Menu

Told my mum about the baby. Sigh, name issues

It's probably older Aussies who would know such sayings as "Point Percy at the Porcelain", which is slang for "Drain the lizard", "Water the horses" etc.

I've worked out bush with blokes too much I guess.

Many townies do not know these sayings, particularly polite ladies. :lol:

Edited by Pod's mum

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably older Aussies who would know such sayings as "Point Percy at the Porcelain"' date=' which is slang for "Drain the lizard", "Water the horses" etc.

I've worked out bush with blokes too much I guess.

Many townies do not know these sayings, particularly polite ladies. :lol:[/quote']

Are you saying I'm not a polite lady? Or are you saying I'm old? :eek:

It's a free country Jen, you can call your baby whatever you like. I only thought it prudent to have you making an informed decision! Most Australians would shorten Persephone to Sef or Seffie unless you tell them to call her Penny or something else two syllables or less.

SW WA has six seasons, as does most of the country, but we are all still taught four seasons of equal length in kindergarten. Silly isn't it? I wonder if that will go out of fashion in my lifetime. Not that this is important to the decision making process.

Rosie

Not sure that it's regional Jen, DH and I just discussed it and he got Percy straight off the bat and hadn't read the previous comments here. He said he's heard it lots before. I'd go with a different nickname or just use her real name. Yes, it's different and she will probably have to spell it her whole life, but it is nice :)

It's not as if you are naming her something like "dresser drawer" or "apple core"! Seriously, I might be upset if MY mom expressed dislike for a name I had chosen because she would never do that...so if she did, there might actually be a good reason. But if my mom actually asked me to abort a baby? I'd never speak to her again and she'd never see my children! I think you lose the right to any respect when you talk like that. Unbelievable! Don't take advice from a crazy lady!

Brownie

I would not be happy name a child something his or her grandmother hated. In some cultures, Grandparents actually do the naming, and I think maybe that says something about the importance of that generational bond.

But if a grandmother hated all names and were ugly and demanding, then that changes things.

If your mother was normally supportive and rational I MIGHT take her feelings into consideration. But she sounds a bit um...unstable regarding your family and I wouldn't give it another thought. If it wasn't the name it would be something else.

:iagree: Yep. Absolutely.

Not sure that it's regional Jen, DH and I just discussed it and he got Percy straight off the bat and hadn't read the previous comments here. He said he's heard it lots before. I'd go with a different nickname or just use her real name. Yes, it's different and she will probably have to spell it her whole life, but it is nice :)

Darnnit!

One of the friends I asked about it who didn't know the slang texted me last night with a simple "asked DH, he knew, yikes!"

Problem with shortening it to Seph or Sephie is that will definitey people think her name is Stephanie. Also, we had a cat named Sif (after Thor's wife) and called her Siffy. On the other hand I don't want her to be associated with male genitalia.

I have never had name problems before.

Rosie - I do appreciate the head's up because we would have blindly gone into calling her Percy and then not known why people were making fun of it.

I, personally, won't consider a name that I've known my mom dislikes for a long time. Adam, for instance. I'm pretty sure she won't be thrilled with my list of boy names for future use, but I'm not asking her permission. Dh and I would choose a name and then tell her. She might not like it at first, but she will come around. So, I wouldn't go out of my way to name a kid with a name she dislikes, but I won't discard a name I like just because she wouldn't care for it.

With your mother? No one who suggested I abort even one of my children would ever be given any consideration on any subject again. Their opinion would not matter to me about anything ever again.

No offense but your mom sounds insane. I can't imagine reacting that way to a family member's name no matter what it was. Well, maybe if it was Pooperscooper or something. ;)

I love Persephone. I love the myth and I love the name. :) I hope you use it. And while I agree in theory with respecting your mother's opinions as your children's grandmother, anyone who asked me to get rid of my baby would forfeit any say in anything related to that child from that day forth.

So I finally told my mum about the new baby. She has never been happy for us and has actually asked me to get rid of each of them. However, this time she was more like, "okay I'm happy for you if that is what you want." Then I told her the name and she weepingly begged me not to name the baby what we have picked. She outright told me she will never call her either the full name nor the nickname, she will refuse to even tell people what her name is, that our daughter will be mocked and ridiculed her whole life.

My mother has disliked all but one of the names we have named our children, and actually for years referred to DS7 as "that one" because she didn't like his name but has recently started using it. She has never, however, reacted so violently to a name before. She was practically hyperventillating. It really threw me and when I texted DH (he is still in the USA but is coming home on Sunday) he was a little thrown too. I know some people in the other thread where I mentioned her name did not like it, but I don't think absolute panic was anyone's reaction.

Generally I live my life with a "whatever" attitude and don't really care about others' opinions but this as really thrown me. If someone in your immediate family reacted so intensely and negatively to a name would you consider changing it? Our last name is hyphenated four letters starting with R and then 6 letters starting with M. Mine (the r-one is not common), but DH's is.

