Menu

Is this too much writing for 9th grader?

I'm having my 9th grader do Writing with Skill, R & S English writing assignments as they come up, and composition suggestions in Abeka Literature as they come up. He thinks it's too much.

He says he loves WWS, just not the others. He's never been a great fan of writing. He did complete the Writing Strands series, but I was never able to get him to do the writing assignments for History/Science as outlined in the Logic stage of TWTM, so I'm avoiding it for high school now as well. But, I do want to give him plenty of writing anyway. WWS does include sci/hist topics so that helps.

Any advice or opinions would be helpful.

I'm having my 9th grader do Writing with Skill, R & S English writing assignments as they come up, and composition suggestions in Abeka Literature as they come up. He thinks it's too much.

He says he loves WWS, just not the others. He's never been a great fan of writing. He did complete the Writing Strands series, but I was never able to get him to do the writing assignments for History/Science as outlined in the Logic stage of TWTM, so I'm avoiding it for high school now as well. But, I do want to give him plenty of writing anyway. WWS does include sci/hist topics so that helps.

Any advice or opinions would be helpful.

That combination would be too much for my 9th grader. My son is doing WWS, too, and I think it's WAAAAYYYYYYYY better than the R&S writing lessons (we use R&S only for grammar). He, too, had a hard time with writing when he was younger, and he still claims that he is not a fan of having to write. But, he does like WWS better than when we tried to do R&S writing lessons and when I was trying to implement the WTM methods myself.

I see WWS as a foundational, thorough program, and the student can take what he learns from it and *use* the skills for history/literature/science assignments that you make up. I haven't actually done this yet (other things crowding time right now), but I plan to implement this as we go deeper into beta-testing WWS 2. Ideally, we'll do WWS four days a week, and then I'll give a fifth day assignment, using WWS skills, based on his history/literature/science reading.

I adore WWS and the freedom it offers to apply skills to content subjects. :D For us, using other writing curriculums or writing assignments from other history/science/literature curriculums would clutter our brains unnecessarily. With WWS, I feel like I can see the bigger picture of what writing skills are necessary and what they are for, and how they can be applied anywhere. I don't want to clutter that up.

My 9th grader is using WWS at double pace as well as writing for mythology and literature. I don't think it is too much. Some of the assignments in WWS take only 10 or 15 minutes. I'd say altogether she spends about 4-5 hours a week in some part of the writing process.

Perhaps it isn't the quantity of writing that he is disliking. I personally would poke my eyes out if I had to do R&S writing assignments. :tongue_smilie: I know you said you tried to do WTM style writing across the curricula but could you find a topic he is passionate about and have him use it to practice what he is learning in WWS? Even if he does a one level outline and writes a short summary?

Or, it could be the combo of two writing methods; i.e. WWS and R&S, combined with lit assignments that makes it two much. If your son is still learning to write, he might not be ready for anything more than writing instruction from one resource and short responses for literature. I know mothers on this board successfully combine curriculum, but we've always used just one writing curriculum and worked on that until it was finished. Mixing methods can be confusing. It can also keep the student and mentor from fully understanding and taking advantage of any one method. Btw, we are using a full writing curriculum, and other than short writing assignments for Bible, history and literature, we don't do much writing beyond the assignments from our curriculum. When we finish one level, we apply what we have learned to a few cross-curriculum assignments and move on to the next level.

Edited by 1Togo

Are you using WWS 1 or 2?

My 9th grader is doing the following. One week of WWS 2 each week. An occasional literature assignments, an occasional logic writing assignment(those together don't add up to one a week and some are just paragraphs). Each week he writes a summary of the weekly 2 hour history class that he attends locally. This is 500-1000 words each week. This has been so very good for him. At first I grumbled in my heart about it, feeling like it wasn't time well spent to regurgitate what the teacher talked about, but I've changed my mind. He has gained speed, something my older two never got. He has to organize his thoughts and write from his notes. He gets to practice writing without having to invent the content. He has gained speed and confidence. The content gets reinforced in his mind. He has the pressure of a deadline (due 48 hours after he leaves class).

If you could recreate this somehow, it might be worth dropping most or all of the Abeka and R & S assignments. If you are using WWS 1 you could also pick up the pace there.

Just a few thoughts.

Editing to apologize for not remembering that the Abeka was literature. I might keep the lit assignments since they are occasional, but drop the R and S. If you aren't going to add anything, and especially if you are doing WWS1 then I don't think it is too much. However, it is probably more than my first two did in 9th grade.

Edited by Kendall