Menu

Need encouragement..or just call me crazy!

anmom

We start our new year in January, so I have been spending a lot of time working on lesson plans. I am attempting to have them all done for the year so that I dont have to mess with them again, but I am starting to get overwelmed with all of it.

We use curriculum from several different places, some of which comes with its own scheduled out plans. But, me being me, I would prefer to have everything in one document, printed out so that I dont have to flip between books. But, I feel like it is taking forever transfering it all into 1 master document and then adding my own stuff!

Am I crazy and just adding too much work for myself? How do those of you who lesson plan do yours?

I know some dont lesson plan at all, but I would like to say that I feel much more confident and structured if I have a plan.

Fwiw, I hate having different schedules in different books. It drives me crazy!

I transfer most of it into one book per kid. Takes forever....but it is worth it in thee end....

I think this is what I need to hear...that it is worth it in the end. Because, right now, Im not haveing fun!

I do the whole year at once too. I take the month of August off and that's all I work on.

If you buy the grammar plans (for example) and want to add more, just print out the plans & write on the plans what you want to add. This can save some time.

I also work on one subject at a time. So I will do the whole year of literature before moving on to grammar. This seems to streamline a little too. It is time consuming, but I also make a materials/book list for each week. Each week I order the books from the library I will need for the week 2 weeks from that day. I also make sure I have all the materials on hand when we do our weekly shopping.

I find that in August I have the time to work on it. Week to week, I'm just too exhausted to plan. It's really handy to be able to wake up on any given day & have everything ready to go!

I use HST+, putting all the individual lesson plans into the Lesson Plans section. These have no dates attached. Each week, I click on the assignments I want to do and click the "Submit" button, which puts them on the schedule. I could print from here, but I am insane and make a Word document that's similar to a Sonlight schedule but color coded by kid, and I just plug things in from HST+ (it IS helpful to me to copy from that, which is already done, so I don't have to open all the books and figure things out - I just look at the lesson plans in HST+).

I could not plan out the whole year in advance with dates attached. Some weeks we need to push things out another week. Some weeks, my son already understands a topic fully and doesn't need 5 lessons on it. We do our history (Sonlight) as scheduled, but everything else, I pick and choose each week what to do. Having it all in lesson plans in HST+ is super helpful though, because I can see where we are in each subject - there is an end in sight. ;)

I use HST+, putting all the individual lesson plans into the Lesson Plans section. These have no dates attached. Each week, I click on the assignments I want to do and click the "Submit" button, which puts them on the schedule. I could print from here, but I am insane and make a Word document that's similar to a Sonlight schedule but color coded by kid, and I just plug things in from HST+ (it IS helpful to me to copy from that, which is already done, so I don't have to open all the books and figure things out - I just look at the lesson plans in HST+).

I could not plan out the whole year in advance with dates attached. Some weeks we need to push things out another week. Some weeks, my son already understands a topic fully and doesn't need 5 lessons on it. We do our history (Sonlight) as scheduled, but everything else, I pick and choose each week what to do. Having it all in lesson plans in HST+ is super helpful though, because I can see where we are in each subject - there is an end in sight. ;)

:iagree: It is so easy to do in HST+! I put in almost all my lessons without assigning dates. Then each weekend I just submit them to the student assignment grid, and the computer automatically assigns the dates. It also puts both kids' assignments together on the same calendar and color codes them so I can easily see what they have to do.

I do it myself one subject at a time for content subjects. I could never figure out HST. I don't think it is very user friendly. Yes it is a lot of work, but it is so worth it right now when all I have to do is reserve library books and pull materials out of binders and I am ready to go each day. I start out with my favorite subject to plan and just go from there. I usually have materials by April or so, am planning by May, and finish up over the summer during summer camps. :)