(btw if you didn't see the other thread on middle names, her name is going to be Persephone. Our other girls have names from mythology and/or literature and this particular myth is one that has always 'spoken' to me).

If my mother was that incredibly selfish and manipulative, I honestly don't know that she'd be in my life. Wow. Persephone is a lovely name. (And, just imagine, I'm a conservative Christian. ) ;)

About my mom...she has Borderline Personality Disorder, so we just have to let a lot of things slide off our backs or we would go nuts ourselves. She actually doesn't remember making the "oh g-d, your not going to have it" comments for each kid. With DD3 we didn't tell her until I was 30 weeks along and she still said it, so I actually think it may just be a knee-jerk verbal tick she is not aware of.

As for the names, she has hated all my nieces names too and they are extremely common names (Em!ly, H0lly, and S@rah), she absolutely blew a gaskett when DB had picked Toby as a boys name if they had had a boy...not Tobias, Toby.

Just for fun I entered the kids' names into Nymbler and it gave me a list of names:

Waverly

Aurelia

Aurora

Elora (two friends have recently used this, but it was always on our list as Willow is one of my absolutely favourite movies, but I cannot use it now. No, cannot use Willow either because I had a dog named Willow)

Delilah

Veronica (which is DH's mom's name and she hated it because everyone called her Ronnie, so she went by Ann her middle name)

Vivian

Rowena

Autumn

Hazel

and then a bunch of ones like which are not at all common:

Druscilla

Esmerelda

Ursula

Persephone was also Kora, Kore, Proserpina or Proserpine in various versions. With the second two she could be Penny that way and still have the same name.

I like Sephie. And I kind of like girl nicknames that are also boy names (like Jules) and I don't think of the train, but I think everyone is probably right about the Percy thing, unfortunately. Silly Australians.

If you are looking for alternatves to Percy, Penny works for Persephone... or Poppy? Perry? Or starting with the S, but not 'Seffy' -- maybe Seffa? Sissy? Or going from the N, 'Niney'. OK, I realize that 'sissy' and 'ninny' aren't usually flattering, but in a loving family, good nicknames come in all shapes. Plus, some people have nicknames that aren't related to their names at all like, Missy, or Lovey or whatever. There's lots of 'outside the box' out there.

If you are looking for alternatves to Percy, Penny works for Persephone... or Poppy? Perry? Or starting with the S, but not 'Seffy' -- maybe Seffa? Sissy? Or going from the N, 'Niney'. OK, I realize that 'sissy' and 'ninny' aren't usually flattering, but in a loving family, good nicknames come in all shapes. Plus, some people have nicknames that aren't related to their names at all like, Missy, or Lovey or whatever. There's lots of 'outside the box' out there.

That's true. Our daughter, Lorelei's nickname is Pookie. Comes from a song we used to sing to her when she was tiny - "Lorelei Pookie-pie, you're the apple of my eye, cuz you oh so very rarely cry"

Probably end up going with Sef or some variation. Maybe Perry. Never thought of that. Have to run it by DH when we pick him up at the airport. DD5 just suggested Fenny. Not sure where she got it but kinda cute. Better than male genitalia at least.

So I finally told my mum about the new baby. She has never been happy for us and has actually asked me to get rid of each of them. However, this time she was more like, "okay I'm happy for you if that is what you want." Then I told her the name and she weepingly begged me not to name the baby what we have picked. She outright told me she will never call her either the full name nor the nickname, she will refuse to even tell people what her name is, that our daughter will be mocked and ridiculed her whole life.

My mother has disliked all but one of the names we have named our children, and actually for years referred to DS7 as "that one" because she didn't like his name but has recently started using it. She has never, however, reacted so violently to a name before. She was practically hyperventillating. It really threw me and when I texted DH (he is still in the USA but is coming home on Sunday) he was a little thrown too. I know some people in the other thread where I mentioned her name did not like it, but I don't think absolute panic was anyone's reaction.

Generally I live my life with a "whatever" attitude and don't really care about others' opinions but this as really thrown me. If someone in your immediate family reacted so intensely and negatively to a name would you consider changing it? Our last name is hyphenated four letters starting with R and then 6 letters starting with M. Mine (the r-one is not common), but DH's is.

(btw if you didn't see the other thread on middle names, her name is going to be Persephone. Our other girls have names from mythology and/or literature and this particular myth is one that has always 'spoken' to me).

I think it is lovely, your Mom isn't being very rational or nice. :grouphug::grouphug:

And in Australia, F@nny does not mean your behind.

You've jumped straight from from male to female 'parts'.

Those Aussies do make it hard for you don't we.

My kid's nicknames have not been derivations of their names.

Their names have remained full and the nicknames just arrived by themselves.

One will.