dislike the short versions. Benji? Ack! One of Wolf's best friends is 'Benny' and I dislike that too.

Honestly, we've never really had issues w/names. I picked out Tazzie's first, Wolf wanted 'Wolf' as a middle name, and it worked.

I had Princess' name picked out in case Tazzie had been a girl.

Boo, Wolf announced that he wanted to pick out his name. He picked a name I loved, and I insisted on using both his first name and his grandfather's first name as middle names.

We didn't even have a girl's name picked out for Boo. :lol:

But dh said no.

Or

I was once talking with a labor and delivery nurse about names she hears in the course of her job. She said the worst ones were twin boys named Thor and Slayer Gomez. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I LOVE the name Mary for a girl, and Solomon for a boy. Both were vetoed quickly.

I have always loved the name Sarah, but our last name is Sera, so it wasn't happening.

My mom kept teasing us to name DD Kay Sarah...

Believe it or not, I have a friend named Sara who married a man whose last name is Sera. So now she's Sara Ann Sera.

I liked Owen and Aidan, but dh vetoed both of those.

He liked David, but I vetoed it because I dated a David for a year, and that just seemed creepy to me.

For ds1, we went with dh's grandfather's middle name (his grandfather went by his middle name). For ds2, we didn't exactly name him after anyone, but we both know really nice people with the same name.

ETA: Ds1's middle name is dh's father's first name. Ds2's middle name is my maternal grandmother's maiden name.