Menu

x/p might be a weird question

Nakia

but it's been gnawing at me so I want to ask it. We are in the process of having my middle evaluated for ADD and LDs. I posted about it here. I have been wondering if there's any kind of "medical" stuff I should get ruled out as we are preparing to do the test for ADD/LDs. I'm taking her for a vision exam with a developmental vision optometrist this month.

History: She does have environmental allergies and allergy-induced asthma. She is tiny and has been 5% for height and 5% and below for weight for years. She barely grew for a couple of years, but then last year when her allergies and asthma were diagnosed and treated, she started growing and has gained 5 lbs and 1 inch in a year and a half (huge for her!). She's still little, but she is growing. She eats a very healthy diet. She is active and very athletic.

This is a list of anything weird-ish that's she been having lately: She has vague physical complaints off and on. She complains her stomach hurts from time to time, but nothing consistent. She gets motion sickness easily so I think she just has a sensitive stomach. She has been having upper abdominal pain/left lower chest pain, very vaguely, off and on for a couple of weeks, but she can't really pinpoint it or describe it to me. It's usually associated with either a big meal or when her chest is a little tight with her asthma so it's hard to figure out what's what. She's having occasional headaches with reading hence the appt for the eye exam. Other than that, she's very very healthy.

I'm just trying to list it all here so maybe you all can help me brainstorm. I know my ped will order any kind of bloodwork that I'd like to have done, if I feel like something's going on. I, of course, don't want Emma to have to have blood work. I'd really just like to cover all my bases. I'm almost been wondering about celiac. I don't know why but that's in the back of my head for some reason. Is there anything that might resemble/worse ADD/LD symptoms?

Yes, I am feeling a little obsessed. I'm okay with you all telling me that I need to chill and just do the other tests. :D I'm doing them either way, just wondering if I need to do anything else at all. Just trying to be a good momma. :001_smile:

ETA: She's had a weird rash off and on around her mouth and now her elbows and knees are itchy and kinda scaly. I was thinking the cold weather. But who knows? I'm a nurse but can't think straight when I'm trying to figure out my own kids. She tends to be an "itchy" girl because when she gets anxious she gets itchy. I'm the same way. But the rashy stuff is new.

Another edit: She has huge tonsils, but they aren't concerning her allergy/asthma doc or pediatrician. She had strep 4 or 5 times in 18 months, with the last case being 14 months ago. Just something I thought of that.

Edited by Nakia

I don't know medical stuff, but I think you're right looking into those symptoms and wondering if it's all connected. There are definitely stories of kids who's "ADD" symptoms improved with a change in diet. There are some ENT docs who remove adenoids and get them to improve. So I'd definitely pursue your line of thinking further, even though I myself don't know enough to help you. :)

I don't know medical stuff, but I think you're right looking into those symptoms and wondering if it's all connected. There are definitely stories of kids who's "ADD" symptoms improved with a change in diet. There are some ENT docs who remove adenoids and get them to improve. So I'd definitely pursue your line of thinking further, even though I myself don't know enough to help you. :)

Thanks! I edited my post to add that she did have a problem with strep for a while, but she hasn't had it in 14 months.

My friend's daughter had some vague symptoms and poor height/weight and they randomly did a blood test for celiac, and it turns out she has celiac. So I would ask for that. They did a lot of blood tests and allergy tests and it turns out she is also allergic to eggs but might grow out of it.

This little girl is really helped by the diet she is on.

I do think it is worth asking for it, just b/c it turned out that way for my friend.

I would get her iron checked as part of her evaluation if you haven't had it done recently. I need to get my DDs rechecked too. They were babies when their iron was super low but the difference in their communication and understanding when we started them on a supplement was astounding. They went from being at a

0-3month old level to a normal 2yr old level within about 4 months. We used to get their iron checked regularly in case of a return to lower levels but haven't for a few years. DD has some signs of LDs and the guy who did her evaluation just asked me last week to ask the primary Dr to recheck her iron. She's small as well and pretty picky.

Do you happen to have my dd in a tiner package?

Strep, big tonsils, stomachaches, vague not feeling well complaints. She is very fatigued, though.

Her hemoglobin tends to be in the borderline anemic range. So you may want to check ferritin levels and B12. Get thyroid done while you're at it. D3 is another thing to check. Dd is low. We've had all these done.

Celiac also came to mind as I read your post, and the skin issues make me think of a dairy allergy.

My dd has CAPD. We don't have an ADD dx. We have SPD in the family in a big way. SPD can go along with ADD, and SPD can make you hypersensitive to not just things in your environment but things in your own body. So if something is off physically, someone with SPD may feel it more. And at the same time, the SPD is inefficient processing of stimuli and that can cause stress and that can be felt physically, too.

I would certainly have the blood work done. Like others said--Vit. D, Vit. B, iron, thyroid, blood sugars, etc. One stick will cover all the bases.

With the strep, allergies, and ADD, I wonder about the tonsils. How does she sleep? Is she restless, snoring, apnea, etc? Our ENT said that he "cured" many ADD kids by removing their tonsils and adenoids. They just looked ADD from the tonsils/adenoids interfering with good sleep.

The food allergies would certainly be worth looking at as well. Intolerances too. The eczema, asthma, etc. can all go with those as well. So can the growth delays.

I certainly believe that some kids are just ADD but there are many cases where there are other issues at play as well.

Thanks everyone!! I put in a call to our pediatrician today. The phone nurse was amazing! Our ped is out of the office until Monday, and they are going to get back in touch with me then.

ETA: She doesn't snore and seems to sleep well. Her allergy/asthma doctor doesn't think she needs to have her tonsils/adenoids removed.

Nakia, considering the diets, I feel, is a good place to start. While they don't work for everyone, better to know after trying, which category your little one fits in. I agree with all the testing recommended to you but just wanted to add that some sensitivities do not show up in some testing. One recommendation I have for you is to check your library for Dr. Bock's book "Healing the New Childhood Epidemics". It was a real eyeopener for me and explains a lot about testing and the diets. Every time we have slipped up and had some small amounts for dairy or gluten we have lived to regret it with both boys. The boys and I are sticking with the gfcf diet and we shall see what our future evaluations show. :grouphug: so many things to consider and look into!