Menu

Felt food....a question about felt

If one is going to make something with felt (in this case felt food for Dd to play with) is 100% wool felt better than the polyester blends or acrylic felt? Is wool felt resistant to the ratty-felt look over time, or does it become ratty looking after use too?

I'm just trying to work out whether the extra expense is worthwhile or if it's unnecessary. Anyone with experience who wouldn't mind sharing? I'm going shopping tomorrow, so no real rush. :D

For that use I would go with a synthtic fibre. You need something tough for daily play. Wool felt would not be as durable, would be much more apt to stain, and would always be susceptible to damage by certain insects while in storage. I would also think it a crying shame to use wool felt like that when it coulb be used in ways where it's properties could really shine like lining knit mittens ot hats. :)

This is the perfect situation for tough synthetic fibres.

I regularly make felt food and use a wool/rayon blend or 100% wool. The food I made years ago still looks as good as new. :D I'm actually in the middle of my "Christmas orders" now.

The synthetic felt food I bought from Etsy when my oldest was young looked beaten within a few months. I tossed it and remade the pieces.

The only downside to 100% wool felt in my experience is that it can be pretty tough to sew through if you're using multiple layers. I'm especially thinking of a banana peel I made that was lined. When I stitched it all together, that was four layers of wool!

I buy my wool blends here: http://www.prairiepointjunction.com/woolfeltcentral.html

Thanks for the replies!

For that use I would go with a synthtic fibre. You need something tough for daily play. Wool felt would not be as durable, would be much more apt to stain, and would always be susceptible to damage by certain insects while in storage. I would also think it a crying shame to use wool felt like that when it coulb be used in ways where it's properties could really shine like lining knit mittens ot hats. :)

This is the perfect situation for tough synthetic fibres.

I do sew/knit/crochet...but don't make mittens. Hats I have made, but I don't think we need any new hats this year. So, by order of elimination, we have to make felt food. :D

I regularly make felt food and use a wool/rayon blend or 100% wool. The food I made years ago still looks as good as new. :D I'm actually in the middle of my "Christmas orders" now.

The synthetic felt food I bought from Etsy when my oldest was young looked beaten within a few months. I tossed it and remade the pieces.

The only downside to 100% wool felt in my experience is that it can be pretty tough to sew through if you're using multiple layers. I'm especially thinking of a banana peel I made that was lined. When I stitched it all together, that was four layers of wool!

I buy my wool blends here: http://www.prairiepointjunction.com/woolfeltcentral.html

I don't mind if it's tough to sew, although I'll probably have to start wearing protective gloves. I've been experimenting on the needle-poking already and it hurts. I can't imagine that will improve with a tougher material to sew through! :001_smile:

The important thing to me right now is getting rid of the beaten look. Thanks for the link. I'll check that site out and see what I can find.