Menu

Kids sneaking food -- at the end of my rope!

Just want to add that all oatmeal is whole grain, including instant. Nothing is removed from the groat to make it instant; the entire grain is just rolled flat and chopped up so it cooks faster. Yes, most flavored instant has lots of sugar, but you can find plain packets. We go with regular rolled because that's the texture we all prefer. I add dried coconut while cooking, sweeten it with a little maple syrup, and top it with butter and cream.

On oatmeal days, nobody is hungry for a long time afterwards.

http://www.wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/identifying-whole-grain-products

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just want to add that all oatmeal is whole grain, including instant. Nothing is removed from the groat to make it instant; the entire grain is just rolled flat and chopped up so it cooks faster. Yes, most flavored instant has lots of sugar, but you can find plain packets. We go with regular rolled because that's the texture we all prefer. I add dried coconut while cooking, sweeten it with a little maple syrup, and top it with butter and cream.

On oatmeal days, nobody is hungry for a long time afterwards.

http://www.wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/identifying-whole-grain-products

All oatmeal is whole grain, but the rolling and chopping that make it cook faster also make it digest faster.

To the OP, looks like there has been lots of good discussion and ideas, although I haven't read the whole thread. One thing that I did wonder is if the girls eating a bag of apples was part of a game--my kids do sometimes take large quantities of food out of the pantry when then are playing. One game they call "lost princes and princesses"--they pretend they are lost in the woods for months at a time, and of course they have to have food with them to eat. They would do something like taking and eating an entire bag of apples under those circumstances.This particular game also started after a recent move, so the dislocation might have inspired it.

One thing that kinda makes me cringe on this board though is that whenever someone mentions an issue with their kids, the answer is often "the kid is misbehaving". I wish my kids would do everything I want and make my life totally easy, but you know, they are individuals with their own minds and needs too.
:grouphug:

I agree with all of this. I actually slice them up (I don't peel them) and give a spoonful of peanut butter with them. That helps fill the kids up and slicing them helps make sure they eat it all.

If it is about budget, then that may be a place where people here can help. If the OP has Aldi's or a Dollar General, that might help. Shopping sales can help. Using frugal shopping lists and menus like the ones on Hillbilly Housewife can help.

Do you only have parttime custody of N, is that why she isn't counted? You might periodically check on whether you qualify for foodstamps, guidelines change at least once a year.

Pre-screening tool:

http://www.snap-step1.usda.gov/fns/index.jsp

There are also programs to help make your home more energy efficient and lower your energy bills. a family of four qualifies if the earn below $46K/year. You can get help with your heating bills if your family of four makes up to $44k/year. Have you looked into anything like that? Anywhere you could cut the budget in other areas might help. http://www.benefits.gov/

I dont qualify for foodstamps. I dont need heating help- our heat is included in our rent. We can certainly move where theres cheaper rent (for ex the last apartment we lived in was $100 cheaper BUT 1 bedroom in a BAD part of town and farther from DHs work). Our electric is actually low- $30-50. We dont have a budget issue....DH and I sit down every 2weeks and write down what bills need to be paid, when and then how much is left after.

We went to the store tonight and spent $93. That will last until Nov 23 when its pay day again. ETA: We shop at IGA, Save A Lot and Kroger. Every once in a blue moon ill go to Meijer.

I have not read all the replies yet, just the first page but wanted to share my experience with this. My oldest does this. Usually it is treat type things like crackers not a bag of apples but he does not stop until the entire package of whatever is gone. I don't necessarily restrict foods, BUT I do expect to be asked, and limited to a reasonable amount. Food is expensive and I can't afford to have him eat it all in one sitting. He will eat an entire box of cereal and 2L of milk in a sitting and then an hour later work through an entire loaf of bread, 1.5 hours later he will eat a full carton of eggs. Then he does stupid crap like take the spaghetti into a room and break it into a million peices all over. I stopped buying a lot of things because he would take the whole thing for himself, wake in the middle of the night to take it etc (he told me when he knows certain things are in the house he can not stop thinking about them until he eats them all). I can't even make a birthday cake the night before because he will eat it in the night and the birthday child gets nothing. It is an ongoing, stressful struggle here. He will eat his way through what should be a week's worth of groceries for our family of 5 in 2 days meaning the rest of the week is pasta and canned soup. When I stopped buying cold cereal, crackers, etc He started stealing money to go buy them. If I have any coins or cash around he steals them to go to the grocery store and buy things(usually sweets and carbs), then he will sit down and eat the entire package before returning home. The last time he did this it was a package of 12 cinnamon buns, he ate all 12. Certain fruits and veggies I also can not buy because he eats them all. And heaven help the person that eats one before he has, he attacks them.

