Menu

So how do you schedule/combine multiple math programs?

PentecostalMom

First you need to know why you want to supplement. I use one book as the spine & then add in extra material from one or 2 other books when I think they teach something more thoroughly, when DD needs extra practice, or when there's something not covered in our primary text.

We are doing RS B during "school time" in the mornings. While I'm making dinner in the eveinings, the kids sit down at the table and my son rotates betwen K-2 Geography worksheets and Miquon. If it's Miquon, we talk over the sheet, then he tries to do it on his own. The two maths don't line up in any way, I just like that Miquon gives a fun, big picture feel to math.

We do both MEP and Singapore. It works because she flies through math so quickly. Rather than advance her that quickly (she has a high frustration level), we finish one semester of one and move on to the next semester in the other. Also, if she hits a wall with one, we will drop it in favor of the other.

We also do at least some math each weekday, school or no, so we have extra time.

We do both MEP and Singapore. It works because she flies through math so quickly. Rather than advance her that quickly (she has a high frustration level), we finish one semester of one and move on to the next semester in the other. Also, if she hits a wall with one, we will drop it in favor of the other.

We also do at least some math each weekday, school or no, so we have extra time.

We do this as well, with BA and SM. I tried doing both simultaneously, but realized this was a better fit for my DD.

I don't schedule. DS is just the sort that needs an idea introduced and then to be left alone with it for a while rather than to practice it ad nauseam (it's a short journey for him). That results in skipping a lot. The benefit for him of multiple programs is coming at the math from different directions and seeing it presented differently which enables him to get some more formal review and practice (to satisfy me) even while cutting out a lot of each program individually.

Personally I'd prefer just one program and a single supplement and if I figure out how to do that without math descending into a living h3ll (again) OR me being anxious that he's not getting a strong enough grasp of ideas before he moves on to a new idea, I'm doing it.

We do this as well, with BA and SM. I tried doing both simultaneously, but realized this was a better fit for my DD.

So are you doing two full programs every year?

For DS, I never scheduled math. He usually used one program for a few days or weeks, then switched to something different when he got bored.

DD's main math program is MUS, and we do one lesson per week. We finish that on Wednesday or Thursday, then spend a day or two on a few different supplements. She also does LOF with DH on the weekend.

Like most other posters, I don't try to match up topics or anything. We do a Math in Focus (Singapore style) lesson and a MEP lesson every day. It only takes us about 30-40 minutes to do both. One day a week we do about 4 or 5 pages out of a Miquon book as well, but we don't do our MEP lesson that day.

We complete both in a year, but I know at some point that the work load will probably become too much in one or the other and we will have to choose, but right now it works.

I only schedule one math book per child. Period. :tongue_smilie: Beyond that we pull the extra out when needed, such as a kid hitting a wall in their main book, or just needing more review.

My grammar stage kids have workbooks that just review or reinforce what they already know. We use them for those days when I can't actively teach their math because Grandma's over, or we're running a lot, or whatever boogered up the day. Those days that would otherwise not have a scrap of math in them.

We also like to mix up Fridays and do something like Fred or a Zaccarro book instead.

I don't schedule. I'm not really using entire multiple programs. I have a main program and I like to find interesting books to supplement with. They are usually word/challenge type problems. Basically we use the main program daily and the supplements we do for a few minutes at the end. We might do more if the main thing went very quickly.

This. The only other thing is that when we hit a wall with what we're doing, we'll do supplements for awhile - maybe a week or two - then come back to what we were doing. It's usually magically easier.

Our main program is Saxon but I have a few supplementals for the summer or whenever we finish their book. However, with our current circumstances I think I want them to pull out some of those when I am unavailable to teach. Some of my supplementals need me to teach them (Ray's, Activities for the ALAbacus) or to make copies from (five minute drills) but the Singapore workbooks I bought from Carson-Dellosa are independent enough for them to do. These don't start until 2nd grade but that is usually the age when I would care more about them missing math for a few days to a week than in the lower grades. And there are always our Saxon flashcards they can do.....

But as for daily using two programs....I tried it and eventually I felt that was taking too much time from our day and we needed to focus more on getting all our language arts and other languages in....

If I used a program that was less thorough than Saxon (and/or took less time) I would consider supplements...

We use the MUS blocks, DVDs, and teachers manual with Saxon. Basically, when we come to something new in saxon I know is covered in Math u See (like the lesson on -9 facts, or x4 facts) I open up the MUS book to figure out how they teach it, pop in the dvd for that lesson, and use the MUS how-to lesson, with the saxon spine.

I don't know if it makes sense to anyone but me.... but it works great. Next year we are adding in BA as "fun friday" math.

So are you doing two full programs every year?

This is the first year because I had never considered accelerating until this year. I was/am torn about simply moving on in SM versus going through BA as well, especially since we do pretty much all of the IP books as a supplement too. But BA has some material that is completely new for DD so I want her to go through it. It's so different from what she is learning in SM that it worked better to finish 3A in one, then the other. We won't do all of BA though, because she is solid in her multiplication and division facts.