He is gaining a lot of weight as a result of all this. He used to be a skinny little thing and now he is almost 140lbs. He is a binge eater. It is not healthy, it is psychological though none of the shrinks we have seen seem to care. They just say buy chains for the cupboards or don't buy those items he is more likely to steal.

The younger kids steal food too but with them I think it is more a matter of their eyes were bigger than their stomachs since what they steal is often wasted. They are improving as they get bigger.

I dont qualify for foodstamps. I dont need heating help- our heat is included in our rent. We can certainly move where theres cheaper rent (for ex the last apartment we lived in was $100 cheaper BUT 1 bedroom in a BAD part of town and farther from DHs work). Our electric is actually low- $30-50. We dont have a budget issue....DH and I sit down every 2weeks and write down what bills need to be paid, when and then how much is left after.

We went to the store tonight and spent $93. That will last until Nov 23 when its pay day again. ETA: We shop at IGA, Save A Lot and Kroger. Every once in a blue moon ill go to Meijer.

Oh, that is a tough budget. That is less than $7/day for 4 people, not counting the food pantry. Now I see much more clearly where you are coming from in terms of missing the food. Thank you for sharing that -- it puts a whole different perspective on your situation.

:grouphug:

I bet you have some little "grazers" in your house. I have a few like that and they drive me crazy. I just dole out food to them. For the smaller ones I will cut an apple or bananna in half, half now and half a hour from now when they ask again. People are different my dh will fill up his tank with a big meal and run almost all day but I need to eat small meals through the day to feel my best. I cut my costs by making a big batch of muffins or a big pot of popcorn and give small amounts through the day. My grazers eat all day long but it really does not add up to a ton of food per kid because it is small amounts. All of my kids are fit and trim, high energy kids. I do have a lock on my pantry so I can control what is eaten, my littles would clear out the cereal and chips if they were accessible. Don't worry you will figure it out :)

I haven't read all of the responses, but I did want to chime in and say (although someone surely has said it already) that I limit things, even healthy snacks because I am on a strict budget and once something is gone, it is gone. If they eat all the apples in one day, that might be all the fruit for two weeks. Not everyone has huge grocery budgets. :glare:

I haven't read all of the responses, but I did want to chime in and say (although someone surely has said it already) that I limit things, even healthy snacks because I am on a strict budget and once something is gone, it is gone. If they eat all the apples in one day, that might be all the fruit for two weeks. Not everyone has huge grocery budgets. :glare:

:iagree:

16 and 13. They rarely snack. I think that eating habits are a learned behavior. My kids eat 3 really good, healthy meals a day and are satisfied. It surprises me how many people think that snacking is a necessity. To each their own, but I just wanted to throw out there that it isn't necessarily a huge "to do" if you're not plying them with snacks, if that's not the home habit.

The OP's kids are 4, 6, & 7. That age needs snacks, especially the 4 yo. Their little stomachs just can't eat enough to tide them over for only 3 meals a day.

My 4.5 yo is a grazer, I'll admit that. His typical "schedule" is this. Up around 9 or 10 (yes he's a late sleeper). He eats breakfast, typically whatever his older brother has made (french toast, oatmeal, pancakes etc) or he has a BPJ sandwich and a glass of milk or water. He will have lunch at 11:30. Has a snack at preschool around 2:30, comes home and eats a snack with big sister when he gets home at 3:30. He'll have an apple or yogurt around 4:30/5. Dinner is at 6:30 he usually has 2-3 servings. Then he will eat again around 8. He's a skinny guy, very active. No way could he get by on 3 meals a day.

Jpoy, how is it going with the snack drawer?

no issues today with food shortage. ;) We filled the drawer. Here is a list of what we have inside:

6 Little Hug juices

2 sandwich baggies cheerios

2 "Fruities On the go"

8 gummy snacks

2 sandwich baggies of peach candy slices (those gummy type things in the candy aisle)

8 granola bars

4 cereal bags

2 sandwich baggies tortilla chips

1/2 gal bag of carrots

1 tupperware container of celery

8 dehydrated fruit strips

4 sandwich baggies oyster crackers

1/2 bag bagels

2 pk poptarts

2 travel size peanut butter

4 sandwich baggies of choc chip cookies (2 cookies each)

6 sandwich baggies homemade popcorn

DH and I sat the girls down and told them "This is your snack drawer, you can get into it when you feel you need to, but once its gone, its gone. Anything out of the fridge or cabinets you need to ask first."

ETA: Its always been a rule they need to eat at the table.

You might look up "food stamp challenge menu" on google. A lot of people have taken on the challenge, including famous chefs. They have a lot of ideas of how to incorporate the protein and fat that growing bodies need in order to feel satiated, but do it ona very tight budget.

You might look up "food stamp challenge menu" on google. A lot of people have taken on the challenge, including famous chefs. They have a lot of ideas of how to incorporate the protein and fat that growing bodies need in order to feel satiated, but do it ona very tight budget.

a quick google search shows thats less money that i spend now. I spend about $13/dy

http://www.foodbankcenc.org/site/PageServer?pagename=getinvolved_FNSChallenge - $4/day

http://www.milehimama.com/real-food/food-stamp-challenge/ - $2/dy

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36513629/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/chefs-take-food-stamp-menu-challenge/#.UJ9H5Ic0WSo - $68/wk

Edited by Jpoy85
added links

You might look up "food stamp challenge menu" on google. A lot of people have taken on the challenge, including famous chefs. They have a lot of ideas of how to incorporate the protein and fat that growing bodies need in order to feel satiated, but do it on a very tight budget.

There was a fat thread here about how the food stamp challenge was not accurate in how little people actually get in food stamps. Also, I'm not finding actual menus, just people taking about how great they are for having to suffer for a week.

The best and most realistic site I've found for frugal meals would be http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/. She has a menu plan for a month on very little money. I'd link to it, but I can't find it right now.

Here - I've found a few menus. They are... just switching off meals each day, so you eat the same thing for breakfast every day and then switch what you eat for lunch and dinner. Who told them oatmeal singles are less expensive than regular oatmeal? *crazy*

http://www.foodbankcenc.org/site/DocServer/FNSChallenge_SampleMenu1.pdf?docID=4281

http://www.foodbankcenc.org/site/DocServer/FNSChallenge_SampleMenu2.pdf?docID=4282

To the OP, it sounds like the snack drawer is going to be great for y'all.

Edited by Elizabeth in MN

I wasn't trying to talk about food stamps here, I was suggesting it as a way to easily access other frugal menus. But, I found lots of menus. For example, this blogger did it for a long time and has loads of menus posted. http://www.milehimama.com/real-food/food-stamp-challenge/

I will post some more, editing as I go. My iPad isn't liking it when I leave, poke around in another tab and come back; it keeps eating my post.

Eta:

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/blogs/Food-News/Mario-Batali-Food-Stamp-Challenge-Menu

http://kosheronabudget.com/snap-food-stamp-challenge-the-vegetarian-based-menu-plan/

http://marianhd.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/food-stamp-challenge-menu.pdf

http://simplyinspiredbymegan.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/snap-menu-plan-1-week.pdf

A general frugal cooking site:

http://www.5dollardinners.com/

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I think the goal is to serve as much "whole foods" as you can. Processed foods are often cheaper but come with the high cost of health problems and the financial impact that can have on a family.

Thats just it, I dont buy that stuff. I dont buy TV dinners, Little Debbie snacks, frozen pizzas, pop, etc.

There was a fat thread here about how the food stamp challenge was not accurate in how little people actually get in food stamps. Also, I'm not finding actual menus, just people taking about how great they are for having to suffer for a week.

The best and most realistic site I've found for frugal meals would be http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/. She has a menu plan for a month on very little money. I'd link to it, but I can't find it right now.

Here - I've found a few menus. They are... just switching off meals each day, so you eat the same thing for breakfast every day and then switch what you eat for lunch and dinner. Who told them oatmeal singles are less expensive than regular oatmeal? *crazy*

http://www.foodbankcenc.org/site/DocServer/FNSChallenge_SampleMenu1.pdf?docID=4281

http://www.foodbankcenc.org/site/DocServer/FNSChallenge_SampleMenu2.pdf?docID=4282

To the OP, it sounds like the snack drawer is going to be great for y'all.

I dont need help with frugal meals but thank you. We generally do meal plan. Sometimes we get a bit off track and need something quick that isnt the best, but we do meal plan. Ill give you whats on the calendar for the next week:

Sunday:

B: Waffles w/fruit

L: Pizza (we are going skating with the scout troop and its AYCE)

D: Steak Stirfry

Monday:

B: Cheerios w/milk or OJ

L: PB&J Sandies w/veggies or fruit and cookies

D: Going out for our anniversary (have money set aside for it) Kids will eat at my moms

Tuesday:

B: Oatmeal w/fruit

L: Soup

D: Crockpot meal

Wednesday:

B: Breakfast Roll Ups

L: Spaghetti Os w/bread

D: Sloppy Joes w/homemade fries

Thursday:

B: BLE (rather than BLT) sandies

L: salads

D: Crockpot meal

Friday:

B: Cheerios w/fruit

L: PB&J sandies w/veggies or fruit

D: Chicken w/veggies

and of course snacks and dessert. Thats whats on the chart for this week. It may change but its a guideline. **Im not asking for help with it, i was just posting to give you an idea of what we plan out.

Thats just it, I dont buy that stuff. I dont buy TV dinners, Little Debbie snacks, frozen pizzas, pop, etc.

Jean is talking more about stuff like this:

6 Little Hug juices

2 "Fruities On the go"

8 gummy snacks

2 sandwich baggies of peach candy slices (those gummy type things in the candy aisle)

8 granola bars

4 cereal bags

1/2 bag bagels

2 pk poptarts

Most of that list is heavily processed. I never buy gummy snacks or candy or pop tarts to give my kids as snacks.

I dont need help with frugal meals but thank you. We generally do meal plan. Sometimes we get a bit off track and need something quick that isnt the best, but we do meal plan. Ill give you whats on the calendar for the next week:

I guess since you were complaining about your kids eating a bag of apples that you received from the food bank and how little money you had to make it until next payday and were at the end of your rope, people assumed you were looking for advice of some kind. What kind of advice did you expect? :confused:

Jean is talking more about stuff like this:

6 Little Hug juices

2 "Fruities On the go"

8 gummy snacks

8 granola bars

4 cereal bags

1/2 bag bagels

2 pk poptarts

Most of that list is heavily processed. I never buy gummy snacks or candy or pop tarts to give my kids as snacks.

I guess since you were complaining about your kids eating a bag of apples that you received from the food bank and how little money you had to make it until next payday and were at the end of your rope, people assumed you were looking for advice of some kind. What kind of advice did you expect? :confused:

Im sorry every family is different. You may not buy those things but I do. The bolded is what i consider the more healthy of the options. Are they fruits and veggies? No, but id rather give them cheerios than candy bars. Id rather give them a "processed" cereal bar than mcdonalds. ETA: and some of that is from the pantry in which i CANT choose. If they tell me "poptarts or grits" im going to choose poptarts since i know no one will eat grits.

I wanted someone to offer a suggestion for how to stop them from taking food without asking. Someone suggested a drawer/cabinet and im doing that.

I dont want to fight about this. I have suggestions and im trying it.

Im sorry every family is different. You may not buy those things but I do. The bolded is what i consider the more healthy of the options. Are they fruits and veggies? No, but id rather give them cheerios than candy bars. Id rather give them a "processed" cereal bar than mcdonalds. ETA: and some of that is from the pantry in which i CANT choose. If they tell me "poptarts or grits" im going to choose poptarts since i know no one will eat grits.

I understand that there are times you don't have a lot of options. Some of us are just trying to get you to think outside of your box, not fight with you. My kids all eat grits. Have you ever made them?

I wanted someone to offer a suggestion for how to stop them from taking food without asking. Someone suggested a drawer/cabinet and im doing that.

What I was trying to convey (along with Jean and others) is that certain food make people feel full or satiated and others don't. Simple carbs like gummy candies will not make them feel full as long as...say...celery with PB and raisins or apples and a few cheese cubes. We know that feeding them better will help them not feel hungry and lead to not taking food without asking. People were trying to get to the root of the problem instead of applying a band-aid. But, if you aren't receptive, then you aren't receptive. I just thought I'd try to explain people's reasoning.

HOnestly, I think you have gotten a lot of good suggestions. I don't think anyone is trying to be mean, either. I do think your kids snacks are pretty carb heavy. I am not sure what is coming from the pantry, but your kids will still be hungry if their breakfast is cheerios and fruit. There is little protein there. IF their snack is then carbs they will continue to be hungry. I think others are just pointing out that it is more nutritionally sound to add more fats and proteins to a kids diet. Kids NEED fats for their brains to function. For the same price of the bin candy you could get whole wheat pretzels. For the price of a bag of bagels you could get a couple bags of carrots.

I am always alarmed by parents who punish for food stealing.

I think others are trying, in a nice and subtle way to give you a biology lesson. Kids bodies need more whole nutrition.

I think you sound like a great mom who was just asking for advice. Hang in there!